looking to do a week or so ride of mae hong song loop in feb

Jun 21, 2006
Cheers Pikey, shit I must be getting old, here I was reading straight off their card, saw the MHS, but didn't see the word Pai

And i even said the same thing to Big and Tall when he asked me about accom in MHS and I told him Tonsa.

Ray, sorry 'bout giving you a bum steer, but if you end up staying in Pai, you know where to go.

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
Actually that might turn out just fine I have no clue yet exactly where I will be wherever it is it will be new to me.

So whats around Pai?

Jun 21, 2006
Ray, its worth stopping at least 1 nite both in MHS and Pai, lots to explore around the place.

There are about 1,850 bends from CNX to MHS so you can see will take a while to get there

Read daewoo's trip report of the trip both he and I did, and heaps of other reports of guys doing the MHS Loop

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
Danielle
Cyclist

I'm afraid I have some bad news won't be able to leave Udon until the 11th of February.

Ray

Oct 17, 2006
Seeing Danielle´s posting I thought it might be fun to have more lasses on the trail, my daughter Steffi , Sao and Danielle are all of the same youth.

The rough palnning so far is =

Steffi arrives Phuket on Jan 18s.
Sometime thereafter she want to take the train to CM arriving CM Jan 31.
Sao and I drive up from Phuket to CM.

In CM the group Danielle, Steffi, Sao, Pico ( who else is interested ? ) will do a joint ride to MHS or ??

Danille will ride her own bike, she is not a racer.
Steffi does not ride a motorbike, she is a horseback rider, last year seen in Russia. She will be a cheerful pillion but who wants to be her pilot??

John of Jonadda offered his services as a guide but doesnt kown about his luck yet provided he wants to have a pillion.
I may trail the group because my Sao the sidecar passenger demands comfort over speed.

Maximum time available =

Jan 31 - Febr. 8

Looking forward to your comments.
Pico

Nov 28, 2007
*bump*
So this is looking to be a sure-thing with 5 people so far.
I will post it in the events forum.

Any more takers?

It will be *less* than $25USD per person, per day for tour our guide, John, from Jonnadda Guesthouse in Chiang Mai.
Other costs include: bike hire, fuel and accom.

Should be fun!!!!!!!!

Oct 17, 2006
It looks as if Franz, a SilverWing expert will join us from Germany.
The plan is that he will drive up with me from Phuket, perhaps even on a rented Honda SilverWing 600cc.
That should make nice photos op.
Warned him that English is the only (true) language

Pico :D

Nov 28, 2007
Hi there Pico. I've been in touch with John (from Jonnadda Guesthouse.) He's been telling me about riding gear that you can buy in markets in Thailand. I think I might bring some, and buy some there. Providing its not too hot, i'd like to wear full gear (boots, kevlar lined jeans.. or normal jeans, jacket, gloves, helmet.. maybe open faced, not sure.) We could try and schedule our days for early morning- lunchtime riding, afternoons to sight-see or swim, and cool down. Suppose we can form a plan when we all meet in Chiang Mai!

And welcome to you Franz, from Germany. I can't speak any other languages.. so yep.. english FTW!!!!!!

Here is the post that I put in the event section:
Clicky (Let me know if I have any details incorrect!!)

Cheers 8)

Oct 17, 2006
Sounds good,
one risk factor= Steffi has a flight back to Germany on Sat Febr 9. at 14:30 OUT OF Singapore.

I have not yet found a direct flight CM - SIN at an acceptable price. They range in $500.

Nov 28, 2007
hey pico. I got a flight for $AUD 35 bangkok to chiang mai through air asia. www.airasia.com.

I believe tiger air are a cheap carrier. They fly bangkok to singapore...
i couldnt find flights from other thai cities to chiang mai.. seems you would have to transfer in bangkok.

Under 2000 THB for a flight BKK - Singapore.
Link removed

good luck- should be able to find a couple flights there for the 8th or 9th feb.

Oct 17, 2006
Thats helpful, Danielle, tks.

As you mentiond your protective gear, I havnt thought about things for Steffi, her horse helmet looks very becoming but...

Will find out where to rent,
because this is her very first motorbike trip, It is premature to go into buying outfit only to discard it after one week.

Oct 17, 2006
FOR GROUP PLANNING=

website info = Tigerair leaves on Friday Febr 8 , at 9 am.
To make the connection Steffi will spend 1 night in SIN

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
ray23 wrote: Guys I neeed some hotel suggestion for Chaing Rai and Mae Hong Song.

Good firm bed is a definte requirement and some morning coffee would be nice. Safe parking for the bike.

The only place I have stayed there was the Duck something or another.

Not bad but a bit on the expensive side for what they offered, no farrang foods wahtsoever as I recall.
Ray
In Mae Hong Son I recommend Piya Ghouse. Tel: 053611260
In Chiang Rai: Nimseeseng Hotel. Tel: 053600421

Are you still need of a MHS Loop map? If yes, easy to get in Cnx. Lets meet at the Kafe when you hit town.

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
Thanks I appreciate the info:

I'm in good shape TJ's picking a map for me. He will be in Udon in the next few weeks

Jun 21, 2006
Ray

Have got your maps...

North Thailand was hard to find, had to go to 4 book shops before finding one, (I have bought about 4 myself so far for guys down south).

Will give you a ring and perhaps we can meet at same same coffee shop near Central where we met before

Jan 5, 2008
PICO-PICO wrote: Thats helpful, Danielle, tks.

As you mentiond your protective gear, I havnt thought about things for Steffi, her horse helmet looks very becoming but...

Will find out where to rent,
because this is her very first motorbike trip, It is premature to go into buying outfit only to discard it after one week.
I would love to embarras you with my riding helmet. I even got one with a chin cup. Ute is a Vespa-driver, I go and ask her. your lovely daughter!

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
TJ brought the map today, David I am impressed obviously created for riders by a rider. I was concerned how I was going to find the recommended guest houses they are listed and and shown on the maps. This is going to a make it much easier for a first time rider to the area

Jun 21, 2006
Ray

Cheers for the (free) coffee this morning

if the (free) dinner invite still stands, am happy to call around and answer all your questions

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
ray23 wrote: TJ brought the map today, David I am impressed obviously created for riders by a rider. I was concerned how I was going to find the recommended guest houses they are listed and and shown on the maps. This is going to a make it much easier for a first time rider to the area
Glad you like the map. It should be a great trip for you. Keep in touch while you're on the road & maybe we can meet up somewhere on the loop. MHS is best for me with the Baan Thai massage, Crossroads Pub, Chalet Pub, Salween Restaurant & Piya Ghouse...(got a few choice spots there!)

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
Sure it look like at the moment we are going to set out Sunday the 17th and do ten days.

Dinner let me know a few days ahead of time I'll try to get John and his wife over as well. Pot Roast sound all right?

Might even talk the sweety into a home made pie for desert. Thats how I get my goodies :wink:

Feb 5, 2007
I'm up for a road tour in early Feb.

Riding down to Pattaya for the Burupa bike and beer fest Feb 16