Kawasaki Big Bikes In Thailand

I'm new to the forum and I appreciate all of the input from u guys on the KLX-250S. Seems like the perfect little bike for me. Just want something other then the normal thing for running out to our fields, playing a tad bit and around the province. Eventually I'd like to go up in scale to something more along the touring lines.

I had the wife stop in for me at the small kawa shop in Nong Khai and she walked out completely unimpressed. Not too helpful and quoted some crazy high prices. The guy there claimed 2?0K+ for the KLX-250 and 150K+ for the 110. She thought he was a bit nuts and the rest of the staff seemed only interested in their cell phones. She's going to call the shop on Rama 9 in BKK when she gets a chance. I'll have to check and see if Udorn has a kawa shop.

Eric

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
Yes Udon has shops, but the truth is you will be better served working through the shop in Bangkok. I have spoken to the lady in Bangkok myself. They will go as far a delievering the bike to you and you won't even have to go there. If you sure of what you want. They have set up a service agreement with a shop here in Udon.

This is probably going to blow your mind, but when I get my mine I will have them mail it to me. :shock:

I refuse to ride in Bangkok, to many strange rules. :oops:

Dec 27, 2007
Happy to report that finally the Kawasaki Big Bike showroom in Bangkok is accepting orders for the new 2008 Ninja 250R.
Also happy to announce that the price is less than the rumored 150,000 - 180,000 price that has been floating around on various forums.
Price before tax and registration is 139,900
7% tax is 9479
They will start delivering the new bikes in the next week :D
Let the good times roll!
0813BabyNinja1Sm.jpg

[/img]

That's a great picture! Got the right color shirt for it.

Wife talked to the Rama 9 shop this morning about the KLX-250S and was quoted the same 149,900 price. She was happy about that. She was told they can't take any orders until mid September. So I will wait like a good boy...fidgit...fidgit...

Eric

KZ

Aug 20, 2003
GREAT NEWS! A 250 Enduro for 150K THB, with registration, that's almost too good to believe; then the Ninja 250 for even less - congrats, Kawasaki! - I've owned welover 30 bikes, but only three Kwakkers, the 250 Ninja, which is an amazing bike for its size, it revvs to 14,000 with well over 30 horses and a cool new look for 2008; a 250 KLR Enduro, which is a versatile little city/beach hopper; and a ZX9R, which I never opened up all the way, it was just too much; shifting at 9000rpm was exciting enough for me. But I'd buy a KAWASAKI now just because I want to support them for their guts to sell the first street legal bikes under 600cc in Thailand. I prefer Yamaha, but I'm not interested in any bike they offer here.
I bet this coming tourist season you will see plenty new Kawa's on the road!
Seems there is a lot of interest in the KLR, personally I prefer the the Tracker since I'll do 90% city riding. Price should be the same as the KLR?
I wonder when HONDA will follow...
What about choppers/cruisers? I'm not a fan, but the market segment is quite big and I see lots of new Phantoms, Kawasaki Boss and old Steeds. People pay up to 150K THB for a clean, but ten year old 400 Steed with papers. Why doesn't Kawasaki offer a 250/400 chopper like the Vulcan?

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
Well the 900 sure seems to fit the bill in that category. But no off road with that. Dirt roads Hey you can do that on any bike just got to slow down a bit.

I droll ever time I look at the thing. Like you I enjoy Yamaha, but there not offering anything I have an interest in. But I'm only going to buy one and that will be next year, hardly worth stocking.

Each style of bike has to be cleared for Thailand a I understand it. It's not wide open yet but certainly better then I have ever seen before

Sep 4, 2007
Seen reports on Thai Visa that Kawasaki has now started delivering new 250;s and not only from Bangkok but from more local dealers as well.
Any of you guys who ordered bikes actually got one yet?

Dec 27, 2007
Woo Hoo!

Love my new Kawasaki Ninja 250R!
0827Ninja1Sm.jpg

Picked her up Monday afternoon and made it home in rush hour Bangkok traffic- that was exciting but not something I'm in a hurry to repeat.

Funny about the manufacturer telling us to break in our bikes gently and not exceed 4000 RPM, because the mechanics at the Kawasaki shop on Rama 9 were winding 'em WAY up in the parking lot.

Anyway- the new Ninjas come with a 2 year warranty, so what the hel_l, I'm subscribing to the hard break-in theory and if something gives, well...

Work and rain kept me from riding yesterday, but today I did well over 200Km

My a$$ is sore!!! I think for distance riding an after market seat may be a good idea.

Anyway- I wanted to find some twisty roads to really get a feel for how the 250R handles, and the only place I could think of that's kind of close is Khao Yao National Park.

I found a nice way to get there:
BKKKhaoYai.jpg

For folks in Bangkok just take Ramkamhaeng all the way till it ends, then right on Suwintawong (Highway 304), and left when you reach Highway 3481. Good roads all the way!

That Highway 3077 through Khao Yai to Pak Chong is a thing of beauty! Got the tires worn right out to the edges on the twisties and the Baby Ninja handled like a dream. Very light and quick yet stable over bumps and ripples in the pavement.

0827NinjaSm.jpg

Since I was riding solo I couldn't get any "action" shots... That'll have to wait until another time.

This is the smallest bike I've ever owned, yet for riding in Thailand the power is adequate. What this bike lacks in horsepower it makes up for in handling and a hard to define "fun factor".

This is also the first Fuel Injected motorcycle I've ever owned, and from everything I've read the FI version is quite superior to the carburated version they sell in the US. Throttle response is crisp and immediate, and there's no more choke to worry about.

I prefer small windy roads and that's where this bike excels- a very firm suspension gives a good feel of the road. The suspension is adjustable for preload. This little engine does best over 6000 RPM. The stock exhaust has a nice little rumble in the lower RPM's.

The seat did a number on my rear, but that's probably because I haven't ridden in a few years. I think I'll get used to it. If not I know there are some aftermarket options.

Riding position is roomy and fairly upright (for a sport bike) with not too much weight on the arms and wrists. Turning is quick and effortless. Light clutch, easy shifting, solid brakes, and killer good looks- I'm a very happy rider!

Anyway- anyone want to get out this weekend and ride? Can't decide where to go- so many choices!

Let the good times roll!
motorcycle17.gif

KZ

Aug 20, 2003
Good on ya, Tony! A new bike is like a new life! I'm envious!
I had a 250 Ninja years ago and it turned me into a little racer. Funny how certain bikes make you do things you never thought you had in you... What's the top speed on it? Does it do 160km/h? I remember mine did 95mph (which should be about 150km/h) on a straight. But maybe you should wait with going top speed...
beddhist, what kind of bike did Su put a deposit on? Kawa has been taking orders for over a month on the 250s, as far as I've read. They should be ready for pick-up now.

Oct 17, 2006
Triumph have done a deal to extend the Amata Nakorn factory but as part of the deal the Thai government has asked Triumph to develop a sub 500cc probably a 250cc for the thai market . the new factory build will be started next year with a projected production of !00,000 bikes a year from 2012 which is 2 times Triumphs current production.

I reckon a 250 twin and a 500cc parralel twin could be on the cards.

KZ

Aug 20, 2003
Posted: 23.08.2008, 13:53 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My partner Su just phoned me from Bkk: Kawa started taking orders as of today. Deposit is 10000B (CC accepted) and delivery "about" 20 Sept.

Yes, delivery of the 250 KLX and D-Tracker should be 20th of September, but they've been taking orders for a couple of monyhs already. Whatever, it's great that they're available, looks like the demand is there and the first shipment is sold...
Concerning Triumph building a 250, I can't see that, a 500 maybe. I predict the new cruiser will be a sales flop, who wants a 1600cc parallel-twin cruiser?

Rhodie

Mar 5, 2006
monsterman wrote: Triumph have done a deal to extend the Amata Nakorn factory but as part of the deal the Thai government has asked Triumph to develop a sub 500cc probably a 250cc for the thai market . the new factory build will be started next year with a projected production of !00,000 bikes a year from 2012 which is 2 times Triumphs current production.

I reckon a 250 twin and a 500cc parralel twin could be on the cards.
Not sure why this Triumph news is posted here but interesting nontheless.

Monsterman
The factory no 3 has been under development since '07,
but this is first that I have heard about smaller capacity bikes.
Can you please enlighten us to the source of this interesting information?

KZ

Aug 20, 2003
I'm still interested in the difference of the KLX250 to the D-Tracker - specs are almost identical, of course, only the length changed since the rims are smaller on the Tracker. Therefore the brake discs are a bit bigger. Steering head angle should be slightly different. Gearing is the same, but the sprockets differ: 39/14 on the Enduro, 42/14 on the Supermoto.
How would three more teeth in the rear affect the pick-up and top speed?
I've watched a few movies of the Tracker doing wheelies on youtube and I'm sure this is the bike I want!

Dec 27, 2007
Enjoyed a brilliant +500 km ride on my new Ninja 250R this past weekend
laugh.gif

0830KhaoYaiNinjaSm.jpg

It's such an easy bike to ride- so light, agile, and forgiving. I'm thinking of getting one more in Kwaker Green just for the hel_l of it!
cool.gif

Day one from Bangkok to Khao Yai National Park:
BKK_KhaoYai.jpg

This is an excellent way to escape Bangkok- Ramkamhaeng to Suwintawong to Route 3481 riding at modest speeds you can reach Khao Yai in under 2 hours!

Lucky me! I flashed my Thai Drivers Liscence at the park entrance and only got charged the 40 Baht Thai price
laugh.gif

Stopped to see the Haew Narok Waterfall. The park service guys offered to hold onto my helmet and tank bag- Thanks guys!

0830HaewNarokSignSm.jpg

It's a 2km roundtrip hike with some crazy steep steps, but well worth it!

0830HaewNarok3Sm.jpg

Haew Narok Falls:
0830HaewNarokFalls1Sm.jpg

Lots of monkeys all over the place!
0830KhaoYaiMonkeys2Sm.jpg

The park was oddly quiet for a weekend and I had the roads mostly to myself (and the monkeys
wink.gif
)
0830KhaoYaiRide15Sm.jpg

I've always been pleasantly surprised at how well the roads are maintained in Thailand.
0830KhaoYaiRide12Sm.jpg

We wanted to overnight in Pak Chong, but shortly after we exited the park the rain started to fall so I ducked into a cute little resort called Grandpa's Cottage. (www.grandpacottage.com)

I knew they were cool when I saw the owners Yamaha XJR 1300 parked out back
cool.gif

Here's day two:
0831RideMap.jpg

A beautiful day for riding! Even took the baby Ninja offroad to track down the Khun Chon Waterfall-

0831KhunChonNinja1Zm.jpg

The bike is so lite that even on dirt and gravel it's pretty easy to handle.
biggrin.gif

0831KhunChon7Sm.jpg

Another nice thing about the baby Ninja- it goes FOREVER on a full tank of gas. I haven't been writing it down and keeping track, but I heard somewhere that it's supposed to get about 50 miles / gallon. I was also surprised when the dealer told me to use regular 91 Octane gasoline- this is the first sport bike I've owned that doesn't require High Octane. Quite handy as there are places in Thailand where it can hard to find high octane. So, it only costs about 400 Baht to fill the tank, and then you're good to go for nearly 400km- not bad range at all for a sportbike.

Heading home-
0831Ride8Sm.jpg

This coming weekend I'd like to ride to Khon Buri via Tha Yaek (though I'm not 100% sure that the road actually goes through...)

On some maps it looks like it goes all the way through, and on others it doesn't... I think I need to go buy a good GPS!

TheYaekKhonBuriMap.jpg

Anyone want to join me? Let the good times roll!

0831KhunChonNinjaZm.jpg

Feb 28, 2008
TonyBKK wrote: This is an excellent way to escape Bangkok- Ramkamhaeng to Suwintawong to Route 3481 riding at modest speeds you can reach Khao Yai in under 2 hours!
Wow, looks like you had fun! On your way out of BKK did you find any difficult (illegal) areas for a bike? I'm trying to compile routes out of BKK that are legal. Do you remember if Suwintawong was numbered as route 304? I think I've figured out most of your route, that is the only part I'm unsure of.

Great stuff! I hope you don't get rained on too much!

May 25, 2006
HuaHin
Hi Friends,

Excellent initiative to compile ways of escaping from Bangkok, very much interested by easy ways to get on main roads and directions with a bike.

Dec 27, 2007
Hi Meridian! :D

Yes- you are correct. Suwintawong is Route 304 (goes to Chachongsao)
This is a great way to escape the city if you are headed north, east, or northeast.

I got really lucky with the weather- last weekend was beautiful and it only rained on Saturday evening.

Hoping for more of the same this weekend- Let's ride! :D :D :D

KZ

Aug 20, 2003
Some people think after owning bikes of 750cc and up it wouldn't be any fun to have a "pee-wee bike" with only 250cc... It's quite surprising to discover how much fun you can have on a small bike, and that it could even have a few good points where it beats a big bike. Lots of good comments:
"It's such an easy bike to ride- so light, agile, and forgiving." Often a big bike is too heavy or has too much power, or way more power than you actually need. Especially here in TH with lots of smaller, winding roads you'd beat a big Ninja 900 with a small 250.
"The bike is so lite that even on dirt and gravel it's pretty easy to handle." Reminds me of my trip to Sihanoukville where I gave a guy on a Suzuki DR400 a hard time with my little CBR150R. He always got away on the straights, but when the road turned gravelly or to red dirt, I was on his heels because my light bike zipped through the dirt better on street tires - he slowed way down with the heavier bike.
"It goes FOREVER on a full tank of gas." My VTR250 uses 3.7-3.9L per 100km, the Ninja should get about the same. With a 17L tank that would make a range of 400km possible, maybe even before going on reserve. Which big bike can offer that? And it uses 91 octane.
Here in TH sometimes less is more...

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
Tony, you well had a lot of fun !! Well I don't think that any of us GT riders here in the East would mind to be joined by a high powered 250 cc bike, so whenever you feel like it, you're welcomed to join. We're planning a trip to Khorat or Sakaew-Nang Rong or Som Poi-Arunyaprathet-Chantaburi and then back via Rayong to near Pattaya from 23.-26th of October. A separate post will be done in time in the 'eastern section' of this forum.........
KZ you're right, it's not the cc that make the fun but riding itself. I have myself a 250 Honda-AX1 which I use at my condo in Chiang Mai, it's so much more easier to handle than the heavyweight FJR, especially on small mountainroads and within town. The maneuverability is amazing compared to my other heavyweight....
Cheers, Franz