Mae Rim - Sop Kai return

Discussion in 'Northern Thailand - Road Trip Reports' started by DavidFL, May 17, 2014.

1. DavidFL

DavidFL Administrator Staff Member

On the lychee & coffee trail.....to the Mae Taeng River

A quick afternoon excursion to clear the cobwebs & take a peak at the roads + enjoy some more of the good life - fresh air & country roads.

Its straight up 107 with a quick stop at the new Mont Raming plaza centre.
    [​IMG]

The luxurious looking coffee shop
    [​IMG]
    & one of two actually.

The highlight of the place is the kids swimming pool
    [​IMG]
    a brilliant place for the locals & I have no doubt this Mont Raming centre is providing a great community service in Mae Taeng.
    3 cheers for the owner - the son of Raming Tea at Chiang Dao.
    Mont Raming is on R107, left hand side, 1 kms south of the R105 Pai turn off / 29 kms north of Chiang Mai.

Turn left onto R105 & 8 kms down the road in Sop Poeng village is a turn to the right to the Sop Kai.
    The route # 3052.

Sop Kai is a small village on the Mae Taeng river & the starting point for rafting trips on the Mae Taeng.

The road into Sop Kai is now all asphalt - cement, but a lot of it single lane cement & very very step & winding in quite a few places.
    [​IMG]
    21 kms & it is a beauty of a road, but again you need to watch out for the narrow single lane & oncoming cars on the many blind corners, especially at the Sop Kai end.

A few road snaps.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Check out the tree in the background
    [​IMG]
    the big split in the trunk - I wonder what caused that.
    Something strong alright. Ouch.

The narrow road
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    watch out for other vehicles coming round the corner.

The Sop Poeng - Sop Kai road runs through beautiful lychee orchards
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Halfway in a funky little house with a stunning vista
    [​IMG]

more to come...

2. Loading...

3. DavidFL

Now I thought this place was a gem of a spot & the perfect place to take a break & have a cuppa.
    So I parked the bike, crossed the stream on the rickety suspension bridge to climb the steps & chill out.
    AND
    It was a private residence.
    Apologies Karen for intruding.
    You are indeed lucky living there in that perfect little paradise.

1.4 kms away up on the hill though, overlooking the road

[​IMG]

is Doi Taeng Coffee

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    a gem of a rustic spot it is too

[​IMG]
    plus you get a big cup of beans

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Plus a really nice cuppa

[​IMG]

& if you're really lucky you can get a cup of civet poo coffee

[​IMG]
    well worth checking out if you consider yourself a serious coffee connoisseur.

After Doi Taeng, the road drops down & then way up again before the steep descent into Sop Kai.

But not before the "village of lights."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sop Kai is 8.5 kms from Doi Taeng coffee & on the Mae Taeng river, where all the rafting action starts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    but not so in low season.

[​IMG]
    In high season there can be scores of bamboo rafts on the river shooting the rapids from Sop Kai to Muang Khut.

Check it all out sometime

[​IMG]

it's an easy half - 3/4 day excursion from Chiang Mai & damn invigorating in the fresh country air.

4. Rod Page

Rod Page Ol'Timer

Dfl,

I am extremely pleased to see Sop Kai 'back on the menu'.

The Sop Kai area is one of the real treats close to Chaing Mai; offering a wide range of pleasant, well outstanding day rides for those living in the area. It really has everything that anyone could be looking for & fitting in with the broadest possible range of wishes - great scenic roads in a countrified atmosphere, 'tourist activities' - elephants, zip lines, white-water rafting......, the full range of coffee, eating & (top) accommodation options, a choice of complete circuits to ride, authentic hill-tribes, on & off-road options, & all of them nothing less than sensational.

I am amazed at how few people head out that way......another of the delights of the trip!

I know you will not mind my posting this link - http://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum/showthread.php/34520-The-quot-Sop-Kai-Loop-quot-(off-Mae-Taeng) offering GTR's alternative routes to & fro Sop Kai. Get out & give this one a go; you want be disappointed!!!!

5. CraigBKK

CraigBKK Ol'Timer

Never realised Thailand had Kopi Luwak too. I've spent the last years living in Indonesia and civet cat coffee or 'cat-poo chino' to the connoisseur ;) is famous there; although very few people can afford to drink it!

6. DavidFL