motorcycle rental in Pattaya

Sergey

Jan 16, 2008
Dear friends, sorry for stupid question and bad english.
In february my friends with me will go to Pattaya. It will be the first time.
We are going to train at bira circuit and to make some trips around Thailand. Which bike rental office do you recommend? we are looking for enduro like africa twin or transalp or, may be, street bikes.
Whether it is possible to cross Laos or Cambodia border on rented motorcycle?
Many thanks for reply

E3L0

Sep 17, 2006
Hi Sergey,

I have rented streetbikes a few times and it has been a minefield. The best bikes seem to be at the place on 13/4. I used them twice, one day at a time, at 1,000B a day and they took my passport as a deposit. I had a 600RR first time then a CB13.

I thought I was building a working relationship with them. I went back when my mate was over to rent one for a week and a younger guy (the son?) was running it and was a total dick. 2700B/day! Told him to stuff it and went somewhere else.

The CB13 I ended up with was cheaper (700B) but older and the first one he gave me had a perished front tyre. I was quite glad and relieved when the week was over and I handed the bike back.

There are fewer big trailies around but you do see some. I haven't rented any.

Lots of the bikes are on red number plates and the owners don't like you taking them out of the province, let alone the country.

Dave

Sergey

Jan 16, 2008
Thank you for reply, Dave
What does it mean "place on 13/4"?
Rented bikes has red numbers?

E3L0

Sep 17, 2006
Sois (streets) in Pattaya are numbered, 13/4 is the last one going along the sea road before you get to the walking street. The walking street is where the nightlife is. You will find it easily.

Number plates are usually white. A red one (or green or, I think, blue) has a different legal status. It is nothing to do with whether it is rented.

Dave

Oct 17, 2006
Red plate means the bike has no registration , cannot be used outside of registered province or at night and is awaitng inspection. Many red plates are copies as not many are issued to dealers so the renters make illegal copies.

Insurance policies issued by most renters are worthless.

and many off the bikes are poorly maintained .... so be careful

E3L0

Sep 17, 2006
That is correct... but you will be lucky if the tyres make it that far.

Somebody said that the Bangkok shop 'Red Baron' will sometimes rent a bike. If that is the case, you will get a much better bike from them.

Sergey

Jan 16, 2008
Thanks for instruction. We shall rent about 8-10 bikes, is it possible?
Which papers are needed to ride across whole country? In Russia it is registration passport of vehicle, third party insurance and, so called, technical admission

cdrw

Oct 6, 2006
Sergy wrote...'Whether it is possible to cross Laos or Cambodia border on rented motorcycle? '

You will not be able to leave Thailand on a rental bike.
You need your passport when leaving the country...and the rental agency keeps it as security that the bike will be returned. Further, when crossing a border, you'd also need to be the bike's owner and bring it's registration with you.

If you do visit Laos or Cambodia...simply rent a bike there.

Sergey

Jan 16, 2008
cdrw wrote:
You need your passport when leaving the country...and the rental agency keeps it as security that the bike will be returned.
Further, when crossing a border, you'd also need to be the bike's owner and bring it's registration with you.
It is no problem to leave old passport to agency, but to be bike's owner is impossible:(