Kawasaki 650cc Fun Race at BIRA Circuit on December 18th, 2010

Dec 27, 2007
Some pictures from today's Kawasaki 650cc Fun Race at BIRA Circuit!

A fun mix of ER6n's, Ninja 650R's and a couple of Versys too!

NormanW posing with his ER6n- looking great in the new leathers boots and gloves!
Dec18thJonnieAtBIRA1SSR.jpg

NormanW's Slime Green ER6n and my ER6n"RR"-
Dec18thER6nsAtBIRA1SSR.jpg

Dec18thER6nsAtBIRASSR.jpg

Getting ready to roll!
Dec18thJonnieTonyBIRA1SSR.jpg

Mugging for the photographers before the race-
Dec18thBeforeRaceBIRASSR.jpg

Khun Pep looks a bit unhinged but rest assured he's really a great guy!

On the starting grid-
Dec18thBIRAStartingGridSSR.jpg

Starting positions were determined by random draw and I ended up WAY BACK in the pack at position 15...
Dec18thBIRAStartingGrid1SSR.jpg

Ready to ROLL!
Dec18thBIRAStartingGridMeSSR.jpg

Blasting down the straight-
Dec18thER6nRRBIRAStraightSSR.jpg

Big thanks to my mate Neil who took most of these pictures.

Looking forward to the next one!

Let the Good Times ROLL!

Tony
Dec18BIRAER6nRRSSR.jpg

Dec 27, 2007
Well, considering that the event was entirely FREE, including food and beverages, an ambulance and paramedics and spotters at every corner I thought it was a pretty FUN and well organized fun race :)
What makes it a "fun race" is the fact that there is no purse or prizes, though I'm told that if I'd stuck around until later I would have received a trophy ;-)
As soon as they start holding "real" 650cc races I expect I won't even make it onto the podium. There are some Thai pro racers out there with no fear and mad skills.
As for me, I'm almost 40, this was my 2nd race, and I just do it for fun.
Ride On!
Tony

Dec 27, 2007
Some more pics from the Kawasaki Fun Race at BIRA Circuit!

Dec18thKawaTrackDayRacePic.jpg

I started at number 15 on the grid and had to get past all of these guys!

There's my friend Jonnie (NormanW on ThaiVisa) in green on the number 53 ER6n-
Dec18thKawaTrackDay.jpg

Good pic of Jonnie on number 53-
Dec18thKawaTrackDayER6nJonnie.jpg

For some reason they allowed a trio of Ninja 250R's to join the 650cc race as well-
Dec18thKawaTrackDay250R.jpg

Dec18thKawaTrackDay250R1.jpg

Dec18thKawaTrackDay250R2.jpg

Oddly enough two of them crashed out...

I thought I'd have trouble with number 14 as he certainly LOOKS the business!
Dec18thKawaTrackDayTRER6n.jpg

Dec18thKawaTrackDayER6n14.jpg

It turns out flashy graphics don't actually make you go faster ;-)

Dec18thKawaTrackDayER6n14a.jpg

Still, a damn nice looking ER6n!

Some other random pics.
Dec18thKawaTrackDayER6n34.jpg

Khun Pep on a nicely tarted up Versys-
Dec18thKawaTrackDayVersys.jpg

Knee down on a Versys!
VersysBIRADec18th.jpg

Some cool graphics on this Ninja 650R:
Dec18thKawaTrackDay650R.jpg

Here's Khun Pui who came in second-
Dec18thKawaTrackDayER6nPui1.jpg

Dec18thKawaTrackDayER6nPui.jpg

Dec18thKawaTrackDayER6nPui2.jpg

And finally a couple pics of yours truly :)
Dec18thKawaTrackDayER6nRR.jpg

Dec18thKawaTrackDayER6nRR1.jpg

Woohoo!

Let the Good Times ROLL!
KawasakiSmiley2.jpg

Tony

jon

Nov 3, 2006
Tony, fun race or not, getting past 14 other bikes in what was probably a fairly short race, was going well. I just wondered if you have thought of putting a fairing on the bike? I see the Northern Irish racer, Ryan Farquahar has been racing an ER6 which started out as a ER6F but he then changed the bodywork and seat to that of a ZX10 and it looks great and seems to go really well. The fairings on the little Ninjas might also be persuaded to fit? A fairing of some kind might give you a bit more speed down the straights, but I am no expert.

daewoo

Dec 6, 2005
great photos BigBike... and looks like you have good body position and everything... Have you been getting tuition at Bira or just watching lots of GP2 racing???

Cheers,
Daewoo

Dec 27, 2007
Cheers Mate!
I took a Kawasaki riding course a while back where they gave me some good feedback on body position.
I've never taken a racing course but I've been blessed to have some much more experienced riders take me under their wing, so to speak, and give me tons of advice which I try apply as best I can.
There have even been members on this forum, such as Brian (forget his board name) who have given me valuable advice on suspension set up and track tires.
All good fun!
So far the Kawa 650cc races have not attracted any seriously fast racers. Probably because there is no purse. But I know too that when I go up against the guys at the Pirelli Track Day this coming Sunday that I'll be eating their dust ;-)
080810BlueRaceBgSSR.jpg

Ride On!
Tony

Nov 11, 2006
Tony as you may know that while the Blue Group is supposed to be the slow/beginner group many faster riders enter in this group so they look good and fast against geriatric schmucks like me.
And I enter in the Green group just so I don't get taken out by those riders in the Blue group who are in fact novices/track virgins!
That doesn't mean to say there are no idiots in the Green Group either.
What group have you entered in? By the above pictures/results you should be in Green! See you there!

Dec 27, 2007
JohhnyE;263067 wrote: Tony as you may know that while the Blue Group is supposed to be the slow/beginner group many faster riders enter in this group so they look good and fast against geriatric schmucks like me.
And I enter in the Green group just so I don't get taken out by those riders in the Blue group who are in fact novices/track virgins!
That doesn't mean to say there are no idiots in the Green Group either.
What group have you entered in? By the above pictures/results you should be in Green! See you there!

Hiya Johhny!

That's the funny thing- the Pirelli Track day last August was my first one and only my second race ever and first on the Gixxer so I entered the Blue (Beginner) Group.

During all the practice sessions it was a motley mix of bikes and riders and I was thinking to myself, gee, I might actually make it to the podium.

Then when it was actually time to race all these guys dropped down from the Green and Red groups:
080810BlueRaceBgSSR.jpg

I wouldn't call them track virgins- some of them were wicked fast and I finished 11th...

Good fun but this time I might just do the practice sessions and skip the race...

We'll see how it goes!

Happy Holidays!

Tony
santa_bike.jpg