Mixing tyres on a D-Tracker 250

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Sharktooth, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Sharktooth

Sharktooth Active Member

I wanna change out the slippy stocks for more of a 50/50 and am interested in the pirelli mt60 / mt60 rs corsa.

On the current stock set up I have 110/70-17 front and 130/70-17 rear. However... The corsa rear only comes in 160/60-17, but the front is ideal at 120/70-17.

The smallest mt60 is 19 on the front, so I was thinking, of the 140/80-17 on the rear.

this is gonna result in a mt60 rs corsa on the front and an mt60 on the rear.

Any input guys before I make the wrong choice??? Cheers

2. Loading...

3. KZ25

KZ25 Ol'Timer

The Tracker is a street bike, I would go for a set of top-drawer street tires. Or maybe some 90/10 street/dirt tires, there may be more choices for 17" rims there.
    I had the MT60s on my XR650L to make it more street-oriented and was very happy with them. But not even the MT90 is available for 17 inch rims in the front.
    Scorpion Trails are a better fit but still not the exact same sizes (120/70/17 TL and 130/80/17). That way you'd have the same tires front and rear but I would stick with the stock numbers, though.

4. Sharktooth

Sharktooth Active Member

Thanks for your input man, but as we all know unfortunately the Thai definition of 'street' can range from asphalt to a paddy field. Doing some of the local loops has caused a few slips and wobbles on these stocks. I just need a wee bit more grip when the surface goes to shit, but also something which will be ok on the road / street.

going back to the original question though, is my proposed mix such a bad idea?

5. muzza

muzza Active Member

the corsa is a radial tyre and the MT60 is a x ply so dont mix them in this way , this is actually illegal in some countries .

6. Sharktooth

Sharktooth Active Member

That'll be that then. Thanks man.