Marco in hospital

Aug 7, 2003
Hi Marco,

I just finished a week in north Thailand touring Nan and Loei with Marco, so a bit of a shock. I suppose I should have come with you to slow you down a bit. Sorry, but you just have to get on the bus again so we can go riding again.

I'm sure Bee will give you some good care, get well soon.(Remember SISU)

On another note , does anyone have news of Bard?? He texted me Monday that he had been run off the road. But as I was boarding a chopper to go offshore (no mobiles) I have no more information. He was also on the way home from Khon Khaen on his Harley.

Please take care, I know broken bones hurt,
Harri.

Sep 4, 2007
harrythefinn wrote: Hi Marco,

On another note , does anyone have news of Bard?? He texted me Monday that he had been run off the road. But as I was boarding a chopper to go offshore (no mobiles) I have no more information. He was also on the way home from Khon Khaen on his Harley.

Harri.
Harri please see link below where Bard explains what happened, he will soon be back riding
http://secretsoi.com/board/index.php?topic=817.0

Sep 4, 2007
Went in today with 3 of my Khon Kaen rider friends, Khun Bad, Khun Tong, and Khun Boy,

Marco has moved to the SOVO building in Srinakarin hospital. Floor 11 VIP room 3. He has been eating and actully managed to get up by himself and get to the bathroom, only by Khun Bee's report when he was angry enough at the nurses for the poor attention he was getting, to show them that he could do it. Room very nice, actually bedroom sitting room bathroom, 2 TV (No good channels) microwave and fridge.
Definately improving, but chest drain not removed yet and that going home day still seems to be 2 or 3 days in the future

Sep 4, 2007
I am not a medical guy, but when you break ribs you break some blood vessels and these bleed into the chest cavity, not actually into the lungs, so no he did not have a lung injury, but he has some blood where it should not be.

Sep 4, 2007
Ok Ray, now I am a medical guy, I ought to cover myself and say that in the case of a bad impaling type injury then of course it is possible that broken ribs or some other object could puncture the lungs, causing a collapsed lung and breathing problems. Certainly not Marco's case, but if you leave blood outside the lungs in the chest cavity it restricts the lung movement and so affects breathing. Marco has found it difficult to breathe some of the time, but that is also because it hurts due to the rib injuries. End of medical guys ramblings.

Apr 20, 2009
Marco, I'll say a prayer for a speedy recovery and no infections! You're in our thoughts.

Liam

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
Hi guys

im still in hospital in kk,,and ltestst update for u,,,my left lung hasNOT come back its former glory and i still have same ammount of fluid in thre than 2days ago, today has been painfull day as every move i have taken th tube inside seems to move,,,(n morphine,evev nurrses wanna inject it to me)

i have as John said in the 1st post,,fracture left color bone+3fractured ribs No3,4 & 7

So it will be weekend in hospitail here in KK and will see what next wek brings.

btw,they are not putting bone in figure 8 harness untill my lungs are not ok,,,if fluid is not coming out by it self i will need to go under knife and take in that way,,,

OK,,that is latest now and keep u guyes updated and BIG THANK YOOU FOR ALL OF YOU GUYS & GIRS FOR YOUR NICE WORDS
And SPECIAL thank for John G. and Khun Bat in KK riders, those guys took care of my bike and me every step of the way.

:take-that: im almost firering with all cylinders,,after6-8weeks

Ally

Dec 13, 2007
3,4,7 6-8 Ha ! I'm off out to buy me a lottery ticket - Cheers Marco!

:lol-sign:

Great to see you posting here.

Ally

Oct 17, 2006
Still it all sounds as if everything could have been much worse. Just consider yourself lucky. That will help the self-healing process.

Take your time, Marco!!

All the best

Pico

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
Take your time buddy,it requires more time to heal then the accident unfortunately. Enjoy the nice nurses and be a good patient :happy1:

Sep 4, 2007
Returned to Khon Kaen today from my trip to CM delivering the DTracker to Ian. Flew back on the new Nok Air Mini service. 1 hour 10 minutes 3 times a week.
3700 Baht, but 50% discount if you book 2 weeks before you fly.
Went in tonite to see Marco, yes still in Srinakarin hospital. I had told him to keep his pecker up during this long stay, but he informed me his pecker is not up at all and not likely to be for some time, but fortunately his spirits and sense of humour have definately taken a leap in the right direction. As for his civility, cordiality, and general aquiesence to those taking care of him,, better not comment, but I did wonder if they were actually keeping him in until that area improved as well. Not too likely, I think the hospital would be well advised to admit defeat and let him go home.
Unfortunately that is not possible yet ,as whatever is gumming up the inside of his rib cage, it is dribbling out frustratingly slowly, so the drain and bottle are still connected to Marco's innards. They are talking of having to use a vacuum to get it out and I have offered Marco the use of my nearly new Dyson Cyclonic cleaner which has tremendous sucking power and easy to clean, not using those nasty dust bags.
Marco also has more mobility and told me he had done 20 rounds of floor 11 of the hospital, that must be about 2km and is more than Marco has walked in the last year. (Seamen do NOT WALK). I think that semen actually swim, but I am not an expert, having had chop some years ago.
As you can hopefully see from the tone of this post, things are definately looking up for Marco, it is just unfortunate that his stay is so extended and going to last at least four or five more days, which is frustrating and expensive, also because Khun Bee is steadfastly at his side, (now permanently wearing ear plugs to avoid most of the profanities). While at his side her pharmacy remains closed, so losing income and maybe some customers.

Dougal

Dec 18, 2007
Thanks again John for the update, your efforts and your political correctness in describing Marco's personal and social skills in public relations!!

Hey! Maybe we should consider modifying Marco's Forum Category of Revered Old Git.........like er.......... maybe dispense with "Revered" and include .................... oh I don't know........maybe.........Cantankerous? Belligerent? Grouchy? Cranky? I do tend to lean towards the last two.

Any thoughts?

Sep 4, 2007
Dougal wrote: Hey! Maybe we should consider modifying Marco's Forum Category of Revered Old Git.........like er.......... maybe dispense with "Revered" and include .................... oh I don't know........maybe.........Cantankerous? Belligerent? Grouchy? Cranky? I do tend to lean towards the last two.

Any thoughts?

I think that you have some good ideas there Peter, but maybe we need to consider that you and I are both heading for the same title??

Apr 23, 2006
Sorry to hear that Marco is having to stay so long in hospital, but it does sound as though he is getting proper care which is the main thing. Hope you are "released" soon & make a quick recovery. :happy4:

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
Maytey,,,

you know you will pay derly for all this when you come back... :take-that:

Dougal wrote: Thanks again John for the update, your efforts and your political correctness in describing Marco's personal and social skills in public relations!!

Hey! Maybe we should consider modifying Marco's Forum Category of Revered Old Git.........like er.......... maybe dispense with "Revered" and include .................... oh I don't know........maybe.........Cantankerous? Belligerent? Grouchy? Cranky? I do tend to lean towards the last two.

Any thoughts?

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
Ok..latest news

This is my situation now
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemothorax

Today spok with dog again an tomorrow mornining(maybe) i will ha CT scan to my lungs as the blood remain between my left lung and breast cavity
also today i deny they propoced A thoracoscope is a thin tube-like instrument used to examine the inside of the chest. A thoracoscope has a light and a lens for viewing and may have tool to remove tissue as that has unfortuned side effect for hurting the lung in long term.

but like i said earlier, lets wait and see as this drainage tube is safest but slowest option.

other than that, today i have been nice and very smily towards the nurses, also noticed that today 2 brand new nurses gave me bath,, :happy1:

ok,,time for go back to my electrical operated bed and relax,,will update you guys again soon or if not me, John will do it

thank you again taking your time for reading my hospital world and your nice words

Dougal

Dec 18, 2007
John, you are quite right there! Thanks again for your efforts.

Hey Grouchy, nice detailed update and how many nurses did it take to bath you? Lucky you're not charged by surface area 'cos that would cost a fortune!!
I'm not saying you're big or fat or anything its just that the last time you went swimming the Japanese 'whaling' fleet put to sea!
OK, OK I'm sorry. Too much? Over the top? I hope to God I did'nt make you laugh!!

In all seriousness I am thinking of you and hope the solution can be found without too much discomfort to you.
Need you back home on your feet with sense of humour intact and making your cranky, ooops sorry, interesting comments and observations.
I'm trying hard to get some leave and get back over there and come see you.

All best wishes buddy.

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
UPDATE
and change of HOSPITAL(Again)

Yesterday was rought day so let me give some light and what is going on here.

like you all know i been promiced over and over again CT scan for lungs and and got delay after delay all the time and then yesterday it all came to day light and they say to me that i have to wait that abt 1.5mth more and stay here and meanwhile they will not do anything,, so i kind of boil over and said thats it,, we are going and start to search NEXT hospital, chanhes where Bkk, CM or Pattaya. My wife has contact in Korat so she caled to our cousin there and he work in seagate comp firm and they doing a lots of computers to director of on Bkk Hospital in Korat, so then the things start to rolling again and now my next destination in KORAT BkK hospital on Tuesday morning.

Back round what and why we end up to this desission:>
1.Srinakarin hospitalin i here KK where i stay now, I'm ONLY allowed to talk student doctor daily, and if im lucky i can see my doctor in charge 1time per week
2.They will keep on issuing Wrong medication to me what is in conflict against my curent DM condition and medication what they know clearly and they have my medical history
3. They refuce to issue to me any telephone number either to Customer servces of very senoir doctor phone number where i could make my case heard denyed now 5times, answer is always that i HAVE TO talk my student doctor first.
4.They also said yesterday that in NOT medically fitallowed to trasfered to any other medical facility, what hey denyed this morning and said that it's my desission to do or go anywhere i want.
5. Also it has been taken to my / wife attention that doctor here will NOT do anything to me (Fast) unless i will pay undertable money, so they can keep promicing and promicing but doing noting unless i pay.
those are only few what comes to my mind now and there was many more but cant remember them now.

ALSO ONE BIG POINT SHUT them up this morning as i told doctor that yesterday afternoon i have 20min long recorded conversation(i requested) with Finninsh Embassy in BKK where i did explained what has been going on so far,just incase something should go wrong and also that Finnish Embassy will looking in to this issue on Monday morning when office will be open again.

so far this playing around with KID doctors has cost us so much tha i have to refinance my car to get this all paid as im not working anywhere and can't work atleast next 6-8weeks after im out and back home.

So this is This morning and if nothing else until next time i will be in KORAT BKK hospital Tuesday noon Time and CT scan same afternoon.

Thank you again for all for your support and especially David U for your help on Doctors and directions and as always i try to keep you guys updated,,,

This is kind of topic of how the hospitals work in Thailand and what can and will go wrong if you dont have INSURANCE like me.

Until next time

Oct 17, 2006
Marco,

I can only wish that you get out of this mess. But I must also be honest, my pity is limited as long as I don't hear a very plausible reason for riding a fffffffffffff... expensive BMW AND not being health insured. To be seriously injured, to have money problems and to be blackmailed by your physician, that would be a perfect soap opera if this were not reality TV.

I have said before in the discussion on David's Un. post about bike insurance =
A good health insurance will be with an absolut degree of certainty be the best investment of your life.

I wish you good luck in any respect.

Pico

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
Hi Pico

We all do mistakes,,evev me and this is my call to pay of it, i know it but been always thinking that it wont happen to me as so many,,,until it happen,,,

i can assure that MY WIFE will not let me ride my bike until i have proper insurance after this...

but like said this is good learning lesson,, costly thou...

Apr 23, 2006
Sorry to hear of your problems, I'm rather concerned to hear that even some hospitals are on the fiddle & take! Hope all is sorted out very quickly!