New ER 6 for 2012

Oct 17, 2006
UK now getting deliveries of improved ER6 better frame and suspension and more power , new styling too

Dec 27, 2007
monsterman;272843 wrote: UK now getting deliveries of improved ER6 better frame and suspension and more power , new styling too

It's mostly a cosmetic make-over. The 2012 model sports a new frame, same BASIC suspension (but "returned" whatever that means) and same power as the old model and a bit more torque. BUT it got 10 pounds heavier...

For me the added weight and failure to address the weak suspension of the current model are quite disappointing.

Official vid (better watched with no sound IMO) ;)

FrankT

Sep 10, 2010
Hi Tony,

What kind of upgrades woudl you suggest for the present ER6 suspension? I am not looking for a harder suspension but somethinbg which would make the bike more nimble and easier to steer.
Pleased to hear.

Rgds

Frank

Dec 27, 2007
FrankT;272860 wrote: Hi Tony,

What kind of upgrades woudl you suggest for the present ER6 suspension? I am not looking for a harder suspension but somethinbg which would make the bike more nimble and easier to steer.
Pleased to hear.

Rgds

Frank

The continuing lack of adjustability of the stock suspension on the ER6n / Ninja 650R is a bit disappointing. I know it's Kawasaki's budget bike, but surely adding pre-load and damping to the forks wouldn't add much to the overall cost.

There is no such thing as a "one size fits all" suspension set-up, yet that's what Kawasaki gives you with the non adjustable forks on these bikes. I'm lucky in that the stock springs suit my weight but heavier riders often complain of how soft the forks are on the EX650. Interesting to note that the springs in the ER6n are lighter than the springs in the Ninja 650R.

An easy way to improve the agility of the EX650 is to drop the front (or raise the rear) to sharpen the rake. Dropping the front is very easy to do- just loosen the bolts in the upper and lower clamps and drop the bike as much as you like. Don't drop to far or she can become unstable though. Best to make incremental adjustments until you find what works for you.

Stock-
IMG_2253SSR.jpg

Dropped-
IMG_2254SSR.jpg

Measured-
IMG_2255SSR.jpg

Clipped-
IMG_2258SSR.jpg

Ready to roll!
IMG_2259SSR.jpg

To raise the rear of my ER6n I installed a YSS Versys height adjustable shock:
KLE650EX650YSSShocksSSR.jpg

(It's the one on the left, in case you're wondering)
wink.gif

It gave me an added inch of travel at lowest (shortest) setting:
ER6nSwingarmTravelER6nShockSSR.jpg

ER6n shock above, Versys shock at shortest setting below-
ER6nSwingarmTravelVersysShockSSR.jpg

I've been quite happy with this shock. It's a lot cheaper than most aftermarket shocks but seems well made. There's a rumor that YSS used to supply parts to Ohlins, but I'm not sure if that's actually true or not. The YSS, with a progressive spring, stepless pre-load and damping adjustment it's certainly a big improvement over stock.

Ride On!

Tony
226718_1872655968631_1008117020_31759499_4613439_n.jpg