Mae Sa Long Leisure Trip

Rusty

Sep 2, 2005
OK, so here is a blacktop trip for those interested in the “leisure” rides or those sightseeing or riding two-up. This trip we took two-up about Dec 1st from CM to Mae Sa Long for a few days.

The bike for this trip is a CB400 Super Four I rented in Chiang Mai from Mr. Mechanic. As a rental bike, it was a great little bike for the size and the roads here. Make sure you have good brakes before you go!!! Last year I went there on a Phantom and I smoked the rear brakes off it although they were not very good to begin with. The Phantom pales in comparison to the CB400 for compression and uphill power.

Obviously the Phantom is a 200, and well, the CB400 is a 400! But the frame style and compression make the CB400 a better choice for those of you wondering or not sure (in my opinion go with the CB400).

Good enough power and compression for the hills and nice and light for rounding the corners. I had this one up to about 135kms per hour (solo of course!) and it was still creeping as I ran out of straight road.

DSC00035.jpg

The road on 107 is under construction for about 10-15kms south of Chiang Dao so for now you should probably take 1001 to Phrao and cut over to 107 using 1150 to bypass it.

The road the rest of the way was great!!

Once you get in Mae Sa Long there are a few choices to stay if you like, the GT-Rider book still has the best advice. The Mae Salong Villa has the best food. Rooms there last year were about 600-800BHT.

This is a view from the parking lot next to the giant chickens they have there.

DSC00038.jpg

Mae Sa Long is famous for the Chinese Army/KMT settlement and you will see evidence of this everywhere. Tea is also grown all through the hills and is the main industry there. (Unless they got some “secret” patches of you know what way off somewhere!)

Our favorite tea is from Choke Chameron Tea company there. It’s not cheap, but you can chisel them down if you try. Here is a tea sales lady at the Mae Salong Villa where they sell it. Good luck with it!

DSC00039.jpg

There are a few activities and things to do there. There is a temple at the top of the mountain there, Wat Santi Khirl you can ride to or walk the “700” steps from the village (actually 1400 if you plan on returning right?)
DSC00086.jpg

Breathtaking views from up there, don’t miss this if you go!

This time we stayed at Shin Sane Guest house. Mr. Ho there has signs all along the road as you enter the village. We got a bungalow for 300BHT a night and it was a great deal! Mr. Ho speaks English well and he does not seem to be into the racket of cheating Farangs. For 30 baht at his restaurant you can eat your fill. Look for the big blue signs about mid-way through town on the upper side of the hill.

There is a road about 12kms long that passes through the hills starting at the school near the east side of town. Go to the right of the school near the booths and then veer to the right.

The road is paved/dirt and we made it no problem with the CB400.
DSC00052.jpg

A few spots are steep but just use your best judgment. The road goes by some Lahu, Akha and other villages and comes out at Ban Klang.

DSC00047.jpg

Other things to see there include all the tea factories the Chinese Martyrs museum (kind of lame) and the nice Chinese atmosphere. Not a bad place to check out if you are heading to the Triangle and want to see something different, maybe pick up some tea. The roads in and out are steep and winding to boot.