License checks!!

BobS

Jan 20, 2003
Last Saturday, I travelled from Chiang Mai to Sukhothai by the smaller roads.

I was on Route 1048 which goes from Thoen to Savannahlok. About 25 km east of Thoen, there was a police box with the red light flashing.

The normal routine is to slow up and raise the helmet visor. They see that you are a falang on a big bike and wave you through. Not this time.

Before I got to the light, they were signalling me to pull over and park. The officer asked if I had a license.

I gave him my Thai license. He proceeded to copy down all the info into a large notebook. Then gave me the license back, said thank you and goodbye.

While I was there, they also pulled over a pickup truck with a Thai driver and did the same thing. Another car was waved through.

I have no idea why this was done. Anyone else have a similar experience?

I also have no idea what would have happened if I had no license, or if the bike was not registered.

BobS

SiFuh

Jan 14, 2004
I thought this one was quite funny.

If it were a western country everything would appear so normal.
But this is Thailand! Looks like they are just out there to catch unregistered licence users and jotting the information down as evidence that they are working and not sleeping in the booth. Either that or they are seriously bored being out in the smaller districts ;)

cheers
SiFuh

BobS

Jan 20, 2003
Well, yes it is funny from one standpoint.

But, the other fact is that there are more and more vehicle, license, and helmet checks happenning in Northern Thailand.

No problem if you are driving legally - but there are a lot of people who are not.

BobS

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy shit...what a ride!"