Leaving Laos on Friendship Bridge

helenk

Mar 26, 2005
We have just come out of Laos today. We didn't notice until we were at immigration that, despite Dave asking for 2 weeks for the bike on entering, the documents clearly stated one week. Fortunately, it did not seem to be a problem and I don't think we were fined. We paid 13000 kip to depart for 2 people and the bike. They did keep asking us for the purple bike passport though and we had to insist that as non-Thais we did not need one. Eventually they just let us through.

Make sure you check the dates before you leave immigration.

Look at our photos:
Link removed

BobS

Jan 20, 2003
There was no departure fee at the bridge the last time through. So, I guess that you did get fined. 50 baht is not too bad.

One thing to watch is the fact that the day you enter is the first day on the visa. So a week is up 6 days after you enter, not 7.

This happened to me at the bridge 3 years ago, so my bike was 1 day overstay. Cost me a 200 baht fine, with an official receipt.

I have exited at Chong Mek several times after bike overstay, and just got stamped out.

BobS

"The true secret of giving advice is, after you have honestly given it, to be perfectly indifferent whether it is taken or not and never persist in trying to set people right."