Kawasaki ER-6n released for 225,000,- Baht

KenYam

Nov 2, 2007
Tony I appreciate your info on ER-6N, disappointing to hear two bros Can is too loud, how about just removing the internals on the stock standard Can and weld it back up as it will be hidden by the motor. There does not appear to be enough room to extend the muffler further up the bike like a more traditional muffler / pipe arrangement ?

Cheers Ken F

Dec 27, 2007
Hiya KenYam,

Yes- that's an option- there's a shop here in Bangkok called K-Speed that offers to do just that- gut the stock can and make it into a glass pack muffler. I'd like to hear one before I try that mod though...

Check out this K-Speed ER6n- WOW!
KSpeedER6n2.jpg

KSpeedER6n1.jpg

KSpeedER6nTail.jpg

KSpeedER6n.jpg

More mods than meets the eye on this bike- pretty impressive!

Attachments

• KSpeedER6n2.jpg
    KSpeedER6n2.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 3,836
  • KSpeedER6n1.jpg
    KSpeedER6n1.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 622
  • KSpeedER6nTail.jpg
    KSpeedER6nTail.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 175
  • KSpeedER6n.jpg
    KSpeedER6n.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 378

KZ

Aug 20, 2003
Tony, if you like to experiment and not spend too much money, do what I did - I had a complete ss system made for my VTR250 using an aftermarket car muffler. Maybe it doesn't look as "spacy" as the TwoBros can but it sounds great! Not loud with baffle installed, but deep bass sound, just what I wanted. Take the baffle out and it's straight through but still not too loud. The thing weighs the same as the stock, though. I paid 2300 THB for the can and 1700 for the header weld job. I experimented with the baffle, the diameter could be bigger but I like it not too loud. The bike sounds like 650!

VTRssexh02jpeg.jpg

Attachments

• VTRssexh02jpeg.jpg
    VTRssexh02jpeg.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 164
Dec 27, 2007
Hey KZ-

That pipe looks good! I'm thinking most car mufflers might be too big to squeeze underneath the ER6n, but I'll keep my eyes open next time I pass one of those Thai custom muffler shops and see if they've got anything that might fit. Thanks for sharing a great idea!

Happy Trails,

Tony

Nov 2, 2008
Browsed through pictures of the Kawasaki I didn’t buy and found this ER6n (link),

untitled.jpg

IMO that is how an ER6n should look, though I'd paint the tank a different color.

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 179

KenYam

Nov 2, 2007
I like the LSL ER-6N with a minimil street fighter theme with the following;
Higher wider handle bars
Exhaust systems should be a feature so KZ style is better older boy school
Standard instrument panel & remove as much plastic as possible
All painted areas the same colour plus red pinstipes on edge of wheels
Install a power commander when available
I enjoy reading about this bike as it will make a cheap project bike inside Thailand.
Thanks to Tony, KZ & Fishenough

Regards Ken F

KZ

Aug 20, 2003
Usually I'm all for taking things off, but the LSL looks a bit like it had an accident. The front end is cool but the spaghetti exhaust with the short under-the-engine muffler doesn't look right. How about parallel headers straight down with a high muffler under the seat?

Dec 27, 2007
How does this ER6n Turbo strike you? 8)
27_turbo.jpg

A bit hard to see- but they've built an under seat exhaust that comes out the left fender. Cool!

Attachments

• 27_turbo.jpg
    27_turbo.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 173
  • 27_turbo.jpg
    27_turbo.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 380

KZ

Aug 20, 2003
Whoa, lots of attention to the details, maybe a bit over the top! It's a show piece, I wouldn't want to ride for fear something may happen to it. I like the rear swing arm and especially the fairing - that's the one I'd put on my ER6, if I had one...

Dec 27, 2007
Heh hey- indeed- who needs a turbo in Thailand? Not me! But still, always cool to see these custom bikes and get some ideas for possible mods. Personally I find that rear swing arm a bit flimsy looking... The stock swing arm looks a lot stronger, and I figure with the turbo this bike will be cranking close to 100Hp. Would hate to have the rear end come apart under heavy acceleration! :shock:
I believe the front is from a Z1000, modified of course, but agree- it looks great!

Sep 19, 2006
www.chiangmai-xcentre.com
Tony, in regard to "Two Brothers Racing" Exhausts i figure that is all they are Made For "Racing" I put one on My KLX and Exactly the Same Incredibly Loud!!! I ended up pulling it apart and making the Baffle smaller by 1/2 an Inch and it was Still To Loud!!! I then Welded a Washer at the Front of the Baffle which helped but still not what i would call a Beautiful Sound? The Guy here who makes the Exhausts said the Problem with Two Brothers is the Pipe is Very Short, if they were made Longer it would be a Lower Throatier Sound? Standard Pipes You would need Ear Plugs for any Long Distance and Also Risk Mister Plod taking an Unwanted Interest in Your Bike and a Fine for the Exhaust??? :roll:

KZ

Aug 20, 2003
You're right, for a deep, mellow sound you need volume, for less noise lots of damping material and a solid body, no flimsy super thin aluminum. That's why I figured a car muffler might be ideal for the job. They're designed for a 2.5L Diesel engine so they work fine for a motorcycle, even if it revvs twice as high. They're also high quality, last a long time and not expensive.

Nov 7, 2007
Loving that LSL version - yeah baby, that's naked. Though I don't think of the instrument panel on the ER-6n as a problem, I think it's totally OK.

Beauty, as they say, is in the eye of the beholder ;)

Nov 7, 2007
BTW thanks for the warning on the two brothers, definitely a no-no for me. I am not 16, and I don't want to sound like it ;)

I like the stock exhaust the best, actually, and being as it is it's also the cheapest and easiest option, I think I'd stick with it.

I haven't made the jump yet but I think I'll show that K-speed picture to the CM Kawa dealer and get a quote. I know he'd be so excited to do that... and they are such nice guys that getting a new bike anywhere else is out of the question.

Nov 7, 2007
I know this is a bit OT, but why on earth can Honda not sell the 600 CB hornet here?

Then there would be an actual choice, and I so love that square muffler.. ;)

bikepics-1471781-800.jpg

Dec 27, 2007
Ian Bungy wrote: Tony, in regard to "Two Brothers Racing" Exhausts i figure that is all they are Made For "Racing" I put one on My KLX and Exactly the Same Incredibly Loud!!! I ended up pulling it apart and making the Baffle smaller by 1/2 an Inch and it was Still To Loud!!! I then Welded a Washer at the Front of the Baffle which helped but still not what i would call a Beautiful Sound? The Guy here who makes the Exhausts said the Problem with Two Brothers is the Pipe is Very Short, if they were made Longer it would be a Lower Throatier Sound? Standard Pipes You would need Ear Plugs for any Long Distance and Also Risk Mister Plod taking an Unwanted Interest in Your Bike and a Fine for the Exhaust??? :roll:
Cheers Ian,

Well, once I'm out of the Moo Baan I love to let her rip and I quite like the sound of the Two Bros can, just wish I could turn down the volume a touch. It is a very short can, but the exhaust note is deep and pleasant, just loud as FOCK!
Riding in BKK there are plenty of other noisy vehicles so I don't feel like I'm really making more racket than anyone else. But where I live is very quiet and my wife says she can hear me coming 2 km out!
I always wear earplugs for rides of any distance, so the volume doesn't bother me personally, but like I said earlier, the neighbors are gonna hate me and I'm sure sooner or later the BiB will flag me down for making too much noise.
Perhaps a narrowing of the baffle might help- think I'll give that a try.
Happy Trails!
Tony

Dec 27, 2007
nikster wrote: BTW thanks for the warning on the two brothers, definitely a no-no for me. I am not 16, and I don't want to sound like it ;)

I like the stock exhaust the best, actually, and being as it is it's also the cheapest and easiest option, I think I'd stick with it.

I haven't made the jump yet but I think I'll show that K-speed picture to the CM Kawa dealer and get a quote. I know he'd be so excited to do that... and they are such nice guys that getting a new bike anywhere else is out of the question.
I didn't mind the sound of the stock exhaust on the ER6n, but what really bothered me was the weight. That huge can weighs nearly 20 pounds! That's rather ridiculous and cutting weight and improving performance are my main reasons for going for an aftermarket pipe.

The K-Speed ER6n is for sale on mocyc.com for 270,000. When you add up all of the bits they've added it seems they're selling it right at cost. What a deal for a very distinctive and upgraded ride! 8)

Dec 27, 2007
Hey ER6 owners!

How do you like the performance of the Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart tires on your bikes?

I was always a bit surprised how easy it was to spin and slide the Dunlops. And I was really surprised at how quickly my rear tire squared out. I've never used Dunlop tires before (was always happy with Bridgestone Battlax's) but I thought Dunlop had a pretty good reputation.

So, with the rear thoroughly squared I recently switched to Pirelli Dragon Supercorsa Pro's and they are awesome! Finally had a chance this past weekend to put them to the test on a ride through the twisties at Khao Yai and I'm loving these new tires!
040709ER6nSm.jpg

040709ER6n2Sm.jpg

BTW, the chicken strips in the pics above are from before the ride :wink: :D 8)
IMHO the Pirellis are WAY better than the Dunlops!
What do the rest of you think? Anyone else switch tires yet? I'm curious to hear your opinions.
Happy Trails!
Tony

Attachments

• 040709ER6n2Sm.jpg
    040709ER6n2Sm.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 237
  • 040709ER6nSm.jpg
    040709ER6nSm.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 235

KZ

Aug 20, 2003
It's always a smart idea to spend money on good tires. I've met riders who fitted their bikes with all kinds of kinky chrome nonsense, spending tons of money, and then going for average tires. My advice is: save money on the gimmicks and go full hog on the tires! Buy Metzeler, Pirelli, Avon and what else there is out there. Get top-of-the-line tires, even if they cost 15 grand! They improve the handling of the bike, adding fun to riding, and they may save your bacon in a tight spot. If you wipe out because of your Cheng Shins and have to fix your bike, it's your own fault. Of course, if you've got the money, go for top tires plus all the bells and whistles you can get, but go for the tires first.

Oct 4, 2006
In the UK the ER6-n is selling for £4,699 and the ER6-f for £5,075.

At current exchange rates the difference is just over 19,000 baht.

Can we expect to see the ER6-f in Thailand for 245,000 baht?

ER6f_n.jpg

Attachments

• ER6f_n.jpg
    ER6f_n.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 180
Dec 27, 2007
^ I notice in the picture above it's an ER6f without ABS.

The ER6f that will be sold in Thailand will be equipped with ABS and Kawasaki stated at the Bangkok Motor Show that the price will be ~280,000.

That's quite a big increase over the ER6n, but IMHO it's still a great deal here in Thailand.

Can't wait!!!

0zz1

May 31, 2008
TonyBKK wrote: Hey ER6 owners!

How do you like the performance of the Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart tires on your bikes?

I was always a bit surprised how easy it was to spin and slide the Dunlops. And I was really surprised at how quickly my rear tire squared out. I've never used Dunlop tires before (was always happy with Bridgestone Battlax's) but I thought Dunlop had a pretty good reputation.

So, with the rear thoroughly squared I recently switched to Pirelli Dragon Supercorsa Pro's and they are awesome! Finally had a chance this past weekend to put them to the test on a ride through the twisties at Khao Yai and I'm loving these new tires!

BTW, the chicken strips in the pics above are from before the ride :wink: :D 8)
IMHO the Pirellis are WAY better than the Dunlops!
What do the rest of you think? Anyone else switch tires yet? I'm curious to hear your opinions.
Happy Trails!
Tony
Hi Tony,

How many km one should expect to do with the orginal tyres before changing them?

Dec 27, 2007
Hiya Ozz,

I got rid of my Dunlops when they had just over 7000 km and I was rather surprised at how quickly the rear squared out while the front still looked quite fresh.

They weren't down to the wear indicators when I got rid of them. Could probably have gotten another ~1000 km out of them but I really didn't like them and was glad to be rid of them.

I've got about 7000 km on the Pirelli Dragon Supercorsa Pros and the rear has also squared out and I figure it'll be toast in another ~1000 km or so.

Great tires though and I think I'll stick to the Pirellis unless I find a good deal on some Bridgestone Battleax...

Happy Trails!

Tony

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
Tony, ever tried Pirelli's Diablo Rosso on the ER6N ? I had them on the FJR (wrong use), they lastet longer than the original Bridgestones by 1000km and their performance was absolutely stunning both in dry and wet conditions. Would be worth a try. Cheers, Franz

Sep 4, 2007
Hi Franz,
I know slightly off topic in a Kawa forum but can you explain why "wrong Use". I ask because I have just put my second set on the FJR and am very happy with them. Again noticed a big improvement in grip and cushioning when new. One does not notice the slow deterioration over 13,000km so much. Just before the change this is the second time I had a puncture in my rear after it lost most of the central tread, and squared off.. Last time was after trip to Khao Yai with Craig and his brother, old tyre in the same condition, so I guess when they are worn to that level they are more prone to punctures. Cheers John