Mar 31, 2011
Hi All

New to the forum but have been in and out of Thailand for quite a while but only moved here permanently, recently.
FJR and Fazer's have been my rides in the past 8 years and looking to buy something here soon. Any late model FJR's out there for sale??
Enjoyed the posts on the new Versys and that's why I decided to join the forum - looking to rent one soon to see if it suits me - FJR might be too much for me to handle on Thai roads/ in traffic

Best ride to date - Nong Kai west along the Mekong river border to Petchabun
Worst - River Kwai to Ayuttha
Next - a 125cc from Chiang Mai to Pai :)

feejer

Feb 16, 2007
I also still own an FJR and FZ1 here in the states. And based on my experience in the GT, an FJR would of course be awesome for the slabs and the big sweepers , but certainly not the best for the MHS loop and the like. When I was there, it killed me not to be on my FZ1 and having to tolerate the Super Four anemia (not many Versys yet back then).

As I'm sure many will attest, you do not need literbike power to enjoy the GT, but if that is what you are used to, you may have a hard time with the smaller stuff. If I ever find myself over there long-term, I will either be shipping my FZ1 there or buying one local. If John Gooding still has his for sale, that was a super clean, all stock bike you should consider. If I was there, I would have snapped it right up.

Mar 31, 2011
Thanks Feejer
I agree with your comments- I drove a car around the GT and the Pai Rd a few months ago and the FJR is not the bike (for me) for that type of riding even with no traffic.
Might rent a Versys for a week and see how I like it - the other guys on this forum are giving it the thumbs up

feejer

Feb 16, 2007
Yeah, I looked at and test rode the Versys but I can't understand Kawi's marketing strategy. I mean that bike is almost identical to the ER-6N except for a bit more suspension travel and .9 gallons more fuel capacity. But in the states, the ER-6N is $1000 less at $6699 MSRP. I guess an extra 50-60Km range would be nice, but not $1000 nicer in my opinion.

Nov 21, 2010
Well the V is a little bit more as "almost identical"

1. Different riding position (and imo better)
2. Different engine charistics (and imo better)
3. Bigger tank (but still a bit shitty mileges)
4. Higher engine height (although I lowerd mine so that is wasted at my bike)

Chang Noi

Mar 31, 2011
Thanks Feejer and Changnoi1
I was thinking on the same lines s Changnoi1 as to why a V would be safer and better for Thai riding
ER-N6 does not appeal to me as a bike I would ride to the shop on let alone long distance on roads I don't know
Most important (past, bad experince with "non standard" cars in Thailand) at least if a V has problems your chances of spares and a professional repair is better than say a FJR in Chonburi or Nong Kai

feejer

Feb 16, 2007
Khun custard;266853 wrote: Thanks Feejer and Changnoi1
I was thinking on the same lines s Changnoi1 as to why a V would be safer and better for Thai riding
ER-N6 does not appeal to me as a bike I would ride to the shop on let alone long distance on roads I don't know
Most important (past, bad experince with "non standard" cars in Thailand) at least if a V has problems your chances of spares and a professional repair is better than say a FJR in Chonburi or Nong Kai
Interesting. I have ridden both the ER-6N and the Versys and did not find them to be much different. Certainly not $1000 different. But I am only 5'-9", so maybe you guys are taller and the Versys ergos suit you better. Whatever works!

Dec 27, 2007
feejer;266930 wrote: Interesting. I have ridden both the ER-6N and the Versys and did not find them to be much different. Certainly not $1000 different. But I am only 5'-9", so maybe you guys are taller and the Versys ergos suit you better. Whatever works!

The V enjoys much higher spec suspension with inverted forks that are adjustable for pre-load and damping and a stronger, lighter more rigid Aluminum swing arm with a shock that is adjustable for pre-load and damping. That alone more than justifies the price difference because if you wanted to upgrade an ER6n's suspension to Versys spec it will cost you a LOT more than $1000. The larger tank and much more comfortable seat are the other things I enjoy about the V. The lower gearing of the V is fun, but I miss the top end of the EX650.
BTW, the US version of the ER6n features lower spec FI than the Euro version we get here in Thailand.
Ride On!
Tony
KhaoKho39.jpg

Sep 4, 2007
feejer;266755 wrote: If I ever find myself over there long-term, I will either be shipping my FZ1 there or buying one local. If John Gooding still has his for sale, that was a super clean, all stock bike you should consider. If I was there, I would have snapped it right up.
Complicated story with the FZ1, swapped it for a short while with a mates R1, but after a few weeks he decided he wanted it back as he had a buyer for it. I do not understand why but after riding the R1, I enjoy the FZ1 even more, being an R1 derived engine,m it has a lot of power and over a long journey , the power seems a lot more usable on the FZ1 than the R1, it is definately more comfortable for in town work and with the windscreen, its easier to sustain higher speeds over a distance, so I still have the FZ1, just changed the chain and sprockets which has instantly improved the feel of the bike. Funny how these things, same as tyres, deteriorate slowly and almost unoticed, but when they are changed the improvement is dramatic. So I am keeping the FZ1 for now, along with 3 other bikes and a PCX, but should someone be interested in the FZ1, I would be happy to talk with them.

feejer

Feb 16, 2007
johngooding;266941 wrote: Complicated story with the FZ1, swapped it for a short while with a mates R1, but after a few weeks he decided he wanted it back as he had a buyer for it. I do not understand why but after riding the R1, I enjoy the FZ1 even more, being an R1 derived engine,m it has a lot of power and over a long journey , the power seems a lot more usable on the FZ1 than the R1, it is definately more comfortable for in town work and with the windscreen, its easier to sustain higher speeds over a distance, so I still have the FZ1, just changed the chain and sprockets which has instantly improved the feel of the bike. Funny how these things, same as tyres, deteriorate slowly and almost unoticed, but when they are changed the improvement is dramatic. So I am keeping the FZ1 for now, along with 3 other bikes and a PCX, but should someone be interested in the FZ1, I would be happy to talk with them.

Yep, that lower sprocket gearing makes a big difference. Pretty amazing Yamaha ships it capable of 120 KPH in 1st gear. I guess to keep newbs from flipping it the first time they crack the throttle open. But I couldn't be happier with mine now, but it took some doing to get it where it is.

Pretty much stripped all the smog bits off and added the full Yoshimura R77 system, smaller sub-throttle plates, fuel cut eliminator, power commander, and 16 tooth sprocket. Now putting down 150 RWHP/78 TQ or close to prior gen R1 output with great all-day comfort. The poor FJR only gets to play when the wife wants to get away for the weekend. She got on the FZ1 once and that was the end of that :)

feejer

Feb 16, 2007
TonyBKK;266932 wrote: The V enjoys much higher spec suspension with inverted forks that are adjustable for pre-load and damping and a stronger, lighter more rigid Aluminum swing arm with a shock that is adjustable for pre-load and damping. That alone more than justifies the price difference because if you wanted to upgrade an ER6n's suspension to Versys spec it will cost you a LOT more than $1000. The larger tank and much more comfortable seat are the other things I enjoy about the V. The lower gearing of the V is fun, but I miss the top end of the EX650.
BTW, the US version of the ER6n features lower spec FI than the Euro version we get here in Thailand.
Ride On!
Tony
KhaoKho39.jpg

All true. But I only rode each for about 10 minutes during a demo at the bike show last year. I was interested in them not so much as a pure road bike as I already have FJR and FZ1, but kind of like a cheap, 80%on/20%off road deal by fitting some dual sport tires on it. That way I would have a real low seated, light little thrash around bike that was decent on road with some power, but could do some mild off pavement if needed as well. You can get the ER-6N here for about $6000US out the door, so at that price its almost disposable and I could beat the snot out of it without caring too much. Just never really cared for the full-on enduros.