MotoGP @ Laguna

Discussion in 'Global Trip Reports' started by feejer, Jul 5, 2009.

1. feejer

feejer Ol'Timer

Thought you guys might have interest in some pix from Laguna today.
    We rode over this morning (July 4th) to check out the qualifying runs and then hit the Cannery Row street party afterwards in Monterey. The weather conditions were perfect at about 22C and the traffic situation was much improved from my last visit here in 2005. They now have separate entrance for bikes vs. autos and that makes all the difference. Plus I now live only 45 minutes from the track for added convenience.

Perfect conditions (Turn 2)

[​IMG]

Yamaha went all out and had the biggest display area followed closely by Ducati on their "island". It was nice because they brought in real grass turf and wood mulch/bark to keep the dust down and made it a bit of a park setting.

[​IMG]

Had some stunt guys doing their thing. We got there too late to see the motocross stunt team :(

[​IMG]

Yamaha had this weird 4 wheel hybrid thing called the Tesseract

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got to sit on the Dr's M1 for a photo op

[​IMG]

Even Marilyn had to give it a go.

[​IMG]

The hometown boys fan club. It is July 4th after all.

[​IMG]

The famous downhill "corkscrew"

[​IMG]

And here they come

[​IMG]

Rossi knee on the stripes

[​IMG]

Stoner on the gas

[​IMG]

Colin taking the inside groove behind Elias

[​IMG]

Rossi looking good here behind Edwards

[​IMG]

Hayden and Capirossi

[​IMG]

Then we made the 20 minute ride over to Cannery Row and the whole street was shutdown and filled with bikes. Good times and we'll be back tomorrow after the race. More pix then.

[​IMG]

Some ladies sitting on their bikes enjoying the scene

[​IMG]

Predictions for tomorrow? As you know by now, Lorenzo and Stoner both highsided and Lorenzo is hurt. If Rossi has a bad day, then Stoner should have it wrapped up this time.

Wildcard? I think the old man Edwards may have a shot. He seemed very smooth today and looked better than his 7th position would suggest. We'll see.

2. Loading...

3. Marco

Marco Ol'Timer

Feejer

Nice stuff and so clear pictures, thanx for sharing.

looking forwad the race,,but have to watch highlights as it comes so early in the morning here.

4. feejer

feejer Ol'Timer

Thanks Marco,

It was enjoyable this time. Not so many people as I think many were away for the holiday (good). I hope they do it this way every year. Weather again was perfect although a bit warmer on race day.

Aussie (6 time Superbike Champion) Matt Mladin and the Suzuki Factory team on grunt poster signing duty.

[​IMG]

Ben Bostrom and the Yamaha team doing the same.

[​IMG]

Marilyn asking me to buy her a V-Max. Ha. Ha, very funny.

[​IMG]

Had the new BMW there

[​IMG]

Should have been able to conceal that big catalyst a bit better. Doesn't look too good and will look worse once oxidized. Oh well, I guess thats what aftermarket pipes and ceramic coating is for.

[​IMG]

Corona girls showing it off

[​IMG]

Started off with 4 F-16 flyover

[​IMG]

Then they are just rolling off the grid

[​IMG]

And here they come full throttle (and 130 decibels) around turn 1

[​IMG]

Rossi and Stoner taking the same line around turn 2

[​IMG]

Rossi and stoner again with Lorenzo just behind

[​IMG]

Your winner Pedrosa on approach to turn 2

[​IMG]

And in full tilt

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He was flawless all day and Rossi just couldn't make a move. Tried on the last turn to make it a dragrace to the finish but no. Great race.

And then back to the trusty (and dusty) steed for the ride home.

[​IMG]

5. Marco

Marco Ol'Timer

Feejer

Nice on and it's so amazing how they can keep thos bikes upright when tilting that much,,,

btw,, my beemer,still open, take so long time to get parts from germany,,maybe next time i order via you,, would get them with in 7days..LOL

6. SilverhawkUSA

SilverhawkUSA Ol'Timer

Yeah, very nice photos and report. Some of your shots really give you an appreciation of the lean angle of these bikes. Amazing! :shock:

Oh, and remind me not to use your predictions for placing my bets. :lol:

7. Pikey

Pikey Ol'Timer

Great pics Feejer and it looks like there is great access for photos there or else you scored yourself some kind of press pass. 8)

Saw the reply last night and although the TV commentator reckoned Pedrosa was easing off, I reckon The Doctor may well have had him given another lap!

Certainly shaping up to being a close run season - bring it on!!!

Cheers,

Pikey.

8. feejer

feejer Ol'Timer

Marco,

If you need parts for your LT, call or email the Wild Hair.
    http://www.whaccessories.com/Wild%20Hair%20Main.htm

His main thing is accessories, but he has good contacts in Germany and can get parts and pretty quick too. I bought alot of German-made carbon fiber parts for my FJR and very good quality.

9. feejer

feejer Ol'Timer

Yep, those guys use 110% of the tires don't they? IMO, Stoner was hobbled by the tune of this bike. It was like they had tuned it for much warmer conditions and he was way lean.

Hard to believe that could be the case since they have telemetry but it did not sound right at all compared to the leaders. Missing and raspy like it was starving for fuel.

10. feejer

feejer Ol'Timer

Nope, no press pass. That's the nice thing about Laguna, its a mountainous circuit so lots of good viewpoints. If you have a decent lens, you can get right in there.

11. DavidFL

DavidFL Administrator Staff Member

feejer
    Thanks for the photos & positive contribution.
    Keep up the good work.

12. Rustic Charm

Rustic Charm Ol'Timer

Nice report. Shame we don't get many Thai girls riding big bikes. The only one I've seen is Anisa on her Ducati 696.