Mon Cham off the 1096 from Mea Rim - Recomended!

Discussion in 'Northern Thailand - Road Trip Reports' started by DaRider, Feb 12, 2012.

1. DaRider

DaRider Ol'Timer

Hello forum!

I just got a tip from this very friendly young café-owner about a newly opened place named Mon Cham off the 1096.

The place it self is located along the very top of a ridge with stunning near 360° views of the surroundings.
    From what i understand its part of a royal project, and is still under construction. However, the restaurant and café is open so you can have your stimulants of choice in a stilted bamboo hut hanging over the edge if you like. On the other side an "artistic garden" is taking shape with foot paths and some sculptures, and although its still under construction it all has that amazing "only in Thailand" feel to it.

The turn-off is on your right hand side, coming from Mae Rim, in the first village (Pong Yaeng?) about 4km's after the royal botanic garden. Its well signed from 1096 all the way up. Makes for a splendid ice-cream waffle brake before heading on around Samoeng, or one can easily spend a day up there just enjoying the mountains. I just visited myself for the first time yesterday, Saturday, and the place was absolutely packed, so if you like to avoid that i suppose a weekday would be a better option. Absolutely worth a visit!

Happy trails :)

2. Loading...

3. DavidFL

DavidFL Administrator Staff Member

The turn off is the Nong Hoi Royal Project road.
    Mon Cham is in Nong Hoi Mai village & is well signposted.
    Just follow the signs...
    After you turn off in Nong Hoi Mai village, the last 100 metres are steep stony gravel, that you may not like if you're on a road bike.

The Nong Hoi road

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The views

[​IMG]
    not so great now, but they are amazing at the right time of the year.

Mon Cham sits right on the ridgeline

[​IMG]

a novel use for old cars

[​IMG]

Mon Cham is worth checking out & is on a nice side loop from off R1096, the Mae Rim - Samoeng road.

See
    http://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum/showthread.php/35869-Chiang-Mai-Pang-Kwao-Nong-Hoi-Loop

http://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum/showthread.php/29950-Hmong-New-Year-Nong-Hoi-Mai-amp-Mae-Khi

for options on the Samoeng loop that take in Nong Hoi & Mae Khi.

4. DavidFL

On R1096, east of the Nong Hoi turn off, a new drink stop.
    The Post Bar

[​IMG]

a beautiful road side view

[​IMG]

& a perfect stop for a cooling soda

[​IMG]
    check it out sometime.

5. Johpa

Johpa Ol'Timer

If you want to avoid that last section there is another spot, Mon In Dao, going on up past the turn to Mon Chaem, and on the left side just past the sala next to the radio towers at the top of the primary road. Look for the tents as it is also a Thai style camp spot. Less expensive than Mon Chaem, it has a great view looking back west over Nong Hoi. Best in late afternoons with a setting sun.

6. DavidFL