Looking for a Suzuki DR 250

Jan 16, 2007
Hi all

Back for a year and looking for Suzuki DR 250, as I was reliably informed by a GT rider this is a good all purpose bike for Thailand, (open to conflicting views). Preferably I want one that is in the Chiang Mai area.

I will be in town this weekend 15th June.

See you all at the Kafe

Anty

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Anty
Be good to see you back in town at the Kafe, just so that I can put a face & name to theantlion!
Not really sure about the reliable GT Rider tip for a DR250, as I dont know any GT Rider who's ridden a lot - long distances / days - on one up here. Most of the guys seem to have Honda XR/XLR 250s / DR400s / Road bikes / Africa Twins / BeEms.
Your best bet seeking a bike would be to specify type - dual purpose / on or off road / capacity / budget limit. Then you should get some feed back on what's readily available. And if you want to order from a shop, they should be able to get something in roughly 6 -8 weeks max.

I look forward to seeing you at the Kafe - just look for the Africa Twin out the front, yep I'm back on the road!

Jun 10, 2006
Anty,
The English biker who bought my DR250 (unregistered, but with all import documents) more than a year ago is considering selling it, as he just acquired a XL250R with a number plate. But he's not sure yet, as the DR rides much better than the XL, and ideally he'd like to keep both. The only reason he bought the XL is the fact that it is registered, as he wants to travel to Laos and Cambodia, which he can't do on the unregistered DR. If you're not crossing the border and staying away from BKK and further south, riding without registration is not much of an issue up north. The DR comes with both the stock steel tank and a large-range plastic tank, and if he sells, he'd ask Bht30K for it. Let me know if you want his contact details.

Jun 10, 2006
quote:

Originally posted by Davidfl

Not really sure about the reliable GT Rider tip for a DR250, as I dont know any GT Rider who's ridden a lot - long distances / days - on one up here.

I have! And for long distances and days on end, never letting me down once. It has been a reliable bike in all the years I've owned it. The current owner Peter is also happy with it, and like I said, if it had a number plate, he would not sell it. I've also had a DR650, which was equally reliable and a great bike.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
quote:

Originally posted by GypsyRider

quote:

Originally posted by Davidfl

Not really sure about the reliable GT Rider tip for a DR250, as I dont know any GT Rider who's ridden a lot - long distances / days - on one up here.

I have! And for long distances and days on end, never letting me down once. It has been a reliable bike in all the years I've owned it. The current owner Peter is also happy with it, and like I said, if it had a number plate, he would not sell it. I've also had a DR650, which was equally reliable and a great bike.

GypsyRider
Sounds like you got me - as soon as you open your mouth there's always someone to prove you wrong. Too bad I never saw you on the road while you had it - you were probably doing all those tough trails I cant do on the Africa Twin.
I sort of agree too that the DR250s are probably better all round bikes than the XRs/ XLRs, but you don’t see that many around in the North. Plus, Hondas always seem to have better parts availability, so to me would generally seem a better buy here.

Rhodie

Mar 5, 2006
Just had the pleasure of riding both here in Laos.
Jimoi kindly lent me his DR for riding "off-road" around town.
Then went to LP and back on a XR.
My preference was for the DR - it's weight appeared to give a more solid ride.
But spare parts availability I gather can be a real issue requiring sourcing out of Singapore.

Jun 21, 2006
Know of a Honda Degree XL250 for sale,if interested.

about 50,000 baht, has green book/Rego....

Bike located Koh Samui, Southern Thailand

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
Gee David, Nice to be forgotten (as BobS has pointed out in an email). Let's see???? You and I did a number of dirt loops together. I did more than 3 weeks in Laos. I don't know how many posts on riding at the Chiang Mai Speedway. Oh yeah, the 1252 Loop, the Elephant Trail, MHS and Mae Chaem and on and on.

Oh Yeah, what did I ride? A DR250? That was a broken arm and no head injury right?[;)]

Jul 11, 2006
how about a mint d-traker 250 motard Kawasaki, was formally in chaing mai now in khon kaen I bought as a filler in while the ZX12 was being sorted, now for sale at 95k NO BOOK , its a 2003 model with leo vance pipe rsv headers, 90% tyres Road Type, very quick and stable, no accidents.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
quote:

Originally posted by SilverhawkUSA

Gee David, Nice to be forgotten (as BobS has pointed out in an email). Let's see???? You and I did a number of dirt loops together. I did more than 3 weeks in Laos. I don't know how many posts on riding at the Chiang Mai Speedway. Oh yeah, the 1252 Loop, the Elephant Trail, MHS and Mae Chaem and on and on.

Oh Yeah, what did I ride? A DR250? That was a broken arm and no head injury right?[;)]

Yeah yeah could be a head injury alright, but you've got so many bikes now I forget what you have / ride. It's always the other bike you're riding. (But, whats' this about BobS sending emails to correct my memory lapses?)

jimoi

Nov 17, 2004
Well, I'll part with mine. 250 DR and I have run long rides on it. I like the fact it's heavier than an XR but it's time for me to upgrade to a 2 stroke 250 and I don't need the DR then.

Email me and we'll start that chat about it all. I'm in VTE and it won't cost much.

Jimoi

Jan 16, 2007
Hi
Well work changed my free day on me so I will now be C.M. on the 22nd. I want a multi purpose bike to enable me for comfortable long journeys (still having flash backs to me two week 'Dream' experience). But it has to be also capable of carrying me to work through the worst of the rainy season, hence the need for an off roader. I have a 750 Africa Twin waiting for me when I get back to England, bought before I left, so I figured something a little tamer to familiarise myself with whilst I am here. I suppose a Honda 250 would be a little more appropriate, same makers and all, just not sure if it will be all that comfortable for those long road journeys. I reckon around 100, 000 will buy me a tasty bike in decent nick. Any more information please contact me.
Thanks for all the advice.
See ya,
anty.
PS I did meet a lot of you at the Unlimited Horizons meeting Febuary, really enjoyed that when is the next one?

Blake

Aug 14, 2005
quote:

Originally posted by jimoi

it's time for me to upgrade to a 2 stroke 250 and I don't need the DR then.

I am selling my 2stroke Yamaha DT 200. Rebuilt with plenty of ballz. And the book and plates are all good on it.

Email me at [email [email protected]][email protected][/email] for questions, or call my wife Sai in CM to check it out 087-184-5196
I will be back home for a few months so she can show the bike.

cdrw

Oct 6, 2006
quote:

Originally posted by theantlion

I suppose a Honda 250 would be a little more appropriate, same makers and all, just not sure if it will be all that comfortable for those long road journeys. I reckon around 100, 000 will buy me a tasty bike in decent nick. Any more information please contact me.

Maybe not appropriate for your budget...but more suitable for 'those long road journeys'...than a 250cc. A local Pattaya just received a new 2006 DRZ400...with 3700-km on the speedo. Price...and if I understood correctly, it includes reg/license (though now unlicensed)is 220,000-Bt.