Insurance

Auke

Nov 10, 2003
Yes. The insurance agent is located right next to the customs at the car ferry port.

jorai

Jul 15, 2006
Can I get compulsory third party liability insurance for Laos at the Nakhon Phanom crossing and/or at the Bun Kan/Pakxan crossing?

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
jorai;272240 wrote: Can I get compulsory third party liability insurance for Laos at the Nakhon Phanom crossing and/or at the Bun Kan/Pakxan crossing?
Yes you can get AGL at the Pakxan crossing.
Plus I'm sure it is available at the Nakhon Phanom / Tha Khek crossing, but you have to be able to enter Laos across the bridge first, & this may be problematic.

jorai

Jul 15, 2006
Davidfl;272242 wrote: Yes you can get AGL at the Pakxan crossing.
Plus I'm sure it is available at the Nakhon Phanom / Tha Khek crossing, but you have to be able to enter Laos across the bridge first, & this may be problematic.
Thanks, David, for your most helpful response. Is there any harm in trying to cross at the Nakhon Phanom bridge first (I read it will be opened officially on the auspicious date of 11 Nov 2011) and, that failing, proceed to the Pakxan crossing? One concern I guess is that the road from one crossing to the next leads along the Mekong and may well be damaged from recent flooding but this would be the case on both sides of the border.

Will I get compulsory third party liability insurance for Thailand at the Poipet crossing from Cambodia? I directed my inquiry to e-insurancethailand.com and expat support Tony Dabbs was kind enough to respond that I "should be able" to get coverage for Thailand at the border. Can someone confirm that this is the case when entering Thailand from Cambodia at Poipet on a Cambodia-registered 250ccm Suzuki Djebel?

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
jorai;272268 wrote: Thanks, David, for your most helpful response. Is there any harm in trying to cross at the Nakhon Phanom bridge first (I read it will be opened officially on the auspicious date of 11 Nov 2011) and, that failing, proceed to the Pakxan crossing? One concern I guess is that the road from one crossing to the next leads along the Mekong and may well be damaged from recent flooding but this would be the case on both sides of the border.

Will I get compulsory third party liability insurance for Thailand at the Poipet crossing from Cambodia? I directed my inquiry to e-insurancethailand.com and expat support Tony Dabbs was kind enough to respond that I "should be able" to get coverage for Thailand at the border. Can someone confirm that this is the case when entering Thailand from Cambodia at Poipet on a Cambodia-registered 250ccm Suzuki Djebel?
Re Nakhon Phanom / Tha Khek I'd say that the Lao authorities will try to enforce a no bikes ban entering Laos at the start.
And if that is the case then Bun Kan / Pakxan is your next best option.
Ubon - Chong Mek / Vang Tao in the far south is ok though, as it is a land crossing. The Mekong bridge crossing is 35 kms inside Laos from the border.

jorai

Jul 15, 2006
David, thanks once more.

Based on your expectation about the Nakhon Phanom crossing I was ready to head straight to the Pakxan crossing.

However, I have wanted to cross Monday Oct. 31. Now I understand that the Thai government, in order to help people deal with the flood, has declared a couple of holidays including Monday in many provinces. I have not figured out yet if the province in which the Pakxan crossing is located is among them but I presume chances are that it is and that I cannot cross because customs are not open.

Therefore I am again planning on heading to Nakhon Phanom first and give that crossing a try, hoping that it is open on Monday.