Laos - Cnx and Nong Khai

Discussion in 'General Discussion / News / Information' started by Champasak, Feb 1, 2003.

1. Champasak

Champasak Ol'Timer

Laos - Cnx and Nong Khai
    « on: Dec 13th, 2002, 3:27am » Quote Modify Remove

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi David and all

The TDM 850 and I are going to be making the much promised trip next week. The smog of BKK will be behind me and I plan to head up to Loei, then into Laos and explore for about 20 days. I plan to get to Cnx at some stage of the trip and it would be great to go for a burn if you are free one day David.

If anyone as any recommedations for the Laos part, please let me know. I have printed the trip reports and will pore through them this weekend.

I have done the Loei - Nong Khai bit before and love the ride through the hills and along the Mekhong. I may even go to the Laos/Vietnam border and leave the bike there before going in for a while.

I am assuming the details of getting an unregsitered bike in remain the same and Nong Khai is the best place.

Kind regards from Bangkok

Simon

2. Loading...

3. Champasak

Champasak Ol'Timer

Re: Laos - Cnx and Nong Khai
    « Reply #1 on: Dec 13th, 2002, 11:36am » Quote Modify Remove

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Yay Simon, great to hear from you mate.
    Yeah Nong Khai is probably the best place to try & get an unregistered bike in.
    BUT without a plate, two things:
    1. To get out on the Thai side you must have your "invoice import" papers, otherwise I don’t think you've got much chance. The officials on the Thai side are getting more serious about it each time I cross over.
    2. On the Lao side I don’t think it will work unless you have an agent do it for you. I failed once, & thought I knew what I was doing; even after I got an agent (my regular agent) it was NO! I had to leave my bike at the bridge car park for 5 days & hire a Honda Dream in Vte. Next time I just used the agent straight up & it was no problem, they even remembered me from the previous failed attempt.
    So, pls let me / us know how you go.

I plan to be in North Lao for a couple of weeks right at the end of the year / 1st week of Jan, so if you are still around we might see each other on the road somewhere maybe?
    Keep in touch & keep the power on & lets keep the message board rolling to see how many hits we can get.

« Last Edit: Dec 13th, 2002, 1:07pm by Davidfl » 208.147.1.2

Davidfl