Leaving Pakse tomorrow 28/02/08...anyone else on the road???

May 9, 2006
Am awaiting a bike arranged thru GT-board member Jimoi and www.remoteasia.com. Check the website, it is very beautifully done, and so far I have every impression that these folks know intimately what they are doing. I think they provide full group tours but are willing to develop a plan for the solo do-it yourselfer like myself, whith route recommendations and knowledge of local conditions and festivals for the time you are travelling.

Will be heading out tomorrow, if anyone else is out on a ride, maybe we can update each other on route details, favorable lodgings etc. Maybe a beer if we cross paths?

BTW, I have always "winged it" as far as my road trips go, but Quynh at www.remoteasia.com seems right on top of things, email replies to my questions are always in my mail box next time I log on. She and Jim gave me a nice suggested itinerary...and are sending a cellphone with the bike which is nice to have as a backup...am wondering how the cell coverage is here?

Good bit of advice....Cambodia and it looks like the popular areas in Laos maybe, are booming this time of year. Just finished a 2 week ride in Cambodia, where I found all the cheaper "fan" (

Rhodie

Mar 5, 2006
You are in v good hands with Quynh & Jimoi.
They have looked after me & my son on a number of trips to Laos & Vietnam.
As you are finding Laos & Cambo are v popular @ this time of year.
Accommodation in Laos does require booking ahead, if you want something half-way decent.
Have a good trip and keep us posted.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
deepcdiver wrote: Am awaiting a bike arranged thru GT-board member Jimoi and www.remoteasia.com. Check the website, it is very beautifully done, and so far I have every impression that these folks know intimately what they are doing. I think they provide full group tours but are willing to develop a plan for the solo do-it yourselfer like myself, whith route recommendations and knowledge of local conditions and festivals for the time you are travelling.

Will be heading out tomorrow, if anyone else is out on a ride, maybe we can update each other on route details, favorable lodgings etc. Maybe a beer if we cross paths?

BTW, I have always "winged it" as far as my road trips go, but Quynh at www.remoteasia.com seems right on top of things, email replies to my questions are always in my mail box next time I log on. She and Jim gave me a nice suggested itinerary...and are sending a cellphone with the bike which is nice to have as a backup...am wondering how the cell coverage is here?

Good bit of advice....Cambodia and it looks like the popular areas in Laos maybe, are booming this time of year. Just finished a 2 week ride in Cambodia, where I found all the cheaper "fan" ( <$10 without "air-con") rooms get booked by 2:30 PM, leaving only the $15 "air-con" rooms.

Same with motos, my email to PP Bike Shop got lost in the internet, Bernard's first line bikes were all gone. Quynh had warned him I might be showing up sometime, he fortunately had a Suzuki Djebel he was sub-leasing for someone else. Bent handlebar and a sticking kill-switch which stalled the bike the second day a couple times, but which were fixed in Sihanoukville very cheaply. Turned out to be a very decent bike.....Lucky Lucky was out of bikes at one shop, they thought they might have an enduro left at the other place.

Arrived at 1:30 in Pakse Laos today, no scooters left at all to rent in town, I checked all 6 vendors..."full"... "finish"..."no have". Also most cheaper fan rooms already booked.

So be advised, leaving bike rental arrangements to the last minute this time of year will not pay....book ahead!
Deepcdiver
Just wondering how was your trip overall? Any feedback?