Kawasaki Versys Coming

Nov 21, 2010
Today I was at the Kawa-dealer Pattaya to make a second test-drive on the ER6N (just for fun). Still would like to be able to test-drive a lowerd Versys.

Well next week I will have the WR-lowering kit for the Versys, so I will have to convice the Kawa-dealer to test it on their test-Versys (it only takes 15min to install it).

If there are more people who would like to test-drive a lowerd-Versys please PM me so I can inform the Kawa-dealer that there might be more people wanting to test-drive a lowerd-Versys.

Chang Noi

KZ

Aug 20, 2003
Interesting that the designation is "KLE650 Versys" - reminds me of the old and proven KLE500...

Kawasaki20KLE500.jpg

A couple of years ago I wanted to get a 250 and had it narrowed down to two bikes: the VTR250 and the KLE250. I really wanted an enduro-type bike with good suspension which I could also take onto a highway and do some traveling with. The KLE250 came quite close with its Ninja engine but then I decided to order a VTR even though it's a street bike; reason was the 90 degree V-Twin and the fact that it's a Honda, better resale value.

But looking at this photo I can't help wondering why Kawasaki doesn't build a "KLE250 Versys"...

KLe250.jpg

Dec 27, 2007
KZ wrote:
A couple of years ago I wanted to get a 250 and had it narrowed down to two bikes: the VTR250 and the KLE250. I really wanted an enduro-type bike with good suspension which I could also take onto a highway and do some traveling with. The KLE250 came quite close with its Ninja engine but then I decided to order a VTR even though it's a street bike; reason was the 90 degree V-Twin and the fact that it's a Honda, better resale value.

But looking at this photo I can't help wondering why Kawasaki doesn't build a "KLE250 Versys"...

KLe250.jpg
KLE250... Never heard of it. Is it a single or a twin? You say it shares the Ninja 250R engine so I guess it's a parallel twin? Interesting. Is it still being manufactured? If it's the same engine as the Ninja 250R then it would make sense to produce the bike at the Pluak Daeng factory in Rayong where the Ninjette is manufactured.
How would a KLE250 Versys differ from the KLE250?
Ride On!
Tony

daewoo

Dec 6, 2005
Not sure I have heard of a KLE250..

The KLE500 is on sale in Australia, alongside the KLR650, ER6N/Nl, Ninja 650R/Rl and the Versys...

I would say that the KLR is sort of 35%Dirt/65%Road oriented, anf the KLE 10%Dirt/90%road...

Looking on the Kawasaki Aus Website, I just realised that the Versys is 'Learner Legal' in most states of Australia... crazy...

Cheers,
Daewoo

KZ

Aug 20, 2003
KLE250 - they do exist, even though there's not much info on the net. First time I saw one in Germany I thought: What the heck went wrong here? A small dirt bike with a twin cylinder engine and a fairing? Looked like the bike had an identity issue.
But much later in Thailand I talked to a thai guy in a repair shop who said he could "order" any bike I wanted. So I started thinking: a 250 is big enough for around here, but a single doesn't cut it. I want an enduro type bike for the local road conditions but also be able to do trips, so it needs to be able to go 130 km/h and have a small fairing. And suddenly it clicked and I remembered that weird bike I saw years ago - it would fit the bill quite well. Upright seating position, long-travel suspension, a Ninja engine with 35 horses at 10,000 rpm and a small fairing for touring. It even had a 19" front wheel (like the 650 V-Strom).
But then I decided on the VTR with the sexy trellis frame and a real neat V-Twin.
In a way those KLE types were the first "Versys". These bikes have been built since the early 90s, at least the KLE500. When it was time to update the engine, Kawasaki built the 650 twin and came out with the "Ninja". The Versys would be the KLE version, but a bit more street oriented, which makes more sense.
The difference between the KLE250 and a "Versys 250" would be an updated and slightly detuned Ninja engine, less revvs, more torque, with FI; stiffer suspension, better brakes, 17" front wheel, street rubber; smaller fairing, less weight, bigger tank.
Daewoo, I'm surprised both bikes are for sale in Australia. I've read some reviews and most are positive; the KLE500 is reliable, fun, lots of value for money. Not great looking and limited power, though. So the new Versys is a successful improvement, and the ground-up new design with the bigger engine makes it look like this type of bike was just invented. But it still carries the KLE designation.
Could you post the prices of the old KLE500 and the Versys? I wonder how much cheaper the old KLE500 is.

daewoo

Dec 6, 2005
KZ wrote: Daewoo, I'm surprised both bikes are for sale in Australia. I've read some reviews and most are positive; the KLE500 is reliable, fun, lots of value for money. Not great looking and limited power, though. So the new Versys is a successful improvement, and the ground-up new design with the bigger engine makes it look like this type of bike was just invented. But it still carries the KLE designation.
Could you post the prices of the old KLE500 and the Versys? I wonder how much cheaper the old KLE500 is.
Well, I have to bite my tongue now... It seems they DON'T sell the KLE500 here anymore (or at least I can't find it on the Kwaka Aus website anymore)... in 08 when I was looking at buying a KLR650 new, they were the same recomended price $7,990 including $1000 worth of rego and stamp duty... but you could negotiate a better deal on the KLE, because they weren't as popular... The Versys was also on sale at the same time, but it seems they have dropped the KLE now...

The KLR650 is still $7,990 Drive Away... The Versys ABS is $11,990.. The ER6N is $10,499 RRP...

Cheers,
Daewoo

Jul 6, 2004
Hi all.
I just checked the statistics on bike sales in Australia up to the 3rd Quarter of 2010.
Interesting facts, as I suspected and we all know, we have to take what bikes are available in Thailand.
As Australia has no such taxes on imported motorcycles it give a truer perspective on what the buying motorcycle public are prepared to spend their hard earned money on.
Looking at Kawasaki, the manufacturer has 3 bikes in the top 10 of their category, that are available in Thailand.
Trail bikes: KLR650
: KLX250
: Sherpa trials bike
Road : Ninja 250
: Ninja 650
No mention of the Versys, it hasn't been popular with Aussie riders and is facing buyers resistance, it has been on sale there for a couple of years, and reports of heavy discounted prices as low as $10,500A ride away has been reported. Maybe too much competition in its category.
Amazing Thailand!

Tom