my Ktech 996 fork upgrade on S4

Oct 17, 2006
my Ktech 996 fork upgrade on S4
well finally got the Ktech 996 forks to thailand and fitted to the S4 , a lot faffing around with lower yoke shims 0.5mm and the tope yoke Capo supplied was for fat bars so i had to make shims to fit my 7/8 bars as fat bars are stupidly expensive in Thailand and would foul the stanchions anyway as the 996 SHOWASforks are 10mm longer than S4 Showas .

well been avidly testing the bike this week over 200 miles so far and things are a massive improvement on the old setup.

The New forks came from a 996 off Ebay for £120 and were sent away for Ktech revalves, overhaul and 8.5 spring set for my weight , all in i spent about £ 600.

ORIGONAL S4 SHOWAS ARE NOT WORTH SPENDING MONEY ON AS THEY HAVE A DESIGN FAULT !

first i have noticed a big improvement in stability on corners and straights ,much more precise control , i have changed a few settings on rebound and compression they are now set at 6 clocks compression and 8 clicks rebound , sag is 20mm but preload is minimal on 7 lines visible i still think the forks are a little hard and could be plusher on the bumpy bits but the airgap was set by ktech at 120mm as a starting point and i will remove some oil as i want it a bit softer maybe 130mm or even 140mm airgap using 5w oil.

i have upped the rear ohlins compression 2 clicks as well bike feels very balanced now .

was it all worth it , am i happy .....definitely ......but the quest for perfection goes on