Massive Police Crackdown on non Registered bikes in pattaya!

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
Ok guys question not a statement best I can tell thi started in Pattaya, any chance this is a special team, formed for this purpose and will be rotating through cities?

Oct 17, 2006
Had a look round the big bike rental pitches today all very empty seems most of the bikes are still in the pound. Spoke to one owner korn a Muslim lady who has 46 big bikes of which 39 have been impounded . She is very angry and worried , she says this is very different to the previous shakedowns which were resolved in days .This clampdown is from central government and incvolves POLICE,CUSTOMS ,TRANSPORT DEPT and TAX .

Its not going away quickly this is high season now and there are very few bigbikes out there for rent,

Nov 14, 2006
The club i'm riding with in BKK are quite worried about this recent crackdown, most of them (Thai guys) have no plate.
This sat they have set up a big meeting with some big bike clubs in Bangkok to discuss this matter. The goal is to have a talk with the government somehow, how to get the bikes road legal without spending a fortune.
Meeting will be at 59-bike's shop at 8pm this saturday.

www.59bike.com

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
I think everyone has concerns, let us know how the meeting goes won't be there Udon. Even if it is expensive better then losing the bike and having nothing. If it's good bike if not time to buy an approved new one.

KZ

Aug 20, 2003
If POLICE,CUSTOMS ,TRANSPORT DEPT and TAX are really working together and there is a risk-free way to get illegally assembled bikes WITH invoices legal for 50K THB, then I have only one question: How do I get my bike impounded?!

Oct 17, 2006
KZ it has to be done legally the police have no influence in the Transport and excise department.

However there is some good news and some bad news in Pattaya, many of the big rental bikes are back on their pitches and all have NEW number plates , apparently it was a very busy 3 weeks at the Transport department and a LOT of money was paid up to get books quickly Korn had to pay 2.5million Baht to get 28 of her bikes back including Tea money and fines , she still has 6 bikes that cannot be registered as they have no Import documents,they will be broken for spares . The rest were deemed legal already.She is shocked and pissed off but lucky to still be in business and now she reckons the rules will be enforced in future.

I saw about 50 bikes over 400cc for rent today on Beach road.

The bad news is that the police are stopping big bikes at random and asking to see the books and insurance,, already 3 bikes have been impounded for no legal books a Harley and Susuki GSXR and a Goldwing .Also another HD was impoundeds even though it had a book it was not a legal bookbut one of the dodgy Chantaburi stolen books. The owner is going to have to completely reregister the bike which will cost about 100,000.

They are going to slowly go through all the local bikes .

My wife was stopped today on her Rebel 250 but its all OK and legal as is my Ducati both registered in Bangkok on the main Computer and then Books transferred to Chonburi.

I am not worried but I urge anyone who has any fears about the legality or probity of your bikes registration to take action.

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
monsterman wrote: KZ it has to be done legally the police have no influence in the Transport and excise department....................

I am not worried but I urge anyone who has any fears about the legality or probity of your bikes registration to take action.
And just what action would you suggest ???

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
I guess about the only thing a person could do would be try to register it or take your chances. Maybe we will know more after this meeting today.

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
Ok I think this a pretty good breakdown of what it takes to import a personal vehilce. Remember this is all going to have to be done in Thai. Me I wopdl need a reputable Thai imprte to do this, Does anyone even know of one? You may also note that the tax rates aer set not at what you catully paid but what they beleive based on a cahrt what yuo should have paid. Freigth xcosts no beased on waht yuo paid, but the highest rate in the past ix months, That could bevery high since fuel was very expensive six months ago. Also doesn't metion emission control test.

Permanent Import of Personal Vehicles
The Permanent Import of a Personal Vehicles into Thailand
New vehicles of all types
Not yet registered abroad are allowed to be imported without applying for an import permit from the Ministry of Commerce. However, for the vehicles with the weight less than 3500 Kgs., an importer needs to obtain an import permit from the Industrial Standard Institute, telephone number +66 (0)2-2023331.

Used/secondhand vehicles
Need to obtain an import permit from the Foreign Trade Department of the Ministry of Commerce, telephone +66 (0)2-5474804. For the vehicles with the weight less than 3500 Kgs., an importer needs to obtain an import permit from the Industrial Standard Institute as well.

Warning...
For the importation of used/secondhand vehicles, an importer needs to obtain an import permit from the Foreign Trade Department of the Ministry of Commerce before the arrival of the vehicles; otherwise he/she shall be liable to a fine equal to 10 percent of the price of vehicle but not less than 1,000 Thai Baht, or exceeding 20,000 Thai Baht.
Criteria for a Permanent Import of Used/Secondhand Vehicles
An importer is eligible to import only ONE used/ secondhand vehicles for personal use.
In case where the importer is a nonresident, he/she is required to stay in Thailand for at least ONE year and present a non-immigrant visa issued by the Immigration Bureau, the National Police Office together with a work permit issued by the Ministry of Labor and Social Welfare at the time of importation.
In case where an importer is a Thai resident marrying a foreigner, he/she is required to present documentary evidence of marriage and proof of changing residence to Thailand. Also the importer has to own and possess the imported vehicle for at least one and a half year while staying abroad, from the date of transferring the ownership to the date of arrival into Thailand
In case where an importer is a Thai resident, he/she is allowed to import a vehicle only when such vehicle is accompanied the owner on the change of residence and he/she has owned and possessed the imported vehicle together with the valid driving license for at least one and a half year while staying abroad.

Documentation
General Documentation:
An Import Goods Declaration and 3 duplicates;
A Bill of Lading or Air Waybill;
Proof of vehicle purchase (if any);
A Release Order (Kor Sor Kor 100/1);
An insurance premium invoice; and
Other relevant documents (if any) e.g. a power of attorney.
Additional Documentation for the used/secondhand personal vehicles:
A House Certificate and an Identification Card;
A passport in case of changing residence;
A Vehicle Registration Certificate indicating that the imported vehicle was used abroad;
An import permit from the Foreign Trade Department of the Ministry of Commerce

Import Clearance Procedures
An importer/agent submits an Import Goods Declaration together with all supporting documents to the Customs office/house at the port of entry;
Customs verifies the documents, allocates a Goods Declaration number and calculates liable taxes and duties;
The importer/agent pays liable taxes and duties at a Cashier Office; and
The importer/agent presents the receipt issued by the Cashier Office to a Customs Inspection Office to bring the imported vehicles from Customs custody.

Tax and Duty Assessment:
The Customs value of the imported vehicles is determined on the basis of the CIF value (Cost, Insurance and Freight).

Customs Value
Purchase prices of new vehicles imported or exported by an authorized dealer.
If the purchase price in 4.1.1 is not available, the price listed in the Parkers Car Price Guide, Japanese Car and What Car?
Costs of any modification or improvement of parts or accessories done on the vehicle are also taken into account.
In case where the vehicle is damaged by any incidents other than normal use e.g car accidents, fire, etc. the price of the vehicle is discounted as appropriate.
The Customs value for used/secondhand vehicles is discounted according to the registration period as shown in the given table
Insurance
In case where the cost of insurance is paid before the arrival of a vehicle, the actual cost of insurance is applied.
In case where the cost of insurance in 4.2.1 is not available, the cost of insurance is calculated at 1% of the FOB value.
Transport Cost
In case where the latest transport cost of an authorized dealer is available, such cost is applied.
In case where the transport cost in 4.3.1 is not available, the transport cost indicated in the Customs Code of Practices is applied e.g. the higher transport cost of the same make and model vehicle within 6 preceding months, etc.
In case where the transport costs in 4.3.1 and 4.3.2 are not available, the transport cost is calculated at 10% of FOB value.

Table of Tax and Duty Rates

Dec 24, 2007
monsterman wrote: KZ it has to be done legally the police have no influence in the Transport and excise department.

However there is some good news and some bad news in Pattaya, many of the big rental bikes are back on their pitches and all have NEW number plates , apparently it was a very busy 3 weeks at the Transport department and a LOT of money was paid up to get books quickly Korn had to pay 2.5million Baht to get 28 of her bikes back including Tea money and fines , she still has 6 bikes that cannot be registered as they have no Import documents,they will be broken for spares . The rest were deemed legal already.She is shocked and pissed off but lucky to still be in business and now she reckons the rules will be enforced in future.

The bad news is that the police are stopping big bikes at random and asking to see the books and insurance,, already 3 bikes have been impounded for no legal books a Harley and Susuki GSXR and a Goldwing .Also another HD was impoundeds even though it had a book it was not a legal bookbut one of the dodgy Chantaburi stolen books. The owner is going to have to completely reregister the bike which will cost about 100,000.

My wife was stopped today on her Rebel 250 but its all OK and legal as is my Ducati both registered in Bangkok on the main Computer and then Books transferred to Chonburi.

2.5 million baht!

So how is the best way to check? Call central records?

Oct 17, 2006
I was stopped twice today by highway police who asked to see my green book so i will have to take it down to the police station .I am getting reports from guys riding big bikes all around Chonburi and Rayong about being hassled for Green book if you cannot produce it the bike is impounded .They give you 3 days to bring the book in if you have Plates and Insurance?Tax tags that are valid if not itsw impounded on the spot...I will do it on Monday .

Feb 8, 2009
I was stopped twice today by highway police who asked to see my green book so i will have to take it down to the police station .I am getting reports from guys riding big bikes all around Chonburi and Rayong about being hassled for Green book if you cannot produce it the bike is impounded .They give you 3 days to bring the book in if you have Plates and Insurance?Tax tags that are valid if not itsw impounded on the spot...I will do it on Monday .
Goddammit!
I was planning to go get my freshly delivered green book tomorrow.
Have to move from Trat to Pattaya :x :x :x
Guess I'll have to wait a few days for the wankers to quiet down before going...

Oct 17, 2006
Blue Max wrote: [quote quote=monsterman]KZ it has to be done legally the police have no influence in the Transport and excise department.

2.5 million baht!

So how is the best way to check? Call central records?
Max it cost her 2.5m because the bikes had no registration she had all the import documents but had never bothered to register them she has now average cost was 50,000 per bike most were Steeds,shadows or fireblades or CBR600 plus fines ,etc.

Dec 24, 2007
I kinda figured that mm. But was exclaiming 2.5mil due to the staggering amount that it is!

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
Time for a little rumor Control:

A local dealer her is telling the guys wihtout books that if they go to Bangkok and pay the taxes on the bike they don't need the book and the Police won't sieze it.

True or not true?

I think I already know the answer to this but I don't want say anything without asking people who are in the area. Human Beings Being human beings and always taking the path of least residence. The guys want to beleive it.

May 25, 2006
HuaHin
Hi Ray,

Interesting question on rumor....

Frankly I doubt about it but I am quite far from the buzz and rumors.

If it's so it will cost much more to those who need to do something than the famous 50 or 80 KTBH we are talking about for the Green Book registration...

At least this grey bikes will cost a lot..

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
Let me try my question a different way

Has anyone or someone you know been stopped, with just the invoice showing import taxes paid?
If so was the bike siezed?

I have a book cost me 70K but there are lot of guys here who were told they didn't need one a few years back, which was true a few years back since it wasn't enforced. The economy stinks they are living on fixed incomes that is big chunk of money to them. They have the import Ect, but they a afraid to ride.

So the need an answer they need to know if he bike will be siezed if they get caught up in this.

The only information I can offer at this point is don't go to Pattaya or Chaing Mai, they are not fluent english speakers and can't understand what being posted.

Can anyone offer some help on this one. I frankly don't know

Nov 14, 2006
Some clubs had a meeting in BKK last sat. I was in the middle of the Pacific Ocean then, but here is what my Thai friend says when asked what they discussed:

"It's obviously. No register vihicle can not be run in publication road.
Just invoice or make new number on the frame, illegal...
Invoice + tax (excise) = ok, but still can not be use in public road. You may use it as a race bike only in circuit..

The thing is, it is not everybody can pay this tax(excise), it must be the company who especially set up for this matter.

Then, you only can register when you already pay the tax(excise) and pass the TIS.

Anyhow, Thailand will use the higher standard in near future... that's mean it will be very difficult to pass this standard.
And it means the registration price will be much higher than today...

Luckily... yours and mine already registered, don't you think so...?"

A bit lost in translation i think, not sure what he ment with some bits.

Tom

Oct 17, 2006
tomdegerth wrote: Some clubs had a meeting in BKK last sat. I was in the middle of the Pacific Ocean then, but here is what my Thai friend says when asked what they discussed:

"It's obviously. No register vihicle can not be run in publication road.
Just invoice or make new number on the frame, illegal...
Invoice + tax (excise) = ok, but still can not be use in public road. You may use it as a race bike only in circuit..

The thing is, it is not everybody can pay this tax(excise), it must be the company who especially set up for this matter.

Then, you only can register when you already pay the tax(excise) and pass the TIS.

Anyhow, Thailand will use the higher standard in near future... that's mean it will be very difficult to pass this standard.
And it means the registration price will be much higher than today...

Luckily... yours and mine already registered, don't you think so...?"

A bit lost in translation i think, not sure what he ment with some bits.

Tom

Publication road = public roads
Import invoice and taxes paid = bike OK but cannot be ridden until you have book
Import tax on invoice can only be paid by the importing company

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
Well in the end I guess it gets down to if they want to enforce it or not, other then that it's business a usual So far nothing unusual in the Udon area. Guys are worried about. But, everything I have seen thus far indicates it's s cheaper to get the bike siezed and get the bike with a book then it is to buy a book here.

Me I want the book for peace of mind more then anything. It's enforced from time to time around here, a ticket and a 200 baht fine.

Everybody that I know has the import paperwork on their bikes showing the tax paid, just haven't coughed up up the big baht for the book.

In the announcement from Chaing Mai with the official speaking not one word about books, just import taxes.

So it's clearer book not completly yet.

One of the guys took his import paperwork to the local Motor vehicle place which they were happy with. Told him to take that and 12K to Bangkok and get a book. Actually made it sound very easy. That is not what I have seen about the proceedure posted on here, by guys who have actually done it.

anywhere I know of it's illegal to ue the roads wihtout paying the road taxes each year. But here thus far that means a ticket 200 baht fine not a siezure.

The lowest cost I have seen thus far for a book is 60K you can pay a lot of 200 Baht fines for that. You can still get insurance and it's honored.

So it's pretty easy to se the logic of not getting the book. So far I have not seen anyone in this area getting any better resale for having the book, just a quicker sale. Me I just like things legal and then I don't have to be concerned about it.

If it gets active here or at the bikes weeks I think these guys will move. They don't miss bike weeks :wink:

Dougal

Dec 18, 2007
Ray,

I believe we should look at this as something that maybe won't go away and slowly be enforced in all provinces. Whichever way 'legally' or 'fines'.

The options left for the guys with no registration is get it registered or risk having the bike impounded and paying up.

One more thing; this is becoming common knowledge around the Kingdom so just consider the difficulty someone will have trying to sell a bike now without a book.

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
I tend to agree with that thought and I have a book. After that it's up to the individual to decide to chance it or comply. I was trying to get information out to the guys here, many of which don't speak english well but are not Thai.

So the information was routed through a guy who could pass it on their native language. That has been accomplished the best I could.

So now it's really up to them.

Thanks

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
ray23 wrote: I tend to agree with that thought and I have a book. After that it's up to the individual to decide to chance it or comply. I was trying to get information out to the guys here, many of which don't speak english well but are not Thai.

So the information was routed through a guy who could pass it on their native language. That has been accomplished the best I could.

So now it's really up to them.

Thanks
I keep seeing phylisophical posts here about it being up to the individual to comply or not, etc. As I said in an earlier post COMPLY HOW?

If you already have a bike without invoice or plate, or you have a bike with a dodgy book, how are you going to make it right? Nothing but new bikes will pass the current emmisions testing for a legal import, there is no methodology that has been posted here about how or who to approach to properly book and plate an older import. Some keep saying " I heard from a friend...." or other hearsay. Who has actually done it?

Somebody please enlighten me if I am missing something, Simply stating in this forum over and over to comply, with no way of doing so, is not a solution. :?:

Oct 17, 2006
Siverhawk

the sad truth is the whole system is vague and random even when dealing with Bangkok, often the Thai officials dont know what the actual process should be.I have dealt with them for 7 years in business and now cant be bothered with it anymore.