Need Advice, What Dirt Bike To Buy?

Discussion in 'General Discussion / News / Information' started by Goran Phuket, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Goran Phuket

Goran Phuket Ol'Timer Staff Member

Time has come for me to venture into this riding segment.
    I know absolutely nothing about dirt bikes: what is the most suitable one, pros and cons, specs etc?
    KLX and CRF are mentioned most of the time so I am assuming one of these 2?

What is the cost, new and used?

2. Loading...

3. canthai

canthai Ol'Timer

Added a CRF to my stable in Dec. 145,000 from Nat motors CNX. Before I bought this model, I asked around. Specifically here on this forum as many of the guys ride a lot off road. Consensus I got - if you ride mainly dirt, get the KLX. If you ride mainly street - CRF. Altho' both are able to be modified to be better in the dirt. Money no object - Husqvarna. But pricy.
    Husqvarana Motorcycles Thailand

Goran Phuket likes this.
  4. Goran Phuket

Thanks canthai.
    I need the bike exclusively for dirt rides.
    I am not seasoned off-road rider so Husky would be too much for me. Looks like KLX is the right choice?

5. canthai

canthai Ol'Timer

Brian BKK - and Oddvar - active on this Forum - have lots of experience. Here and in Laos and Cambodia also. If you are unsure, send them a PM. I do not know them personally, but judging by their posts they seems both reasonable, helpful, and knowledgeable.

Goran Phuket likes this.
  6. Ceeslee

Ceeslee Member

I totally agree with Canthai I drove the CRF 1 year and sold it because I do more and more dirt
    Now I have the KLX (also 1 year) the bike is (much) lighter and therefore easier to handle.
    The CRF has better brakes and feels comfortable right from the start.
    The KLX takes a little longer to get used to, but for me the KLX is the best choice.

Goran Phuket likes this.
  7. brian_bkk

brian_bkk Ol'Timer Staff Member

Get the klx and big bore 300 cc. Then add ohlins suspension. You can order a bigger spring for our big farang bums. After market exhaust will lighten the load too.. ditch the 50 50 tyres. Replace the stock handlebars as they bend easy.. Best to buy low km klx for say 80k baht then spend 30 k or more making it right for you and you don't void the warranty of a new bike.

Cheers
    Brian

Alamo and Goran Phuket like this.
  8. harrythefinn

harrythefinn Ol'Timer

Just a personal opinion , that it is a progression as you learn. Start with a cheap bike that won't break the bank, work out your strengths and weaknesses and how it ties with the bike. Then ask, do you want better suspension to ride how you want ? Do you need more power ? Do you need a longer range ? Do you want better handling? Do you really want a dirt bike?
    As you ride more and experience more dirt , try other peoples bikes and improve your skill THEN you will know what is a good bike for you. I think very few people would have bought their first and only dirt bike at the first step and never wanted anything different. Once again , just saying that this is a personal opinion and everyone is welcome to do it as they like, as no two riders are the same.

Goran Phuket likes this.
  9. Oddvar

Oddvar Ol'Timer

Don't go over the top. Buy a second hand KLX or CRF. Play around with sprockets to you find your liking. And get proper riding gear.
    Happy riding.

Goran Phuket likes this.
  10. Goran Phuket

Appreciate the advice from all of you, thanks a lot.
    I think I will go for used KLX.

11. canthai

canthai Ol'Timer

+1 on the gear - very important. As I learned the hard way when I was coming up. No gear available, and I learned to ride the hard way. Crash - Ouch - Don't do That ! Repeat. Broke a good few things on my bike too. My first bike - 1968 Kawa 90.jpg

12. brian_bkk

brian_bkk Ol'Timer Staff Member

I would do the big bore 300. You are a big guy.. stock these things are gutless.. like a sowing machine. Not expensive either. 300 big bore is kawa oem parts except for the ecu. Have to use ejk or api. Trust me on this one. You want to do long day rides not just playing around in the bush on a Sunday..

Also Jim is riding my klx 300 this weekend. He noticed a huge difference with the ohlins compared to his stock klx suspension.. said mine was OK to ride.. he doesn't like his klx.. his weight is 130 kg

As a start just do the rear shock and see how. Mike did that then went for the front. Chris at moto Lao and Mike swear or is a bike transformation. As I do

Sorry just want to emphasise my point on these mods

Goran Phuket likes this.
  13. Lakota

Lakota Ol'Timer

I have KLX250 with Ohlins Suspension. Big improvement over stock. I still think theres very very little in it . KLX V's CRF. These are both dual sport and a bit of a compromise.
    New CRF has been released with a bit more power , I understand it could be a couple of inches lower. I would probably go CRF next time.
    If I had the money I'd be looking into a much lighter Bike, Maybe the Husky although I haven't even checked the specs as it's too expensive for me

14. Alamo

Alamo Ol'Timer

15. Alamo

Alamo Ol'Timer

/////////////
    As a newcomer to dirt riding :
    Exactly what is the [objective] advantage of the improved suspension mods,
    front,
    rear.??
    Haven't ridden enough to know.
    Thanks