Kawasaki D-Tracker or Honda CBR 250R?

Jul 28, 2008
So, after finally deciding on a D-Tracker 250cc as my first 'real' bike (will buy next month) the recent release of the new Honda CBR 250R has thrown a spanner in the works. I know they are very different bikes but I'm really tempted by the Honda, the main reasons are that it's 30k cheaper, has abs and I won't have to travel to CM to buy it or every time it needs servicing or has a problem.

I like the upright position of the D-Tracker and high seat and thought the Honda may be too cramped as I am 6'3 (191cm) but I sat on a non-abs bike today and it seemed big enough.

I would be using it for road use only around North Thailand but not for any long distance trips and I'm a novice biker, bearing this in mind which one would you choose and why?

Thanks and Happy New Year.

Jun 28, 2010
skybluestu;263526 wrote: So, after finally deciding on a D-Tracker 250cc as my first 'real' bike (will buy next month) the recent release of the new Honda CBR 250R has thrown a spanner in the works. I know they are very different bikes but I'm really tempted by the Honda, the main reasons are that it's 30k cheaper, has abs and I won't have to travel to CM to buy it or every time it needs servicing or has a problem.

I like the upright position of the D-Tracker and high seat and thought the Honda may be too cramped as I am 6'3 (191cm) but I sat on a non-abs bike today and it seemed big enough.

I would be using it for road use only around North Thailand but not for any long distance trips and I'm a novice biker, bearing this in mind which one would you choose and why?

Taking those 2 pointers into account i would tell you buy the CBR.

But if you take to riding and get the urge to explore some of the dirt up north you`ll probably wish you got the D tracker.

Toss a coin 555

gobs

Feb 8, 2007
As says Cruising, if for "road use only", I guess the CBR will give you more fun.
But if in some months or 1 year or 2 you are tempted to ride on some dirt, why not, at this moment, to go for an old bean like a Honda XR 250 or some other... Many for sale, a bit old but in good shape, on 2nd hand market in the 60/80KB range WITH green book...
Going step by step may be the right attitude:
First, go for what you are actualy tempted (or in love with): the CBR
Second, after a while, being more experienced, you will be able to "adjust" your choice(s).

Anyway, I'm sure you will be glad with both.
Good luck.

Cheese,
Gobs

Dec 27, 2007
Get the CBR for road and a KLX250 for off road. Perfect!

(BTW, is the CBR 250 ABS on sale yet? And Honda's msrp price isn't set in stone as we see the price of the non ABS model varies anywhere from 100k Baht to 130k Baht depending on which dealer you go to...)

Ride On!

Tony

Jul 28, 2008
Cheers tony I'd love to get both but if my budget for a bike was 270k I'd just get a Versys. But as I have a 7month old baby and it's my first bike I'm being responsible (for once!) and going with the Honda as a stepping stone to the Versys in a few years.

I've had x2 quotes of 120k for the ABS bike and will pay a deposit tomorrow, delivery should be 'early February'. I've seen the inflated prices too, the standard 250R is 100k in my local Greenwings but in another couple of independent dealers they are asking 110k and 115k!

KZ

Aug 20, 2003
I'd definitely go for the D-Tracker! Even though it looks like a dirt bike it is a streetbike, and perfect for road use in Thailand.
The CBR250R is the better bike for two-up riding and a bit more comfy on trips of more than let's say 100km, but the Tracker's suspension, the upright seating position and taller seat is better for daily use around town. And the fun factor is twice as high!
In the US I had quite a few bikes, in the end before I left I liked the 650 enduros the most.
I've had a VTR250 for a couple of years here in TH, it's a great little bike and I'd get one again, but if I could get an enduro or supermoto I'd definitely go for that.
I'd even take a clean, low mileage one-year-old second hand Tracker for 120K over a brand new CBR250R!

Nov 2, 2008
KZ;263592 wrote:
The CBR250R is the better bike for two-up riding and a bit more comfy on trips of more than let's say 100km,
Changing the seat makes a world of difference on the D-Tracker, and doing so is a cheap as chips here. Find my remade seat only starts to get sore at around 350k to 400k in a day. The seat has held together for 35,000 km (after it's third re-make) and really isn't bad on my one day trips to Bangkok. Try renting both, the CBR250s are available at Pops in Chiang Mai, and you'll know which is for you after a days ride on each.

Nov 7, 2007
Congrats, Phil - I agree. I had the D-Tracker and have test-ridden the CBR - I could find good arguments for one or the other, depending on use, if they were the same price. But the price difference is makes this decision a no-brainer: CBR all the way.

In terms value for the money, these two bikes should be the same price.

Jul 28, 2008
Thanks for all the replies guys, much appreciated. I just paid a deposit on a Black CBR 250R ABS model, 120k which includes registration and basic insurance. All the feedback I've read from people with the non-ABS bike has been very positive and being able to buy it and have it serviced in Chiang Rai where I live is a bonus.
The 32.5k saving will allow for a nice exhaust when they are available (from USA, not going to pay silly money for one here in Thailand) plus some Pirelli Sport Demon tyres and a few other bits and pieces. Now just have to wait for it to arrive, been told between 3-6 weeks. Happy Days!

KZ

Aug 20, 2003
Re: Kawasaki D-Tracker or Honda CBR 250R?
"In terms value for the money, these two bikes should be the same price." - I agree, and who would have thought that Honda would ever offer a 250 for that kind of money?
The CBR sells in India for a bit more than half the price of a Ninja! And compared to other 230/250cc Hondas, the new CBR is a steal! Honda will sell zillions of it, the main reason how they can price it that low.
Drawback is that soon everybody will have one - I predict it'll be the "beetle of motorcycles".
Kawasaki has only about 2% of the Thai market, so the Tracker is more expensive because of way lower sales numbers. If it only had 26 horses like the Honda!!
fishenough, I've upgraded the seat of my CBR150R, took half an hour and 300 baht. But when it comes to comparing these two bikes it should be mentioned that the seat on the CBR is better.
How come that the headline changed?

Garet

Nov 25, 2010
skybluestu;263526 wrote: So, after finally deciding on a D-Tracker 250cc as my first 'real' bike (will buy next month) the recent release of the new Honda CBR 250R has thrown a spanner in the works. I know they are very different bikes but I'm really tempted by the Honda, the main reasons are that it's 30k cheaper, has abs and I won't have to travel to CM to buy it or every time it needs servicing or has a problem.

There is a Kawasaki dealership in Bangkok that can repair all Kawasaki's. You don't have to go to Chiangmai for a repair.

The cheaper price of the CBR is definitely a draw, but I don't like the hunched riding position of the CBR, particulalrly for longer rides.

Garet

Nov 25, 2010
Actually, I think a better comparison would be the CBR 250 and the Ninja 250. The D-Tracker is not a racing bike at all, but much more versatile.