Kawasaki Versys Chain problem

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Changnoi1;286818 wrote: @KZ25 ... yes of course I replaced both sprockets ... although now I am not 100% sure what to do. Front sprocket sure, but rear sprocket with only 9000km?

I thought to sourced a great Protaper chain but it came only with clip-link so I bought an EK 520 SE05 (Gold) for 2600thb (with original EK rivet-link).

Chang Noi

Don't worry about. Just get on & ride your bike! Worry is doing more damage to your life than your chain & sprocket set!

And when they need replacing next time change the whole set for peace of mind.

10,000 kms ago (2 1/2 mths ago) I put on a new chain sprocket set.
The chain was a Thai DID & turned out to be absolute rubbish, however that was all I could get at the time,.
But I did have 6,300 happy kms enjoying ALL my rides before it shit itself between Nan & Phrae.

I stopped in Phrae & sourced a 2,000 baht EK one & got another 4,000 happy enjoyable kms before the new RK turned up.

And now I've put another (better) one (I think) on.

I'm enjoying my rides more than ever.

A breakdown is a tiny little speed bump to get over & a little test of our patience & tolerance of the local system we operate under.

The important thing is to: Enjoy the ride.

When its broke do the same as everyone else - you try to fix it - put another chain on - the best you can get at the time, & continue riding, enjoying life.

You get a bad chain - I've had 2 - you replace them & carry on. It aint the end of the world if you get a raw deal every now & again.

Oct 17, 2006
there are many fake chains in thailand nor just DID i had a fake RK that lasted only 6000kms genuine one lasts about 20,000

Nov 21, 2010
Monsterman, how do you know it was an fake chain? Just because it lasted 6000km?
I assume the OEM chains are not fake.

DirtShop in BKK has Rental, Protaper and some other chains. All good but intentionally for off-road so with clip-link (no rivet-link). Too late I was informed that Red Baron is selling RK X-ring chains (5000thb). So I bought an EK 520SR05 (Gold) chain from AP Shop in BKK (2600thb) with original EK rivet-link. Great service from Pui to send an motorbike-boy to bring the chain to my hotel in BKK.

And yes David I enjoy riding, but that ain't happening as long as OEM chains sold are of bad quality. My complains are not for my own benefit but for that of others also, so we all can ride happy and safe. I know it is not the Thai way to complain, that is not sanuuk but it is the only way something will change. BTW this going to be my 3rd chain & sprocket set.
Chang Noi

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
Davidfl;286828 wrote: When its broke do the same as everyone else - you try to fix it - put another chain on - the best you can get at the time, & continue riding, enjoying life.
This is exactly what Changnoi's post was about - he mentioned his problem and is looking for answers which chain other riders are happy with.

Mar 30, 2010
Changnoi1;286884 wrote: Monsterman, how do you know it was an fake chain? Just because it lasted 6000km?
I assume the OEM chains are not fake.

DirtShop in BKK has Rental, Protaper and some other chains. All good but intentionally for off-road so with clip-link (no rivet-link). Too late I was informed that Red Baron is selling RK X-ring chains (5000thb). So I bought an EK 520SR05 (Gold) chain from AP Shop in BKK (2600thb) with original EK rivet-link. Great service from Pui to send an motorbike-boy to bring the chain to my hotel in BKK.

And yes David I enjoy riding, but that ain't happening as long as OEM chains sold are of bad quality. My complains are not for my own benefit but for that of others also, so we all can ride happy and safe. I know it is not the Thai way to complain, that is not sanuuk but it is the only way something will change. BTW this going to be my 3rd chain & sprocket set.
Chang Noi

Looks like this person has offered a channel that MAY be more effective than posting in to a void or complaining to Kawasaki Thailand which is another void.
As we all ready know.. Approaching the dealers and Rama 9 is not working.. Time to either contact Japan or start with the contacts listed below.. or just accept the complaints will fall on dead ears.

PS. I have 20k on my Versys chain and it is still in good condition. Lucky compared to the rest.. but do look closely after the issues reported

Re: Kawasaki Versys Chain problem

"
Hi! I met these two japanese guys from Kawasaki Thailand at Real MS. Seemed very friendly to me and willingly offered their visiting cards with their contact numbers and email addresses. I am not sure if it is ok to post their names or email addresses, so PM me and I'll email them to you. The first guy (speaks english) is Assistant to Executive Vice Pesident, Senior Manager. Marketing and Sales Manager. And the second guy is Senior Manager, Product Design Department, R&D Division. Hope this helps."

Nov 21, 2010
Well today I had an meeting with the Kawasaki Khon Kaen dealer and it seems shit is hitting the fan at Kawasaki Bangkok/Thailand. Although they pretend it is a new problem that they had never heard from.

So may I invite all people who have chain problems with their DID chains sold by Kawasaki to go to your local Kawasaki dealer and drop your complain (and your old damaged chain).

Chang Noi

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
^ If they pretend they haven't heard of the chain problem how do you know the "shit is hitting the fan" in Bangkok?

Nov 21, 2010
On request of Kawasaki Khon Kaen I have had today replaced my frozen DID chain and OEM sprocket at Kawasaki Khon Khon under so called supervision. As I had it replaced by and EK chain that I bought myself I had sign an waiver of responsibility for the chain and new OEM sprockets. Job was done free of charge, that is free labour and free OEM sprockets. So I still have paid 1800thb for an DID-chain that I could only use for less as 9000km.

I did borrow my original DID chain and my second DID chain (both with frozen links) to Kawasaki so they can inspect the chains and as promised by letter I will have them returned and I will be informed of the results of the test.

In the meanwhile I know that also another customers with an Versys and DID-chain problems will make his complains at Kawasaki Khon Kaen.

Chang Noi

Mar 4, 2011
Very good you got an out come well done.
We all know these chains and sprockets are well below par and just because it is a cheap bike does not mean we constantly have to put up with these sub standard parts.
At least you have brought this problem to the attention of many and we hope they will lift there standards and start building these products to a worthwhile standard.

Oct 17, 2006
Chang noi....the chain was a fake as the Thai supplier later told me it was a locally made copy he has DID , RK and EK fakes in stock all at around 2-3k baht a real chain from UK is about 4=5k , I now bring chains for my Ducati from UK with Renthal sprockets , the Ducati is notoriously heavy on chains due to its V twin power pulses and suspension set up but i usually get 20k from a decent chain

Mar 4, 2011
I was in Kawasaki Chiangmai today and noticed they had 6 or 8 - RK Chains O ring chains for Versys or Ninja and yes they where made in Japan and priced at 2800 Baht.
That is a real plus for chains as these are a good brand and they have a good quantity.
Now all we need to find is some decent sprockets and our problems with chains and sprockets at least for Kawasaki will be over.
As I have mentioned in a previous post this chain and sprocket business is not just a Thai problem those Thai chains and sprockets are shipped all over the world on the Ninja 650 and Versys and the whole world should complain.
At the end of the day these are budget bikes so the quality of these bikes in many areas is very low so you must replace the budget parts with quality and you will have a fairly decent bike.

Nov 7, 2007
Davidfl;286756 wrote: I've expressed my disappointment in a lighthearted way, not confrontational, to Kawasaki Chiang Mai as well; but am not optimistic.
They have to admit they are wrong, selling that absolute crap Thai-made DID chain; & then act.
Well ... Kawasaki CM are the nicest people, they have great service, and I really like the owners. But they do not know very much about big bikes. They're not bikers. If you complain about the chain they'll smile and say yes but they're not going to call up Kawasaki Thailand and raise a fuss.

I imagine one would have to get a hold of somebody at Kawa Thailand... Kawasaki Japan is probably the best way to do that actually.

Nov 7, 2007
Davidfl;286828 wrote: Don't worry about. Just get on & ride your bike! Worry is doing more damage to your life than your chain & sprocket set!

And when they need replacing next time change the whole set for peace of mind.

10,000 kms ago (2 1/2 mths ago) I put on a new chain sprocket set.
The chain was a Thai DID & turned out to be absolute rubbish, however that was all I could get at the time,.
But I did have 6,300 happy kms enjoying ALL my rides before it shit itself between Nan & Phrae.

I stopped in Phrae & sourced a 2,000 baht EK one & got another 4,000 happy enjoyable kms before the new RK turned up.

And now I've put another (better) one (I think) on.

I'm enjoying my rides more than ever.

A breakdown is a tiny little speed bump to get over & a little test of our patience & tolerance of the local system we operate under.

The important thing is to: Enjoy the ride.

When its broke do the same as everyone else - you try to fix it - put another chain on - the best you can get at the time, & continue riding, enjoying life.

You get a bad chain - I've had 2 - you replace them & carry on. It aint the end of the world if you get a raw deal every now & again.
+1

Could not agree more.

Jul 18, 2009
With regards to the fake chains being sold in Thailand , they are also copying the packaging . Just because the box may say "made in Japan" doesnt mean it is. What to do if buying locally ? I gues try and buy from someone reputable rather than from some little unknown shop and then hope for the best.

Mar 30, 2010
Getting some new tyres for the klx today at Rama 9

Chatted about the chain issue.

Not only people here complaining. Two big dealers in bkk also complaining.

Kwaka have complained to the factory in Rayong and to Kwaka japan as they do the sourcing.

Dec 27, 2007
KZ25;287675 wrote: So it's actually a DID problem, not a Kawasaki problem?
What an odd question... :problem:

I've been grumbling to them for years about the shite quality of the Thai-made DID chains that they use on the 650cc bikes, but seems in the last year or so that the quality has gotten even worse, to the point where more and more people are complaining.

Hopefully they'll finally do something about it!

I always recommend people to change to a quality Japanese chain after they've worn out their original.

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
TonyBKK;287677 wrote: What an odd question... :problem:
What's odd about it? The title of the thread is "Kawasaki Versys chain problem" but the problem is the low quality of the DID chain.

Like you said, buy a decent set and you won't have any problem with your Kawasaki Versys.

Does Honda put a better chain on their 500s?

Dec 27, 2007
KZ25;287683 wrote: What's odd about it? The title of the thread is "Kawasaki Versys chain problem" but the problem is the low quality of the DID chain.

Like you said, buy a decent set and you won't have any problem with your Kawasaki Versys.

Does Honda put a better chain on their 500s?
I found your question odd because it doesn't matter where the components come from; it's the responsibility of the manufacturer to source quality parts.

If there's an inferior part in your vehicle you're not going to go make a warranty claim against Bridgestone, Tokiko, Denso, DID, NGK, etc, you're going to take your complaints to the manufacturer.

Kawasaki is responsible for choosing to use poor quality chains on these bikes. Hopefully enough complaints have come in that they'll fix the problem.

Nov 6, 2011
2011 Ninja 650 here.

Rather disappointed that with only 15,000km on the clock I've had to buy a new chain and sprockets. :thumbdown:

Chain was absolutely f***ked despite frequent care (cleaning and lubing). My UK based R6 gets almost twice the life despite receiving more abuse and much less love.

I tried to mention I would usually expect more life out of a chain to the English speaking male owner(?) at Kawasaki Chiang Mai who shrugged it off. Also they no longer seem to stock higher quality chains so it was an identical replacement for 1,800b. At least it's cheap enough... but looks like I'll be bringing a chain from the UK next time I return.

Nov 6, 2011
2011 Ninja 650 owner here.

I am disappointed to announce that today I had to replace the chain and sprockets after just 15,000km despite regular cleaning and lubing. The chain was absolutely f***ked and looked like it had done at least twice the mileage.

My UK based R6 gets almost twice the life despite more abuse and much less love. I mentioned that I considered it very poor to the English speaking owner(?) at Kawasaki CM who shrugged the shoulders.

Unfortunately Kawa CM did not have any more high end chains so it was a like for like DID replacement at 1800b (total 3,700b inc sprockets + labour). I will be bringing a good quality chain from the UK next time I return but it really does seem the quality of these local chains is suspect?

Mar 4, 2011
I got only 5000ks out of my last DID Thai made chain I was stuck at Udon and had to buy this rubbish chain to get me home to Chaingmai.
Yes this is a great problem with these Thai made DID chains and Kawasaki will tell you that but they cannot do any thing about it as they DID Thailand have the contract on these chains to supply Kawasaki and it seems Kawa can do nothing about this.
You must have been unlucky as I purchased 2 weeks ago an EK chain from Kawasaki Chiangmai and they also had heaps of RK chains there and there where heaps there last week when I went in so they must have sold a lot of RK chains in a week for there to be none there.
You could have tried the piston shop as Nat there usually has EK chains on the shelf for Kawasaki.
All I can say on this matter is never buy a Thai DID if possible and get an EK or Rk BACK UP AS SOON AS POSSIBLE as its better not to give any money to DID Thailand and if they sell no chains perhaps they may wake up they have been producing rubbish that nobody wants to buy and may be you should also bring a chain and sprockets back from the UK next time your there.

Nov 21, 2010
I have just been informed by Kawasaki Thailand that on 20 March 2013 they will inform me of the results of their investigation of my 2 frozen DID 520 VP2 chains.

Chang Noi

Dec 27, 2007
Helped a mate replace his shagged Thai-DID chain on his Ninja 650 yesterday.

The chain has stretched unevenly so had a tight spot and was already starting to kink even though it had low mileage and had been well looked after.

The oem sunstar sprockets on the other hand looked "as new" but were replaced anyway.

Red Baron and Dirtshop both carry quality Japanese RK and EK 520 O-ring chains that sell for less than 3000 baht. I don't know why anyone would waste money on a crap quality Thai-DID when you can buy top quality Japanese chains for about the same price.

:happy1: