It's A Good Tradition.

Sep 1, 2011
I was riding back to Pai from Chiang Mai this afternoon and despite the condition of the road, it was a good ride. I passed three blokes on Versys, all returned a wave or a nod, as did the bloke on the big sports bike, and the couple on 250 chook chasers.

There was a party of about 8 on Harleys (maybe a Goldwing in there also) heading from Pai to Chiang Mai, and not one of them acknowledged the universal greeting as riders pass each other. Very bad form guys! If you're too frightened to take a hand off the bars to wave, that's okay. It's good to recognise kindred spirits. You can nod, or even flash the light. That way you advance the cause and reputation of motorcyclists everywhere, you also risk being thought of, as being good blokes rather than a bunch of arrogant knobs.

Oct 20, 2012
Being a new rider in Thailand i was not aware this was the norm we certainly dont do it in Liverpool or Mexico.
Although where ever i travelled in my in my various campervans and motorhomes.so i will give it a go..
I actually told a harley rider yesterday quite proudly about my new Versys he actually went pffftt whatever that means .i an not the type of takes something like that so gave him a bit of a mouth full.....i just put it down to an arrogant drunk..i dont think it maffers what type of you ride....DOES IT?

Dec 27, 2007
C'mon Cap'n, do you really want to turn this into an us vs them slagging off thread? :happy1:

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
Interesting topic, this greeting of other riders. When I puttered around in the US on my old XS650 most other riders ignored me, which was fine with me. Some riders of older bikes like Triumphs or Guzzis or Yamaha SR500s would wave sometimes or flash their headlights. I would wave back, even though I didn't know them, but we had something in common - the love for singles or twins from the seventies and eighties.
Then I picked up a slightly damaged ZX9R which was the fastest bike at the time, fixed it up with a new fairing, mirrors, turn signals aso. When I rode around, about every other sportbike rider waved at me. At first I waved back but then I got kind of tired of it. I didn't want to be a d!ck so I waved but frankly I preferred if they would just leave me alone!
I've never been a "group guy" even though I am a team player. But I don't like to ride in groups or get together every weekend with lots of other riders to talk about their bikes. I rather talk one-on-one at a dealership, ordering parts, or when I buy a helmet or have new tires installed, if anyone is around and likes to talk. Met several nice riders that way.
I sold the ZX9R with a plus after only 1000 miles, it just wasn't my kind of bike. Came across a used XR650L and I loved that one from the start. I bought the Ninja 900 for its looks and what it represented (well to be honest I smelled a deal) but was disappointed. The XR was all plastic, no "lightning candy blue", no chrome, no titanium exhaust (which was stock on the ZX9), so I didn't expect much, thought I could turn it around. But I kept it for quite some time; put a K&N air filter and a Supertrapp exhaust on it and a bigger main jet in the carb. Got me a DR650SE on top of it. I've been an Enduro fan ever since!
And I was even more happy when I realized that Enduro riders weren't waving at each other.

Oct 20, 2012
Well just ad me 1st ride to Khon Kaen and it was a bikers party in the blues bar and i can honestly can say every one of them lads on their Harleys where obnoxius pricks..
Youve gott an alf decent bike its not Bentley tho is it
Very dissapointed with the Thai biking mob at the moment...hopefully ile meet some good lads

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
ok guys. let's not turn this into a Harley bashing thread.
There's good & bad everywhere.
Smile & wave / acknowledge the other rider if you can. If not keep the power on & don't worry about it. Some guys have a lot on their mind when riding. Plus for some it aint so easy, I have trouble lifting my wonky left arm to wave, so its a nod of the head, or a flash of the lights, or if the road's clear & straight a wave with the right hand. If not I just keep going & enjoying the ride myself.

May 27, 2011
jimbobs;285140 wrote: .... certainly dont do it in Liverpool .... I actually told a harley rider yesterday quite proudly about my new Versys he actually went pffftt whatever that means .... I don't think it maffers what type of (bike) you ride....DOES IT?
I could make a joke & say that scousers wouldn't wave 'cos they'd be afraid someone'd nick their bike if they took their hands off it, but I couldn't be that offensive. Oh, I just have been - sorry!!;);)

Were you a long-time biker in UK, jimbobs? In all my 40 years biking there, a wave, nod of the head or headlamp flash were almost universal greetings among bikers. Must admit, it appeared to be a fading habit in recent years, maybe because there's a different type of biker around these days.

As for the Harley rider, he's probably just upset that he paid more in duties & taxes for his bike than you paid in total for yours yet all that extra cash gets him a bike thats far less practical than your Versys, even if it gets admiring glances from those who know no better.

You can go "pfffftt" to me and my unfashionable bike any time you like if we ever meet on the roads around KK/Roi Et area, I won't take offence & might even manage a hearty laugh. Somehow I don't think you'd do that - you don't seem that type of bloke.

Dec 27, 2007
Aight, well, before this thread gets locked, let me share the following, which I hope will not offend anyone, or perhaps will offend everyone? ;)

TOP 10 REASONS WHY HARLEY RIDERS DON’T WAVE BACK:

10. Afraid it will invalidate warranty.
9. Leather and studs make it too heavy to raise arm.
8. Refuse to wave to anyone whose bike is already paid for.
7. Afraid to let go of handlebars because they might vibrate off.
6. Rushing wind would blow scabs off the new tattoos.
5. Angry because just took out second mortgage to pay luxury tax on new Harley.
4. Just discovered that fine print in owner’s manual and realized that H-D is partially owned by Honda.
3. Can’t tell if other riders are waving or just reaching to cover their ears like everyone else.
2. Remembers the last time a Harley rider waved back, he impaled his hand on helmet spike.
1. They’re too tired from spending hours polishing all that chrome to lift their arms.

TOP TEN REASONS WHY GOLDWING RIDERS DON’T WAVE BACK:

10. Wasn’t sure whether other riders was waving or making an obscene gesture.
9. Afraid might get frostbite if hand is removed from heated grip.
8. Has arthritis and the past 400 miles have made it difficult to raise arm.
7. Reflection from etched windshield momentarily blinded him.
6. The espresso machine just finished.
5. Was actually asleep when other rider waved.
4. Was in a three-way conference call with stockbroker and accessories dealer.
3. Was distracted by odd shaped blip on radar screen.
2. Was simultaneously adjusting the air suspension, seat height, programmable CD player, seat temperature, and satellite navigation system.
1. Couldn’t find the “auto wave back” button on dashboard.

TOP 10 REASONS CROTCHROCKETS DON’T WAVE BACK:

10. They have not been riding long enough to know they’re supposed to.
9. They’re going too fast to have enough time to register the movement and respond.
8. You weren’t wearing bright enough gear.
7. If they stick their arm out going that fast, they’ll rip it out of the socket.
6. They’re too occupied with trying to get rid of chicken strips.
5. They look way too cool with both hands on the bars or they don’t want to unbalance themselves while standing on the tank.
4. Their skin tight-kevlar-ballistic-nylon-kangaroo-leather suits prevent any position other than fetal.
3. Raising an arm allows bugs into the armholes of their tank tops.
2. It’s too hard to do one-handed stoppies.
1. They were too busy slipping their flip-flops back on.

TOP 10 REASONS WHY BMW RIDERS DON’T WAVE BACK:

10. New Aerostitch suit too stiff to raise arm.
9. Removing a hand from the bars is considered “bad form”.
8. Your bike isn’t weird enough looking to justify acknowledgement.
7. Too sore from an 800-mile day ride on a stock “comfort” seat.
6. Too busy programming the GPS, monitoring radar, listening to Ipod, XM, or talking on the cell phone.
5. I'm an Iron Butt rider and you’re not!
4. Wires from Gerbings are too short.
3. You’re not riding the “right kind” of BMW.
2. You haven’t been properly introduced.
1. Afraid it will be misinterpreted as a friendly gesture.

Aug 13, 2007
Thailand
I'm a loner and prefer to do my own thing. On my last trip around northern Thailand I found that many other riders gave a wave or a nod. I appreciate the friendly gesture and try to respond even if I'll never meet them in person.

Oct 20, 2012
I think The last few threads av been spot on.Tonys and DesnoNuts in partular...
I have ridden bikes since i was 6 ..fastest bike ive had was an R6,,, my last bike in the uk was a virago piece of crap....no ime probably not a biker but i would ride a honda wave before i would drive my wifes honda jazz
Big bikes are not for me i would definely die...just done 220 kms on the versys not even run in yet..
So a big bike is not safe for me....
I dont want to be the best i ride bikes mate in the uk. Mexico and Thailand

Apr 23, 2006
I think you have covered just about everyone Tony! Have been out to Fang today (to Uncle Jack's Hidaway - as good as ever & in a lovely spot) Saw quite a few bikers out today including two large groups so just as an exercise - waved at one & all - some responded some didn't, assorted bikes including several HD's Had got out of the habit here but it was standard practice in UK - certainly still was when I left in February 2007. Was also the custom in US & Canada.

Aug 3, 2012
jimbobs;285140 wrote: Being a new rider in Thailand i was not aware this was the norm we certainly dont do it in Liverpool or Mexico.
Although where ever i travelled in my in my various campervans and motorhomes.so i will give it a go..
I actually told a harley rider yesterday quite proudly about my new Versys he actually went pffftt whatever that means .i an not the type of takes something like that so gave him a bit of a mouth full.....i just put it down to an arrogant drunk..i dont think it maffers what type of you ride....DOES IT?
If it has two wheels and an engine; it is a motorcycle - good luck to you and here is a BIG wave too!!!

Aug 3, 2012
Hua Hin;285244 wrote: I'm a loner and prefer to do my own thing. On my last trip around northern Thailand I found that many other riders gave a wave or a nod. I appreciate the friendly gesture and try to respond even if I'll never meet them in person.
Good good good. (My original post was just "good" but was rejected because it was too short????!!!!????)

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
For me I try to wave or nod at any oncoming 'big-bike' traffic. Even flash them young Thais on their restored old scooters or on their KSR's, CBR150's a thumbs up.
This is always returned with big smiles and waves. Once you stop somewhere in the middle of nowhere you'll find some Thai bikers stop and ask if you have a problem and they could assist. That's why I now enjoy riding mainly with Thai's, there's only smiles and no whining and complaining about route, food, petrol stops, non performing bike, road condition, sun-rain-mist,...........
Will now stop to greet any HD rider as out of >30 last weekend not even one greeted in return on their heaps of scrap.
Stopped at Cabbage and Condoms for lunch last week, 6 tatooed-black skull shirts-bearded-HD Farangs (by listening to them native English speakers) also came in and not even one answered my greeting only one guy on a white Beemer returned that courtesy although all of them could easily identify me as fellow biker. That filled the pot for me finally.
Overseas, most of the bikers I met, even riding on my fathers 300cc Honda scoot, returned a nod or wave, in Austria at least also the HD riders were that polite, but there's only few of them anyway......luckily......cheers, Franz

Feb 11, 2007
Franz;285337 wrote: For me I try to wave or nod at any oncoming 'big-bike' traffic. Even flash them young Thais on their restored old scooters or on their KSR's, CBR150's a thumbs up.
This is always returned with big smiles and waves. Once you stop somewhere in the middle of nowhere you'll find some Thai bikers stop and ask if you have a problem and they could assist. That's why I now enjoy riding mainly with Thai's, there's only smiles and no whining and complaining about route, food, petrol stops, non performing bike, road condition, sun-rain-mist,...........
Will now stop to greet any HD rider as out of >30 last weekend not even one greeted in return on their heaps of scrap.
Stopped at Cabbage and Condoms for lunch last week, 6 tatooed-black skull shirts-bearded-HD Farangs (by listening to them native English speakers) also came in and not even one answered my greeting only one guy on a white Beemer returned that courtesy although all of them could easily identify me as fellow biker. That filled the pot for me finally.
Overseas, most of the bikers I met, even riding on my fathers 300cc Honda scoot, returned a nod or wave, in Austria at least also the HD riders were that polite, but there's only few of them anyway......luckily......cheers, Franz
Have seen a guy riding alone on a white Beemer twice on the -1095 and both times a friendly wave. It is indeed a good and friendly tradition.