More Rain Warnings.........

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
It could get pretty wet in the North and Laos over the next few days...............

Warning
"Tropical Storm Mindulle"
No. 1 Time Issued : August 23, 2010
At 1000 a.m. tropical depression over the middle South China Sea was upgraded to tropical storm Mindulle, centered about 300 km east of Danang, Vietnam or latitude 16.0 oN longitude 111.0 oE with maximum sustained wind of 65 km/hr. This storm is moving west-northwest about 18 km/hr. It is expected to move to upper Coastal Vietnam during 24-25 August 2010, causing the monsoon trough over northern and northeastern Thailand is intensifying. Torrential rain with isolated heavy falls is over the country. People in disaster areas along hill slope and near waterways are warned of possible flash flood during the period. This severe condition is in effect for northern, northeastern and eastern Thailand.

The advisory is in effect for Thailand from 23 August 2010

Issued at 11.30 a.m.

Oct 12, 2005
Joy. Just gonna be heading out for a few days on the bike to get back into it. So what are the chances of clear and sunny :p ?

it seems everything I do lately sounds a bit of a daft idea.

Rhodie

Mar 5, 2006
It's certainly looking a little moist out there
via Thai Visa

North, Northeast and East warned to brace for tropical storm

BANGKOK (NNT) -- The Meteorological Department has warned the public in the Northern, Northeast and Eastern regions to watch out for flash floods caused by tropical storm Mindulle.

At least twenty jewelery and souvenir shops as well as tourist attractions in Wieng Pa Pao district, Chiang Rai province have been damaged by flash floods from Doi Nang Kaew and Lao River. Reportedly, more than 500 homes have also been damaged by water breaching the river banks; hundreds and hundreds of rai of agricultural land have been inundated.

Meanwhile, in Phitsanulok province, torrential rain has caused the Naan River to overflow, forcing those who live on the more than 100 raft-boats to loosen the ropes tying the rafts, in order to avoid damage from the rapidly rising water level that could pull down and sink the boats if they are fastened to the river banks.

Mae Hong Son provincial governor Kamtorn Thawornsatit has warned people residing in danger-prone areas to brace for flash floods and mudslides. In related news, the districts of Muang, Pangma Pa and Pae have also been hit by mudslides, a consequence of days of heavy rain.

This is the second time the Meteorological Department has issued a warning to the public residing in various risk-prone areas such as those residing on the hillsides to take extra precaution against flash floods during the rainy season.

-- NNT 2010-08-24

Auke

Nov 10, 2003
Got a message from Ray in Udon Thani yesterday evening and he mentioned that it was bucketing down over there.

Auke

Nov 10, 2003
This is from the Thai Meteorological Department:

Warning
"Tropical Storm Mindulle"
No. 9 (99/2553) Time Issued : August 25, 2010
At 10.00 a.m. today, tropical depression “Mindulle” in Laos, PDR was centered about 200 km east of Nan or latitude 19.0 oN longitude 103.0 oE with maximum sustained wind of 50 km/hr, and moves west-northwest about 15 km/hr. It is expected to downgrade to low pressure cell and covering northern Thailand tonight (25 August 2010). Torrential rain with heavy falls many places over upper Thailand. People along hill slope and waterways of the North, Northeast are warned of possible flash flood during period.

Auke

Nov 10, 2003
This is also from Thai Visa:

I just drove through the center of town (Chiangrai) at 2:00-2:20pm from Macro to the old CM Highway 1211. There are many streets flooded and passable only with a high center vehicle. The vocational school is swamped with hundreds of motorbike engines under water. Best be very careful with any plans or children traveling home in this one!

For pictures see here:
http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/393 ... -mindulle/

Oct 9, 2010
hi guys, need some info about the raining season in the north. Actually, a group my friend will be riding up north to chiang mai from Malaysia on 16th Oct. they will be in CM on 19th.

Route:
Malaysia - Hatyai - Hua Hin - Tak - Chiang Mai - Golden Triangle - Mae Sot - Fang - Pai - MHS -MS - Mae Sot - Kanchanaburi -> back south.

Thanks.

Nov 7, 2007
nolanyusof wrote: hi guys, need some info about the raining season in the north. Actually, a group my friend will be riding up north to chiang mai from Malaysia on 16th Oct. they will be in CM on 19th.

Route:
Malaysia - Hatyai - Hua Hin - Tak - Chiang Mai - Golden Triangle - Mae Sot - Fang - Pai - MHS -MS - Mae Sot - Kanchanaburi -> back south.

Thanks.
Sounds like a great trip :)

As for rain in Chiang Mai, Pai, MHS it should be fine, we are nearing the end of the rainy season. In the last 2 weeks it's rained maybe once every couple of days. Chiang Mai. It's a bit wet but haven't seen a real tropical downpour for a week or so. I am currently in Pai, no rain the last 3 - 4 days. Light splashing yesterday but it was really just a few drops.

The east (Isaan) I hear it's been raining non-stop for the past 2 weeks though, and it's still raining.

Oct 9, 2010
Thanks bro, it the great news then.

Myself plan to ride there in mid Dec. It's going to be my 3rd visit to that area.