Into Lao thru Nan by Huay Kon...

Apr 2, 2007
Hi, i m a newbies in town from singapore as i rode my yamaha XT250, as my Thai friend told me there is a way to go into Lao by Nan thru Huay Kon border as izzt abit shorter by this way I guess, as my another rider friend from singapore told me not all foreign bike r allow to cross thru all the the border, hope to hear some reply as i m planning to leave on monday, thanks... Or maybe we can meet for a chat 0881225058, thanks...

Dec 27, 2007
That's a sleepy little crossing and they don't seem to get many foreigners there, but depending on where you're headed there's no reason you can't cross there.
121010LaoFlagsSSR.jpg

121010NamNgeunCheckpointSSR.jpg

If I were to go that way again I'd get a visa in advance, as the visa desk on the Lao side isn't really staffed at this border crossing. Rather, on the rare occasion a foreigner shows up here they call the immigration official and eventually he shows up and takes care of you.

The Thai side was a lot faster than the Lao side-
121010ThaiBorderVersys1SSR.jpg

121010ThungchanCustomsSSR.jpg

Happy Trails!

Tony

Ps- one of the little shacks you see on the right in this picture sells insurance-
121010ThaiLaoBorderSSR.jpg

Apr 2, 2007
Ok, thanks u, TonyBKK, as I dun need to get the visa as in Asian regulations we r allows to cross without visa, as I m planing to head to Luang Prabang n down south to Vientiane out by Nong Khai, thanks for ur reply, cheer... 👍👍👍

TonyBKK;283325 wrote: That's a sleepy little crossing and they don't seem to get many foreigners there, but depending on where you're headed there's no reason you can't cross there.
121010LaoFlagsSSR.jpg

121010NamNgeunCheckpointSSR.jpg

If I were to go that way again I'd get a visa in advance, as the visa desk on the Lao side isn't really staffed at this border crossing. Rather, on the rare occasion a foreigner shows up here they call the immigration official and eventually he shows up and takes care of you.

The Thai side was a lot faster than the Lao side-
121010ThaiBorderVersys1SSR.jpg

121010ThungchanCustomsSSR.jpg

Happy Trails!

Tony

Ps- one of the little shacks you see on the right in this picture sells insurance-
121010ThaiLaoBorderSSR.jpg

Dec 27, 2007
Ah, you hold an ASEAN passport- lucky you, that saves you some hassles at the borders :)

Have a great trip and don't forget to share some pictures with us!

A few of us will be headed to Luang Prabang next weekend on road bikes, via Vientiane and Van Vieng.

Maybe we'll cross paths!

Happy Trails!

Tony :happy1:

Apr 2, 2007
Ok, thanks for the reply, if u guy saw a blue Yamaha XT250 with a yellow helmet n that is me...  Everyone ride safe... Live hard, ride hard... Cheers...

Another thing to ask, as I just read the map, if I go in by Huay Kon so I take the right toward XAYABOURY, n izzt passable for my motard to go thru the dirt rd to LUANG PRABANG???

TonyBKK;283329 wrote: Ah, you hold an ASEAN passport- lucky you, that saves you some hassles at the borders :)

Have a great trip and don't forget to share some pictures with us!

A few of us will be headed to Luang Prabang next weekend on road bikes, via Vientiane and Van Vieng.

Maybe we'll cross paths!

Happy Trails!

Tony :happy1: