New user

Discussion in 'General Discussion / News / Information' started by Champasak, Feb 1, 2003.

1. Champasak

Champasak Ol'Timer

New user
    « on: Oct 8th, 2002, 9:48am » Quote Modify Remove

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi everyone! First up you will have to bear with me untill I get the hang of using this type of medium. As I am new here I suppose I had better cough up a bit of info about me other than what's in the profile. For the last 3 yrs I (and a mate called Warren or Morph for short) have been regular travellers to Thailand (six monthly excursions) and more recently (18 months ago) I meet a Thai girl back here in Auckland whom I have ended up getting hitched to. Her name is Nui and she is from Mae Tha (about 25k south of Lamphun) where her immediate family have an ice factory and the balance of the village (including 2 of the local coppers being her cousins) seem in some way related. Anyway the main reason for this is to try and meet some like minded folk who like to have a good fang on a bike. I am currently the owner of a 2000 model Aprilia RSV Mille and I would just love to have this bike in Thailand where I would like to think that I would keep my licence for more than 9 months out of every year. I have only just discovered the sites for here and Thaisuperbike. I am at the moment trying to create some time within the next week or 2 to get up to thailand as the family are having a few power surge and phase dropping problems with the new ice maker. After this If even only for a few days I can hire a reasonably late model low km or untrashed bike (V twin would be nice but I won't hold my breath) so I can try some of the roads that have been recommended here. Or if anyone just wants to sit back have a beer and crack a chat I have a million questions that a "resident" (if that's the right term) would hopefully be able to answer. Well must go now and maybe I'll hear from someone soon.

Cheers
    Reece_Pearce

2. Loading...

3. Champasak

Champasak Ol'Timer

Re: New user
    « Reply #1 on: Oct 8th, 2002, 1:38pm » Quote Modify Remove

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Reece a quick fang and a beer sounds alright to me mate. Catch you at either the Kafe on Moon Muang Road or Joes Bike Team Friday night for the boys BBQ.
    Might be able to tee up a Duke for you in Cnx if you be nice, otherwise there's a Yam TDM 850 for rent, which should be more than adequate in the endless twisties. Drop me a line when you are next due in town.
    « Last Edit: Oct 9th, 2002, 1:44pm by Davidfl » 208.147.1.2

Davidfl

4. Champasak

Champasak Ol'Timer

« Reply #2 on: Oct 10th, 2002, 9:54am » Quote Modify Remove

Hi, Just a quick note to say that I will take you up on the offers and as soon as I know when I will be in Chang Mai (hopefully starting with a few days in BKK) possibly next week.

Have fun at the MotoGP all those that are going.

Reece

5. Champasak

Champasak Ol'Timer

« Reply #3 on: Oct 23rd, 2002, 6:58am » Quote Modify Remove

Hi David I am in them north now at a place called Mae Tha ph 053 549061 This is the local ice factory (wife and family) if you ask for me (Reece) I should be able to get to the phone. If not please can you let me knnow your number (can send to [email email=auckland@rentalcars.co.nz]auckland@rentalcars.co.nz[/email]) have brought work with me and I hope to be able to catch up with you soon.

Regards
    Reece

6. Champasak

Champasak Ol'Timer

« Reply #4 on: Oct 26th, 2002, 10:09am » Quote Modify Remove

David, I am heading away in the morn (have tdm 850) to go the long loop to Mae Hong Son. Is there a internet shop there. I have the email address of [email email=farncarn@yahoo.com]farncarn@yahoo.com[/email] and the name there is Fred Gassit. Maybee catch you in Mae Sai even I plan to be tiki touring around until about the 29th when I will be back in town. By the way Mr Lek from the bike shop was ok as well. I ordered the Aprilia Haga replica today so if there is anyone outthere that want to buy my other bike I have a 2000 RSV Mille done 25k in red and blue for sale for NZ$21,000.00 or near offer.
    Cheers Reece Mobile NZ 021 701 570 or Th 06 187 87703

7. Champasak

Champasak Ol'Timer

« Reply #5 on: Oct 26th, 2002, 12:27pm » Quote Modify Remove

Reece the internet shop I use in MHS is next to JiJis restaurant in the main street, opposite the main hotel The Baiyoke Chalet.

My tips for MHS are
    1. Stay at Piya Ghouse
    2. Eat at either JiJis - dirt cheap, huge servings tasty Thai food, home style cooking. Or at the Fern, wonderful food & atmosphere, but for me somewhat over rated - too popular.
    3. "Happy Hour" / dusk try Lakeside Pub by the Lake.
    4. Pub restaurants with music try either Mom Sabai, opposite Rooks Holiday Hotel, or Rong Tiam, at the far end of the new road alongside the Rooks.

In Soppong stay at either
    Little Eden or Soppong River Inn
    Eat at 354 Restaurant.

In Pai
    1. Stay at Ban Sabai, 250 baht night. (Say hello to Nong for me.)
    2. Breakfast at Pai Corner Bar.
    3. Be Bop pub for music. (Say hello to Chart for me.)
    4. Ban Pai for happy hour & snacks. (Say hello to Pookie for me.)
    5. Very late night drop by the Golden Triangle bar. (Say hello to whatshername, (Oy?) the sexy female owner, I cant remember her name I was so drunk last time, but she'll remember the farang from Cnx on the Africa Twin alright.)

Enjoy the MHS loop. I hope you have a copy of my MHS map. I'm still doing the visa run as planned. Too bad the missus draged you into the MHS loop, you should be out riding with the boys to Mae Sai?

Catch you next week in Cnx.

« Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2002, 8:02am by Davidfl » 208.147.1.3

Davidfl

8. Champasak

Champasak Ol'Timer

« Reply #6 on: Nov 26th, 2002, 11:55am » Quote Modify Remove

Hi David, Just a quick note to thank you for the superb info you supplied for my trip to Mae Hong Son (espically the tip for the guesthouse named Little Eden at Sop Pong) the swimming pool after a big ride was a real treat, I actually took advantage of the pool even before check in. Also the ride and the little side road you took us on, on the way to Doi Inthernon was awesome. I will post a full message once I get a moment (a large one as telling people as to all the top info you supplied, including the red wine, will take a while). I hope to see you again early to mid next year for a good recce and then late in the year with a group tour.

Again thank you for all the great info and keep an eye here for a full story.

Regards
    Reece Pearce