Kawasaki Versys Coming

Linds

Oct 31, 2009
I forgot , the maroon option also includes Givi Box`s, and the Bike is also fitted with Engine Guards.
Alas cannot open the Link again because the server in this hypocritical country ( read `nok song heuwar`) says that its content is not appropriate for viewing.

Wont mention all the House Maids :shh: here then will we eh ! :take-that: :take-that: :take-that: :evil:

Regards to All
Linds

Auke

Nov 10, 2003
No problem here opening the site so it could be something at your internet provider side. Try this which is the direct link to the Versys 2011: http://www.mityonbigbike.com/main/modul ... storyid=33

Linds

Oct 31, 2009
Yep its the provider here for sure .Can enter the page 1 time before up pops the mssg.

Nov 7, 2007
2wheels wrote: After reading Tony's posting here re Versys in Bgk I went to the Chiang Mai dealer today and was told by the senior there
that the Versys wont be available in CM 'for one or two months'! This is because CM 'is a secondary dealership'.
At least I wasn't told 'it wont be coming'!
Maybe they ran out of the first batch already, and don't know when the second batch will arrive. They were going to have some by Nov. 5th.

Linds

Oct 31, 2009
The Google Translation from the Mityon site ;
Get ready for Kawasaki friendly vehicles that VERSYS 2011 Kawasaki Bike Big C Pattaya to the exact date is November 3, 2010.
So Now they have an excuse that the Translation is wrong :lol:
Perhaps somebody can confirm in Pattaya , that maybe this only means that the Versys is on show at Big C on Nov 3 :idea:

Dec 27, 2007
Somebody asked me why get a Versys as I already have a Ninja 650R.

My main reason for wanting the Versys is the higher spec suspension.

The seat seems a lot more comfortable and the larger range thanks to the bigger tank are also nice.

The power difference between the Ninja 650R and Versys is minimal and can be easily rectified with a powercommander and re-gearing.

If one wanted to I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to open up the engine and replace the Versys cams with Ninja 650R cams.

Actually for riding on public roads I'd be happy to sacrifice the Ninja 650R's top end advantage in exchange for more low and mid range torque of the Versys.

I ordered the Versys BEFORE reading any reviews but I've found it quite interesting after reading some reviews that some reviewers are calling the Versys a sport bike.

Check out this vid and let me know if you agree? :mrgreen:
[youtube:3foarsjq] /youtube:3foarsjq]

Good stuff! :happy5:

Tony

Linds

Oct 31, 2009
Tony ,
judging by the scraping noise on some corners in the vid and the following pictures :
[youtube:2q2x68vc] /youtube:2q2x68vc] ,

You might need to order some replacement footrests for your soon to be . :happy5:
All this on Stock Tyres / Stock Bike :clap:

Dec 27, 2007
Linds wrote: Tony ,
judging by the scraping noise on some corners in the vid and the following pictures :
[youtube:2ktjotoe] /youtube:2ktjotoe] ,

You might need to order some replacement footrests for your soon to be . :happy5:
All this on Stock Tyres / Stock Bike :clap:
Yeah, pretty awesome huh? But please note that he was NOT on the crappy stock tires! He was on Bridgestone Battlax BT090's :happy5:

To grind the footpegs down the way he did on a bike that tall he must have some mad skills and huge cojones! :clap:

Ride On!

Tony

Nov 7, 2007
This video is amazing. That's the old Versys too. Getting more and more exciting, and feeling better about trading in my ER-6n.

CM Kawa says November 5-6 they're getting about 8 bikes, some of which are already spoken for. Then they'll get new ones every month. So I think won't be a problem getting them up here, CM is a rather small town. They also claim they'll carry all the official accessories.

May 6, 2009
The lap record for Cadwell on a liter bike is 1.26 .098. For a 600cc bike it is held by a Triumph Daytona at 1.33.67.
The guy on the Vesrys best lap is about a 1.55 so he is still about 21 seconds of the pace.
I would say calling a Versy a sports bike may be optimistic but I am sure it could hold its own in the same class.

Nov 7, 2007
brian66 wrote: The lap record for Cadwell on a liter bike is 1.26 .098. For a 600cc bike it is held by a Triumph Daytona at 1.33.67.
The guy on the Vesrys best lap is about a 1.55 so he is still about 21 seconds of the pace.
I would say calling a Versy a sports bike may be optimistic but I am sure it could hold its own in the same class.
You're comparing apples and oranges again. I've found a few places with Cadwell track times, and they all say different things. Example here:
http://www.ngroadracing.org/circuits/cadwell_park.htm
Your numbers seem to be from Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadwell_Park

In any case, these are most likely due to differences between a pro racers and amateurs, rather than the bikes. Suzuki SV650 clocked at 1.42 for example. And a Yamaha R1 at 1.37.9. Aprillia 125 (!) at 1.38...

I agree with one thing though: A Triumph Daytona - a 675cc race bike - will definitely outperform a Versys on a race track. Different bikes, different uses. Comparisons relatively pointless.

May 6, 2009
I got the liter bikes times from this year’s BSB race in August.
Hill won one race and Brookes the second. Hill’s fastest lap was around 1.26 and both riders race laps were averaging around 1.27 flat.
I couldn’t find the 600 class lap times so I used the lap record chart for Cadwell. That could be out of date now an I expect a little faster time than 1.33 for a 600 bike as the track is tight.
600 bikes are usually around 5 to 6 seconds slower at open circuits like Sepang and Phillip island and much closer at a tight track like Cadwell where the liter bikes can't use full power.
Unfortunately, bikes are apples and oranges as it is very rare to see only the one make or capacity racing other than in MotoGP and Moto2. Also on the road for that matter, as there is always different bikes in group rides.
The guy in the video passed a lot of bikes that were obviously 600cc or liter bikes so how to gauge the performance of that ride and of the bike? 20 plus seconds a lap is a lot slower if he were racing 600 cc sports bikes but racing against other Versy’s it may be a great lap time.
It certainly looked to handle very well in that video but it would have been nice to see a video from behind him so to be better able judge the bikes handling and brakes.
Was he fast or they slow and would the Versy perform well as a sports bike against other sports bikes?
How to define a sports bike? What is the definition these magazine guys apply to define a sports bike?
The Versy looks to me like it is made to do a bit of everything but I wonder which bit, will it do the best?
I personnaly wouldnt use it seriously on a track but it looks to me like the ideal bike for long comfortable rides and the occasional rough roads

Dec 27, 2007
brian66 wrote: The lap record for Cadwell on a liter bike is 1.26 .098. For a 600cc bike it is held by a Triumph Daytona at 1.33.67.
Dear Brian,

Where did you get the Versys' lap time? Did he ever enter it into a race? The vids he posted appear to be from regular track day sessions but I haven't seen any of him in an actual race...

I hope we can agree that calling a Versys a "sport bike" does not put it in the same category as "Supersport"? Comparing sport bikes to supersports really is an apples and oranges comparison IMO.

Against similar sport bikes the Versys seems to be quite capable IMO. Certainly capable enough for your average Thai road :mrgreen:

Happy Trails!

Tony

ps. I think I figured out the problem with the Gixxer - didn't realize that when upgrading to tapered bearings you have to ride a while then re-torque the steering head- discovered I had some play in the front end which I think explains the handling problems I experienced at BIRA;
Have now re-torqued the steering stem and am looking forward to taking her to the track again soon! :happy5:

T

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
I heard that there is HUGE que for Versys now,, abt 5mth,,,
but Dougal can give more light on this when he read this....

May 6, 2009
When I saw the video of Tony chasing the liter bikes at Bira on the ER6n and then this latest video of the guy on the Versy I was impressed as both looked relativerly quick and i got to thinking about maybe building a smaller capacity track bike. I am currently building a 1000cc track bike and I am focused on making it light. So could I do the same thing with a Versy, ER6n or Ninja?
The few tracks there are in Thailand are suitable for lighter and less powerful bikes so I thought about the Kwaka’s and if they would be worth the effort to turn into a good track bike.
I had strong doubts the Versy would be capable as a track bike because of its weight and brakes.
I watched a replay of the BSB race at Cadwell this year, which was the first time I had seen the track ridden.
After watching the video of the Versy at Cadwell, I decided to check the lap times of the guy on the Versy’s against the BSB class lap times.
The Versy guys three flying laps were approximately: 1.55, 1.56 and 1.55.
I would not imply that anyone would be seriously racing a Versy or similar bike in a 600cc super sports class. My comments are solely focused on track day riding, which I am sure is the place these bikes would get used most for sports riding.
I am sure that anyone who has done track days will agree that they want to go as fast as they can and beat every one that they can catch, regardless of the bike they are riding or riding against.
It gives a great feeling to stick it up bikes that are three times more powerful.

pee

Mar 10, 2006
Mixing bikes and music sound good...
However comparing with these guys version of "Love the one you with"
frzc8.jpg

These guys
Stephen_Stills_-_Love_The_One.jpg

sound a bit like this
LetMeTouchHim.jpg

Anyway just a tease to say I join the bandwagon: Versys would never have been on my radar but considering the choice we currently have in LOS...
My current DRZ finds its limit when it comes to several weeks trips -especially 2 up. That's where Versys would come handy for me. Seeing pics above with Pirelli MT 60 got me thinking...
Looking forward to a first account when one of you will finally get one!

Pace & Salute

Dec 27, 2007
Yep, the KLR650 would be a great bike in Thailand. A bit slow for my taste, but undeniably capable and reliable. Unfortunately until Kawasaki adds FI it will never pass Thai emissions, so don't blame Kawasaki Thailand. It's not their fault Kawasaki has chosen to keep the bike old school with a carb. :happy5:

Nov 7, 2007
Lucky me, I have no interest whatsoever in the KLR.

For those that want it though the good news is that all bikes will be fuel injected eventually. Just give it a few years. The good news for thailand is that the availability of new kawa big bikes has made second hand bikes a lot cheaper.

And of course Tony is right there is no use whining about the KLR. There is no way it will pass emissions carburated and the decision to make it FI is not for kawa thailand to make

Nov 7, 2007
2wheels - I humbly disagree. The Versys is not a "compromise" offer because they can't do the KLR. The Versys is selling very well all on its own in those places where the KLR is available. It's just a different bike. From what I understand - admittedly I am a relative newbie when it comes to bikes - is that the Versys is _much_ better for on-road use, whereas the KLR is better for off road and / or dirt roads.

With the Versys you get a civilized little sports tourer - a sports bike modified to be a touring machine if you will. With the KLR it's more like a dirt bike that's also suited for touring. It's basically coming from the other side. In various forums I've found online, Versys and KLR have been compared and that was the consensus. On road, it's the Versys. Off road, KLR.

pee

Mar 10, 2006
KLR appears to be way too heavy for serious off-roading (420 lbs)... Although it probably does double tracks well... My hope is that Versys would also be able to do these double tracks when fitted with proper tires -while being far better for long distance riding on tarmac...
That's a lot of guessing about Versys abilities on the dirt... This is why I wait for trusty GT-Riders first hand experience -not giving much credit to magazines reviews.
Cheers

Nov 7, 2007
pee wrote:
That's a lot of guessing about Versys abilities on the dirt... This is why I wait for trusty GT-Riders first hand experience -not giving much credit to magazines reviews.
Cheers
Well from what I read online in the various forums the Versys pretty much sucks in the dirt. Main factors are tires and a small front wheel. Tires can be remedied, wheel size probably not that easily?!

pee

Mar 10, 2006
Thanks Nickster. You 've got a point.
Although I am used to off road with a DRZ SuperMoto, small front wheel... That's manageable. When it comes to Versys, combination of heavy weight + small front wheel might be a different story...

Dec 27, 2007
2wheels wrote: Tony and Nikster.
I like the look of the Versys and think it should perform well here.
I am not at all interested in how quickly or slowly it goes around a racing circuit.
I am interested in how it will perform over a range of touring environments.

IMHO the KLR would have been the better offering from Kawa.
I understand it's 'dirtiness' issue, and I also know that Kawa Thailand know that the KLR is wanted here.
I see the Versys as Kawa's compromise offer. Fair enough.

Knowing that Kawa Thailand know that the KLR was wanted here, I would have thought that they could have exerted
considerable influence on Japan to allow them to produce a 'clean' EFI edition for Thailand.
That's why I'm disappointed with Kawa Thailand.

I'm certainly not whining over the absence of the KLR here; I have an Africa Twin!
But I do know others who would have bought the KLR and who wont be buying the Versys.
I'm merely questioning Kawa Thailand's logic.

Anyway, I've made my point and no need to continue.

When are expecting the baby to be delivered Tony?
Cheers 2wheels,

I was told by Kwackerzaki Bangkok that my Versys would be available "not before November 15th", whatever that means :lol-sign:

FWIW I think you overestimate the demand for the KLR in Thailand and the "influence" (if any) that Kawasaki Thailand has on the home office in Japan.
In Kawasaki's global business Thailand represents a TINY market and I can't imagine Kawasaki modifying the KLR with FI just to suit the demand in one small country. How many KLR's could they realistically expect to sell in Thailand annually? A few hundred perhaps?
The primary market in Thailand of course is Thais, and so far here in Thailand the Thais have been buying sport bikes more than dirt bikes. Look at the bikes that Yamaha and Kawasaki offer- while I've heard rumors Yamaha would offer some sort of dirt bike or dual sport in Thailand I don't believe anything is available yet.
Kawasaki sells the KLX250 dirtbike and the D-Tracker which is just a KLX with shorter suspension and smaller wheels, and while those bikes sell well, I saw a pie chart at a Kawasaki event that showed the Ninja 250R as the best selling Kawasaki bike in Thailand by a large margin.
Some day Kawasaki will have to clean up the KLR to make it comply with ever more strict emissions rules around the world, but until that happens I don't think we can expect to see it.
Happy Trails!
Tony