Laos Friendship Bridge No Entry

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Just spoke to the boss of the bridge on the Laos side & the news is bad = the Ministry of Transport in Vte has struck yet again & NO bikes, no matter what country of registration are allowed in cross the bridge. Supposedly this applies to all border crossings, but the boss thinks that it wont be happening in practice.
Bill & Cysiong well done if you get in elsewhere.
Robert H & I will still be trying early next week, so will keep you all informed.
I should have a copy of the MoT letter then & will post a translation.
The only way around this at the moment is to get prior approval from the Lao authorities.

Dec 3, 2005
Today we crossed boarder at Chong Mek (Thailand) to Pakxe (Laos) it was fixed in 90 minutes. We got permition to stay for 14 days, at first we got 7 days but with a litle bit of discussion with the guys they gave us 14 days.
We had to pay 820 Bath for paperwork and insurance and 100 Bath for two passports at immigration.
It is nice to be in Laos again.
Filip-gsa

Jun 24, 2005
Hi Davidfl,

Still unable to cross Lao, we try a local cross border Near Nan, 'Huay Kon Border', the official don't let us cross for a short period, event can't cross thai border to take photo.

Will try Huay Xai Border if time permit.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
quote:

Originally posted by cysiong

Hi Davidfl,

Still unable to cross Lao, we try a local cross border Near Nan, 'Huay Kon Border', the official don't let us cross for a short period, event can't cross thai border to take photo.

Will try Huay Xai Border if time permit.

No chance at Huay Kon as the Laos side is not legal.
You guys should be ok at Chiang Khong / Huay Sai, but to be honest you should have headed downstream from Nong Kai & tried anyone of the other other
4 other legal international Thai / Lao border crossings
If you haven't already looked, take a peak at
https://www.gt-rider.com/crossingborders.html
and
https://www.gt-rider.com/borders.html

I hope you're enjoying the Thai ride & got a nice road & trip report coming after.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
News in again today is from an agent in Vientiane who had requested a temporary import for me next week as a one man motorbike tour with their company.
The request was refused as the new policy (at least in Vientiane) is only "motorcycle carvans" of 5 bikes & up are allowed in across the Friendship Bridge. NO individual bikes / groups less than 5 are permitted.
So anyone who gets in elsewhere - well done.

bill

Mar 29, 2004
David
6 of us with Cambodian plated bikes passed thru Nakom Phanom-Thaket border crossing . I was the last to go thru on Dec 05.
No problems whatsoever. All up it cost me Bt 480 for 7 day bike permit, and 21 days insurance .
I extended the permit for another 2 weeks at the customs headquarters in Vientiene. Took about 5 minutes and cost nothing.

Jun 24, 2005
Hi

I had request for a export/import paper from Huay Xia Border at thai side, but due to week end, I decided to stay at Mae Sai till Mon.

FYI, the custom official at Chiang Khong border, the thai side allow us to cross the border, is a good news for us. Will try to cross the border tomor.

Hi Davidfl, I had read about the border crossing of what you mention, due to time permit, and we want to enjoy the ride around Nan, MHS area. so we decided to go Huay Xia border.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Merry Christmas to you all.
Yesterday 25 December 2006 I crossed the border from Bun Kan Thailand into Laos at Pakxan with my bike & did not encounter any problems.
So Lao is still open at other ports, except at the Friendship bridge (where you need prior approval & a minimum of 5 bikes, to qualify as a motor caravan.)
The only "hassle" is having to wait for the car ferry to take you across the Mekong.

bill

Mar 29, 2004
David
Good to hear you got through ok

Just a couple of quick questions for future reference.

Did they issue you with all the correct paperwork, Laos motor vehicle insurance, bike permit etc.

Are visas issued on arrival at Pakxan?

Thanks

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
Bill-

I came across later in the afternoon and met david at the Pakxan customs. All seems in order with paperwork. They do not VOA. I found this out late so I spent the night in Khon Kaen and had a visa issued at the Lao consulate there. Took only a few minutes, then I rushed to Pakxan and just caught the last ferry. No insurance so I got it at the bridge the following day.

harald

Dec 4, 2006
Hallo, Im little bit confused, everybody tell me it´s not possible to cross the border from Thailand to Laos with the bike, ok now I´m read here there is a way, do any body know it`s also possible with a rent bike???, my first plan was, rent a bike in Chiang Mai....make tours in GoldenTriangle...later cross the border to Laos, make some trips there, come back to Chiang mai, is there any chance to do like that ???, will be happy if somebody can answer this question

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
quote:

Hallo, Im little bit confused, everybody tell me it´s not possible to cross the border from Thailand to Laos with the bike, ok now I´m read here there is a way, do any body know it`s also possible with a rent bike???, my first plan was, rent a bike in Chiang Mai....make tours in GoldenTriangle...later cross the border to Laos, make some trips there, come back to Chiang mai, is there any chance to do like that ???, will be happy if somebody can answer this question

Currently you have to take your chances. Crossing at Vientiane is definately out. Read my report on New Year's 2007 and you will see my experience at Pakxan. DavidCK in Chiang Khong says they are letting "Licensed" rental bikes in there with proper paperwork.

According to the Transport Office in Vte the "official word" is no Thai motorcycles. So far it is not being enforced at all crossings......but tomorrow is another day!

You are probably better off renting a bike in Thailand and then later renting a bike in Vientiane. That is the only sure way.

harald

Dec 4, 2006
Thanks Silverhawk,think that`s what I´m doing, make some trips in North-Thailand and later fly to Laos and rent a bike again, before my dream was make a round trip from Chiang mai including Laos....but I hate to much stress it`s holiday

Nov 1, 2004
According to the Bangkok Post, the new bridge at Mukdahan to Savanaket is now open to traffic, does anybody know if you can ride your bike across?

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
quote:

According to the Bangkok Post, the new bridge at Mukdahan to Savanaket is now open to traffic, does anybody know if you can ride your bike across?

quote:

Bangkok Post 10 Jan o7

Buses using new bridge to Laos

The Transport Co has begun operating regular bus services over the new Mekong river bridge linking Mukdahan and Savannakhet province in Laos. The second Thai-Lao Friendship bridge was officially opened on Dec 20, but opened for regular traffic yesterday.

The article is a little vague. At first read I thought they only opened for the buses, but it does say "regular traffic" (what ever that is).

I just came back from Laos and originally had hoped to try and cross the bridge. But, as usual, they did not say anything about WHEN it would be open to "regular traffic". Missed it by a few days. Answer: No idea!

jerome

Feb 1, 2006
long time reader on this forum,it s time to participate and shares informations.I m in savannakhet,went to check news this morning about friendship bidge#2 mukdahan/savannakhet.I asked at the custom about bikes crossing,and they told me if I have "all the papers,no problem"!
but no time to check their words,I m heading south back to cambodia at Veun Kham crossing,but will be back soon in savannakhet!
jerome ttr

Jan 15, 2006
hi David,

any riders coming to Hongsa for having fun.????

we will be at least 10 bikes riding on 16th from luang prabang to Hongsa ................. by the hills !!!!!

keep in touch.

jean louis

quote:

Originally posted by Davidfl

Yesterday 25 December 2006 I crossed the border from Bun Kan Thailand into Laos at Pakxan with my bike & did not encounter any problems.
So Lao is still open at other ports, except at the Friendship bridge (where you need prior approval & a minimum of 5 bikes, to qualify as a motor caravan.)
The only "hassle" is having to wait for the car ferry to take you across the Mekong.

Slee

Jan 10, 2007
quote:

Slee

Jan 10, 2007
[:)] Hi David, just wonder if you bump into my friends (2 of them) who tried to cross laos via friendship bridge using moped (yamaha 123lc)malaysia registration somewhere around christmas? they claimed you were there and were advised to use another entry. just wondering.

anyway, we (my friend & i were at chiengmai during that time)enjoyed the ride; from chiengmai to mae sai, mae taeng, mae hon song n back to chiengmai.4d3n ride (25 - 28/12/2007) look forward for another ride maybe this year end ie dec 2007.

quote:

[:)]

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
quote:

Originally posted by Slee

[:)] Hi David, just wonder if you bump into my friends (2 of them) who tried to cross laos via friendship bridge using moped (yamaha 123lc)malaysia registration somewhere around christmas? they claimed you were there and were advised to use another entry. just wondering.

anyway, we (my friend & i were at chiengmai during that time)enjoyed the ride; from chiengmai to mae sai, mae taeng, mae hon song n back to chiengmai.4d3n ride (25 - 28/12/2007) look forward for another ride maybe this year end ie dec 2007.

quote:

Slee
Yep I sure did meet your two mates on the little Yams & I was impressed with them & their plans.
I also shepherded them across the border at Bun Kan / Pakxan & the last I saw of them was as they left Pakxan for the AGL insurance office
& then Vientiane. I never saw of heard from them again, so it would be great to get some news & maybe even a brief trip report.

Slee

Jan 10, 2007
Thanks David for your reply. FYI, they didn't make it to China, anyway they end up 'til Luang Prabang (strict China regulations, I think you knows better.) Yeah, I'll inform them to post for the road trip.

Will try to catch up with you in my future road trip.

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Slee

quote:

Slee
Yep I sure did meet your two mates on the little Yams & I was impressed with them & their plans.
I also shepherded them across the border at Bun Kan / Pakxan & the last I saw of them was as they left Pakxan for the AGL insurance office
& then Vientiane. I never saw of heard from them again, so it would be great to get some news & maybe even a brief trip report.

uss

Mar 1, 2007
Hey, was just wonering exactly how impossible it would be to cross into China from Laos. Are there any other alternatives, the plan is tp ride from SE Asia back to Europe...

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
quote:

Hey, was just wonering exactly how impossible it would be to cross into China from Laos. Are there any other alternatives, the plan is tp ride from SE Asia back to Europe...

Seeing as you are a new member I will say welcome BUT I will add,please use the search capability on this forum, also read the New Members Forum. Your question has been answered and discussed many times.

To be brief and simple, NO you cannot ride into China. You will find some have managed under expensive and special circumstances but for the average person it is not easy or likely.

Do some more reading on this forum and you will find many of your questions thoroughly answered.