Northeast Laos - 2. Sam Nuea and a Winding Drive Back

Jurgen

Subscribed
Oct 23, 2009
www.chopard.org
Excerpt: Vieng Xai’s caves, the former Pathet Lao hide, were my Sam Nuea’s loop apex.
After my visit, I took the mountainous way back, over Vieng Thong, Nong Khiew and Luang Namtha. A great ride for forest and curves lovers.

Northeast Laos – Sam Nuea loop

Part 2 – Sam Nuea and a Winding Drive Back

First part – Luang Prabang and mountain roads:
https://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum/threads/35731-Northeast-Laos-1.-Luang-Prabang-and-Mountain-Roads

My other trip reports about Laos (see note 8.)

1. Sam Nuea and Vieng Xai

My only information about Sam Nuea (1), came from Lonely Planet’s last edition. Viewed from the sky, the city might not have changed a lot in two years, but for the traveler's daily life, some recommendations in the guide were no longer accurate.

The good news is the availability of an ATM machine, accepting foreign cards. On the negative side, my quest for “Salabeer Anny” ended nowhere and the highly recommended “Indian Restaurant” had disappeared. I took solace in “Chittavanh” place for a coffee and switched for dinner to “Danaomuang”, a simple “box type” hangout, patronized by a handful of customers; it became my main eatery in town, as it also provides rustic breakfasts with coffee.

After dinner, as others headed to “Happy Nightclub”, I constrained my exploratory mood and returned to “Sam Nuea Hotel”, enjoying wifi and unwinding from the eight hours meandering roads from Ponsavanh.

(Sam Nuea Hotel - 150’000 kip per night without breakfast - has no restaurant, but wifi connections in the rooms)

NK7_1158.jpg

NK7_1354.jpg

DSCF0591.jpg

A seasonal veil of haze draped the morning landscape, and I took a short walk to my breakfast place at “Danaomuang”. After gobbling some fried eggs, I was set to climb the east hill, on Route 6.

Vieng Xai was my Laos loop’s enthralling apex, and I was looking forward to arrive in the former Pathet Lao hide. I did not expect administrative harassment, as the caves are now widely promoted as a tourist attraction but still remembered, Christopher Kremmer’s words in his book, “Stalking the Elephant Kings”(7):

“... Colin had been to Viengsai the previous day, but was unable to get into any of the caves for obscure bureaucratic reasons. … The week before, the representative of a well-established travel guide had been turned away as well, this time by officials, who refused to show him the caves. Earlier, a British backpacker who'd made his own way to Viengsai had been arrested and held for a week after trying to enter an unmarked cave …”

Kremmer wrote this in 1997, and I pondered that Laos’ tourism is now on strong trails and even “solo bikers” would no longer be considered with suspicion.

Whilst climbing the mountain road, the meteorology became my immediate concern. After dull and cold winter days, I expected dry weather, leaving my waterproof gear in the hotel. When the fog changed into drizzle, my only choice was to drive on to destination. Fortunately, the rain remained moderate and my inner clothing was still dry upon arrival.

Despite the poor weather conditions, the landscape en route to Vieng Xai is stunning. Karst limestones punctuate a cultivated valley, cut by a well paved trail. A couple of villages, a branchout toward Sop Bao - a feared district - and the destination is reached in forty minutes.

NK7_0980-Edit.jpg

NK7_0982.jpg

NK7_0986.jpg

NK7_0987.jpg

NK7_0989-Edit.jpg

At eight thirty, I arrived at the “Caves Visitors Centre”, intending to join the nine o’clock guided morning tour. First, I seemed out of luck. The Vice Prime Minister, after inaugurating a temple in Sam Nuea the day before, had announced his call to the compound. If ever, my own visit could only start in the afternoon, leaving a bleak perspective of many hours to hang around. I looked disappointed, and the officials found a way to let me start my peregrination, with the usual local guide’s company (fees 60'000 kip).

The caves circuit is too long for a convenient walk. Visitors without transportation can rent bicycles, but with my own wheels, I was all set. My mentor jumped on a “Honda” showing me the way. I also began to listen to the audio system provided by the “Visitor Centre”, which plays recorded tour comments. I was pleased with the balanced historical descriptions, despite the grave tone used to quote crude and often harsh facts (audio samples are available online [2])

My first stop was at Kaysone Phomvihane's cave. Leader of the struggle, he established the Pathet Lao headquarters in Viengxay and became LPDR’s first Prime Minister. His hideout hosted the meeting room for the Politburo. Pictures of the 7 members are displayed at their former places, around the table.

NK7_0997.jpg

NK7_0996.jpg

NK7_1000.jpg

NK7_1001.jpg

Lined up like white skeletons, the garden was filled with naked dok champa trees (frangipani), Laos' national flower (leelawadee in Thailand). In blooming season this changes to a colourful and fragrant show.

NK7_1003.jpg

Bombing over Vieng Xai started on 17 may 1964 [my anniversary day ;)]. A nine years’ period of heavy metallic downpour followed, permanently shacking this picturesque limestone landscape.

NK7_1002.jpg

Across the road is Nouhak Phoumsavan's cave, he became President between 1992 and 1998. His garden is punctuated by a large crater carpeted by grass.

NK7_1005.jpg

NK7_1008.jpg

NK7_1014.jpg

NK7_1015.jpg

NK7_1016.jpg

“Under constant bombardment” - a panel reminds about General LeMay’s infamous intentions:
"they’ve got to draw in their horns and stop their aggression, or we’re going to bomb them back into the Stone Age” (3)

NK7_1013.jpg

The next compound on the guided tour is Prince Souphannouvon's (the Red Prince) place. During the war, opponents assassinated his son who's remains are kept under a small stupa.

Prince Souphannouvong became the country's first President when the PDR was established. He remained in post until he died in 1995.

This is how Christopher Kremmer described his visit in « Bamboo Palace »(4) :

“The first thing we saw at the cave site was a large cream and lemon-coloured villa built for the prince after the Paris peace accords ended US bombing in 1973. The building, and a garden of poinsettias and pomelo trees, had been laid out around a former bomb crater … revealed a stupa Souphanouvong had build to entomb the ashes of his eldest son, Arya, who'd been assassinated in1973”

Protected by a concrete wall, the cave's entrance is perched ten meters above the ground. It also host a emergency bunker with metal doors and an electric pump.

NK7_1030.jpg

NK7_1018.jpg

NK7_1020.jpg

NK7_1021.jpg

NK7_1022.jpg

NK7_1023.jpg

NK7_1026.jpg

NK7_1027.jpg

An open balcony overlooking the ravine hosts the kitchen catering for the Prince's large family.

NK7_1028.jpg

NK7_1024.jpg

General Khamtay Siphandone 's was the military commander and his cave is a large complex of interconnected military hidings.

NK7_1042.jpg

NK7_1031.jpg

NK7_1032.jpg

NK7_1038.jpg

NK7_1039.jpg

NK7_1040.jpg

NK7_1045.jpg

NK7_1047.jpg

NK7_1048.jpg

NK7_1051.jpg

NK7_1052.jpg

NK7_1056.jpg

Abrupt stairs give access to the artillery cave. Its panoramic view provides an ideal location for FLAK batteries defending the region.

Suddenly I heard an helicopter’s « thump-thump » noise that seemed real and did not come out of my audio system; the Vice Prime Minister had arrived, not to visit the caves but for a wedding lunch.

NK7_1066.jpg

NK7_1072.jpg

NK7_1083.jpg

NK7_1084.jpg

NK7_1086.jpg

Xanglot is a large natural cave, big enough to shelter important venues, entertainments (theatre, movies), wedding parties and large meetings. The theatre setup could accept 500 people.

NK7_1087.jpg

NK7_1088.jpg

NK7_1091.jpg

NK7_1092.jpg

Vieng Xai's historic significance gives a particular aura to its grottos. In these hollows, 20'000 people took shelter during nearly a decade, spending most of the days in hiding and cultivating their fields during the nights. The recorded audio comments are informative, without exaggerated propaganda and my guide for the visit was friendly and communicative. He was only thirty years old and from a generation born after the bombings.

A small artificial lake mirrors impressive karst boulders; on his shore, a restaurant was the venue for the official wedding party, off limit to me. As the dull overcast did not provide the best light for landscape pictures, I went on, looking for other subjects to put in my box.

NK7_1105.jpg

NK7_1107.jpg

At the periphery of the city I found a small Hmong settlement with joyous kids playing. It was an amusing moment, leaving me with a sense of hope before my departure from the region.

NK7_1113.jpg

NK7_1121.jpg

NK7_1126.jpg

NK7_1128.jpg

NK7_1131.jpg

More limestones, amazing natural sculptures, undulating landscapes, mature rice fields, despite the light’s greyness, the return trip on Route 6 was agreeable.

The Lao Tourism Administration is fostering Vieng Xai’s promotion, placing it on the level of the Cù Chi tunnels. Sam Nuea, however, is not Saigon. Few flights connect the Houa Phan capital to Vientiane and they are usually full. As for the road link, the long, uncertain and backbreaking journey from Luang Prabang holds many tourists away. On the other hand, the happy few visiting the region might appreciate it even more.

NK7_1133.jpg

NK7_1134.jpg

NK7_1136-Edit.jpg

DSCF0584.jpg

NK7_1140.jpg

NK7_1139.jpg

NK7_1148.jpg

NK7_1151.jpg

NK7_1152.jpg

NK7_1153.jpg

For dinner, I patronized a restaurant west of the Sam Keo Lak monument. The grilled chicken was so chewy that I rapidly gave up the chore to swallow it. Then, I headed back to my usual “Danaomuang” restaurant were I enjoyed another beer and some French fries.

NK7_1163.jpg

It was another dull and overcast morning, but I had reserved the day to discover Sam Nuea and did not care so much about the weather.

NK7_1180.jpg

DSCF0585.jpg

DSCF0594.jpg

Walking around the morning market and the central guest house road, I tried to sense how the city might have changed in recent times. In her book, published in the year 2000, Dervla Murphy makes the following comment (5):

“Despite forewarning about Houaphanh's reputation – 'Laos's most beautiful but least friendly province' – I was slightly taken aback, on that first day, by some of the local's reactions. Often my greetings evoked only hard, suspicious stares – or were ignored.”

A decade later I did not get the same impression. People were as communicative as possible. It is true, however, that in some cases they babble only four English words: “ I do not know”; for the rest, such folks usually speak Vietnamese.

NK7_1188.jpg

NK7_1195.jpg

NK7_1184.jpg

NK7_1202.jpg

The region is well known for quality weavings and I assumed that a handicraft centre would showcase people working on looms and a textile collection. The information from the tourism office was evasive and, eventually, after calling at various places, I found a friendly family working at home. Mrs Mi, a twenty-one years old Khmu girl, living alone with her mother, spent time to show me her craft.

NK7_1212.jpg

NK7_1216.jpg

NK7_1229.jpg

NK7_1279.jpg

Hills boarding the city are good locations to shot panoramic views, and I went up and down a couple of times. One small mount, crowned by a big building, on the east city’s outskirts, seemed particularly promising. Passing an arch I began to climb the road when a furious and well armed guard shouted at me: What you here! Turn right! I got the message and remembered that some places are off limits, but frankly, not more than anywhere else. Few countries would allow unauthorized bikers to just drive through a military compound.

DSCF0598.jpg

NK7_1283.jpg

NK7_1293.jpg

NK7_1305.jpg

NK7_1312.jpg

NK7_1324.jpg

Christoph Kremmer, in “Bamboo Palace” (4), describes Houa Phan’s religious environment:

“If you are tired of seeing monks in Laos, go to Xam Nua. I hadn't encountered a bonze since arriving, although the drab street would have benefited from their dazzling orange robes.”

This remains true, even so Buddhism was never banned in communist Laos, but rather integrated in the political system. Funding religious buildings and support to the monks community were, nevertheless, discouraged and restraint.

With temples built and renovated, even in small villages, religion is now gaining ground again. For many years, the only temple in the city was Wat Phoxaysanalam. The day before my visit, the Vice Prime Minister inaugurated a place of worship on a hill commanding a panoramic view over the valley.

NK7_1352.jpg

NK7_1284.jpg

NK7_1287.jpg

NK7_1291.jpg

On the main road, in direction of Phonsavan, the traffic has to turn around a curious “Jewel Monument” (Keo Lak Meung) commemorating the revolutionary people’s determination. The colorful bus station is located further up the hill. It is another vantage point for a panoramic view of the city.

NK7_1321.jpg

NK7_1336.jpg

NK7_1335.jpg

NK7_1342.jpg

NK7_1343.jpg

As the afternoon ends, children of all ages animate the streets, hurrying back from school.
It was time for me to call it a day and to relax in my favorite eatery cum “Beer Lao”. Exchanging information and stories with other travellers, or people on assignment in the region, is the most valuable evening entertainment in Sam Nuea. There is always something to learn from others’ life experiences.

NK7_1357.jpg

NK7_1358.jpg

It is monotonous to repeat bleak meteorological comments every morning, but, despite some light shades, dense fog covered again the valley. There would be few stops on my day’s itinerary and I filled my stomach with some toasts, omelettes and Lao coffee.

Shortly before seven o’clock, I was on my way, climbing Route 6 toward the South. A last glimpse back, the smile of Hmong girls walking to school and I left Sam Nuea with no plan to be back soon; something different, however, was secretly maturing in my travel dreams.

NK7_1362.jpg

NK7_1370.jpg

NK7_1366.jpg

NK7_1367.jpg

Slowly I poked through the curtain of mist to a fairy tale scenery. Under an overcast sky, vaporous silver clouds were hanging on the mountain’s flank, hiding the valley under an Ocean of cotton. I stopped several times, unable however to properly capture this delicate atmosphere on my camera's sensor.

NK7_1374.jpg

NK7_1375.jpg

NK7_1380.jpg

NK7_1383.jpg

NK7_1389.jpg

Progressively the Anamite Chain became darker, the fog thicker and I struggled for visibility to circle potholes and to watch out for lorries cutting the hairpin bends. Local buses often horn in curves, but trucks appropriate the entire tarmac, leaving at best a narrow gravel stretch for bikers. Fortunately the traffic was low and encounters infrequent.

Drizzle began to darken the asphalt and when the downpour became persistent, I had to use my waterproof gears and put my box into hiding.

NK7_1393.jpg

NK7_1395-Edit.jpg

NK7_1397.jpg

NK7_1401.jpg

When I reached Phou Lao intersection, the rain had stopped but fog still hindered the visibility. Driving toward the North, I took Route 1C, the link to Nong Khiew through Vieng Thong. Contrasting with the drab mist, a Mexican sunflowers’ ribbon gave a festive mood to this trail.

NK7_1406.jpg

NK7_1409.jpg

NK7_1411.jpg

NK7_1413.jpg

NK7_1414.jpg

NK7_1415.jpg

Mountain roads in Laos cut trough many villages and, along this itinerary, most are populated with Hmong or Khmu people. The cheering kids of these folks are keen to "high five" with foreigners on bikes.

A large bridge crosses the Neun river (Nam Neun), this is a good place to stop for a panoramic view, and to observe people ambling along the road.

NK7_1416.jpg

NK7_1422.jpg

NK7_1433.jpg

NK7_1419.jpg

NK7_1430.jpg

When I pass the lovely hamlets punctuating the way, I am always tempted to stop, to meet the people and to take pictures. With the number of settlements along this road, my breaks are only random, or triggered by cheering kids running toward me, as in „Home Phan“ village.

NK7_1471.jpg

NK7_1452.jpg

NK7_1457.jpg

NK7_1443.jpg

NK7_1447.jpg

NK7_1466.jpg

NK7_1469.jpg

My progression toward Vieng Thong was at a good pace and I had enough time to dawdle. My next stop was in “Hong” village, a Khmu settlement with colorful painted houses and lovely people flocking the street.

NK7_1475.jpg

NK7_1477.jpg

NK7_1482.jpg

NK7_1483.jpg

NK7_1486.jpg

NK7_1495.jpg

NK7_1496.jpg

“We are proud to have tigers” this statement is written on a panel, at Xieng Kouang province’s border. The same evening, in Vieng Thong, I met a foreigner on a three month assignment to study Nam Et Protected Area’s feline population. He confirmed the existence of some of the last big cats of Laos.

This place also marked Vieng Thong district’s beginning, and a road stone indicated "Oudom Xai, 300 kilometers”.

After a last picture stop in a Hmong hamlet, I reached my day's destination.

NK7_1498.jpg

NK7_1502.jpg

NK7_1510.jpg

Vieng Thong's lodging scene is limited. Four guest houses partake of the meagre visitors’ population, but three belong to the same owner. I checked in to Souksakhone III (former Dok Khoun Thong Guesthouse) slightly set back from the main road. It affords a panoramic view over a rice field patchwork, irrigated by the Khan river.

NK7_1589.jpg

NK7_1515.jpg

DSCF0607.jpg

Electricity was down in the village and the perspective of a shower was chilling. My host advised me to head to the hot springs, where I could enjoy a free dip. I found a dilapidated pond covered with tiny bubbles and evanescent fumes, nothing engaging for a swim.

My arrival had disturbed a group of kids running for their clothes and rushing away. I was sorry to trouble their collective soaking, as I did not use the open air shower pipes.

NK7_1529.jpg

NK7_1528.jpg

NK7_1526.jpg

NK7_1558.jpg

In the town’s centre, a dry market is flanked by a morning fresh market. Basic commodities are traded there, mixing brands from China, Vietnam and Thailand. As the clientele is sparse, the mood is relaxed and sales people have time to attend to their offspring.

NK7_1542.jpg

NK7_1543.jpg

NK7_1548.jpg

NK7_1539.jpg

Less than a kilometre away, in the next village, Khmu people sell fresh gathering on the pavement, in a makeshift afternoon market.

NK7_1575.jpg

NK7_1572.jpg

NK7_1571.jpg

NK7_1561.jpg

On my way back I enjoyed the sight of the young generation pedalling back from school. Their nonchalant displacement, the girls’ colourful umbrella undulations and a joyous mood brings life to an usually empty main street.

NK7_1584.jpg

NK7_1587.jpg

Only “Tontavahn eatery” apparently offers food for dinner; and the alternative to patronize it or starve was an easy choice. Most visitors do the same and the evenings are spent exchanging travel stories. Frequent “horror” sagas relate bus reliability. After long waiting times for reparation and hours of delay, peoples arrive exhausted, in the middle of the night, and in remote bus stations without access to lodgings.

NK7_1521.jpg

The distance from Sam Nuea to Vieng Thong is 147 km (I covered it in 5 hours)

Winding roads to Nong Kiew

During this season and at this altitude, mornings are cold. After a nourishing breakfast of fried eggs, sticky rice and Nescafé, I covered my mesh gear with a nylon layer and savored an early departure on Route 1C, toward Nong Khiew.

Mist lingered around the way but blue patches also poked out of the grey cover; it was a fresh and agreeable environment for a ride. Progressively, however, the fog became thicker and finally rain surprised me again. With my camera in hiding, I progressed through mountains covered with pristine forests, rolling up and down winding curves, jumping from valley to valley, from river to river.

NK7_1599.jpg

NK7_1602.jpg

NK7_1612.jpg

NK7_1615.jpg

No cars or lorries were on this road during my trip’s first 45 kilometres. I only crossed kids, racing downhill on bicycles, to rush to school; a hazard as they do not expect to share the slope with other users and are dangerously zigzagging on gravel pavements.

Despite the low traffic, this Route is not deserted; domestic animals amble to and fro whilst people in hamlets run errands or use the pavement for all type of activities.

Averting to scratch poultry and small black pigs is sheer luck; and luck also protected a roster who only left his tail feathers under my tires.

NK7_1617.jpg

NK7_1619.jpg

NK7_1632.jpg

NK7_1639.jpg

NK7_1645.jpg

In Nong Khiew, the high season was nearing its peak and tourists already flocked the place, filling most guesthouses. I was lucky to find a rustic bungalow, charging half of my usual shack; an adequate choice just for a night sleep.

NK7_1663.jpg

NK7_1656.jpg

In an impressive dark limestone theatre, the placid Ou river meanders along simple villages, linked by an imposing bridge. Despite similarities with Vang Vieng, this region has none of its nuisances.

NK7_1669.jpg

NK7_1689.jpg

NK7_1675.jpg

NK7_1687.jpg

NK7_1686.jpg

NK7_1688.jpg

From the friendly CT restaurant’s terrace, I admired a spectacular sunset. When cloud banks curtain the horizon, they reflect the light’s full shades, stretching the dawn over hours.

It was a lazy evening, with dinner, Lao Beer and the now ubiquitous wifi connections.

NK7_1695.jpg

NK7_1700.jpg

NK7_1706.jpg

“Lock in please when you sleep”, this warning had recently been handwritten on the door. Apparently, a “Falang” got a burglar’s visit in his bungalow whilst he was asleep. The other information, on the same panel, are also to be taken seriously … and I tried to respect the “regulation for acting austene”.

NK7_1699.jpg

NK7_1699-2.jpg

The distance from Vieng Thong to Nong Kiew is 162 km.

CT restaurant opens early for breakfast, and I left Nong Khiew at seven o'clock, poking through a veil of mist. Blue strips, however, were illuminating the horizon, promising signs of a beautiful day.

NK7_1709.jpg

NK7_1718.jpg

A half an hour trip, and I had covered the smooth thirty kilometres to Pak Mong and to the intersection with Route 13.

The following hours, on a mostly destroyed pavement, were less pleasant. I pushed my Versys harder and was satisfied with her ability to digest the crap, as long as I circled around the steepest potholes.

NK7_1719.jpg

NK7_1722.jpg

NK7_1723.jpg

NK7_1727.jpg

NK7_1732.jpg

When I passed the Hmong village “Ban Lakhasip”, it was full of playing children, an opportunity to call for a chat and pictures. The kids should be at school, but the classrooms are far away and no teachers were available these days.

Elder people rejoiced to see my bike's Chiangmai matriculation, saying that many Hmongs leave there. This hamlet has 20 houses and 147 habitants whose main occupation is to cultivate dry mountain rice and vegetables.

NK7_1807.jpg

NK7_1776.jpg

NK7_1740.jpg

NK7_1744.jpg

NK7_1772.jpg

NK7_1737.jpg

NK7_1793.jpg

NK7_1787.jpg

NK7_1735.jpg

Route 13 goes on - as do the destructions on the pavement - for another fifty kilometres. The total journey, from Nong Khiew, takes about three hours for 110 kilometres. When I eventually reached Oudom Xai's centre, I washed down the road’s dust in my throat with a second breakfast at “Siso Bakery” (a GT-Rider recommendation).

NK7_1821.jpg

NK7_1823.jpg

NK7_1825.jpg

After Oudom Xai, the renovated Route 13 deserves a special appreciation. It is spotless and particularly enjoyable when compared with the erratic jumps on the way up from Pak Mong.

Two pictures, taken on the same sector in 2010, show the improvements’ level on this trail.

NK7_1827.jpg

DSC_4109-1.jpg

JC_100506_north-laos_1-86.jpg

NK7_1830.jpg

NK7_1833.jpg

When I spotted young girls playing with elastics along the road, I said: “jump”! This triggered an hilarious game of bouncing dolls.

NK7_1841.jpg

NK7_1842.jpg

Further down the way, I shortly stopped in another Hmong village, taking again some kids’ pictures.

NK7_1853.jpg

NK7_1856.jpg

NK7_1859.jpg

Suddenly, down below the road’s side, I spotted two boys capturing a strange animal. It was a bamboo rat, as described in Dervla Murphy’s book, “One Foot in Laos”(6):

“… a fat, dark grey, coarse-coated animal about eighteen inches long hanging from a vine snare around the neck. Desperately it struggled, its four paws with strong claws kicking in the air. It had a blunt nose, small ears, a shortish tail, rodent teeth.”

Their parents were having lunch at the same place, and the answer was enthusiastic and positive when I suggested that the beast would soon end up in a pot!

NK7_1865.jpg

NK7_1869.jpg

NK7_1874.jpg

Route 13, after Oudom Xai, is now a bikers' treat till its last stretch, Na Theuy's intersection with Route 13B. Only antic and unreadable tombstones reminded about the old trail (in the meantime they are also gone, replaced with shiny new markers).

NK7_1885.jpg

NK7_1887.jpg

NK7_1889.jpg

There was another spectacular lorry accident on route 13B, they seem frequent on the link between China and Thailand.

NK7_1892.jpg

In Luang Namtha, I checked in again to “Manychan Restaurant and Guesthouse”.

3 Luang Namtha and back home

Leaving « Manychan » without breakfast is impossible; foreign style meals are gorgeous and the coffee makes me fit for the whole day. Dark morning fog was an additional reason to delay my departure.

When I began to climb the mountain toward Nam Ha Natioanl Park, the mist still lingered on the road. Luang Namtha had been the coldest place along my entire Northeast Laos itinerary.

NK7_1896.jpg

NK7_1898.jpg

NK7_1900.jpg

NK7_1902.jpg

“Ban Sing” is a friendly Khmu village where I stopped to join people congregated around small fires, on a central place. I chatted and laughed with them, taking pictures and absorbing the burning wood’s and genuine welcome’s warmness.

This gratifying moment strengthened my intention to be on this road again, as soon as possible.

NK7_1932.jpg

NK7_1904.jpg

NK7_1908.jpg

NK7_1921.jpg

NK7_1927.jpg

For his first 120 kilometres, Route 3 has an excellent asphalt pavement.

NK7_1935.jpg

NK7_1941.jpg

NK7_1942.jpg

NK7_1944.jpg

NK7_1955.jpg

NK7_1956.jpg

The last segment has undergone heavy reparations in the last years. During this trip some sectors were still bumpy and dusty, but the whole itinerary is now totally renovated.

NK7_1962.jpg

NK7_1969.jpg

NK7_1972.jpg

Noon is not an ideal arrival time to cross the border in Houei Xai. Custom officers tend to go out for lunch, and the ferry is waiting for a complete vehicles’ load.

It was the 11th November 2011, at 11:11 and many people were watching TV to follow the official opening of the third Friendship Bridge over the Mekong, from Nakhon Phanom to Thakhek. That day, I needed about three hours to start the cruise toward Chiang Khong.

NK7_1986.jpg

NK7_1998.jpg

Chilling down in Tammila guest house, I bid farewell to Laos with the firm commitment to drive back very soon and to meet these friendly people again.

DSCF0618.jpg

NK7_2038.jpg

Total roundtrip from Chiangmai, 2555 kilometers

Notes:

Comprehensive pictures location:
https://picasaweb.google.com/111845057494533452431/LaosNortheastReturn#

(1) « Sam Nuea »: usually I use the transliteration found in the GT-Rider maps, as many readers are familiar with these documents. For Sam Nuea, I made an exception as this new writing frequently replaces the French origin’s “X” (Xam Nuea).

(2) Link removed

(3) Evidence of LeMay's thinking is that in his 1965 autobiography, co-written with MacKinlay Kantor, LeMay is quoted as saying his response to North Vietnam would be to demand that "they’ve got to draw in their horns and stop their aggression, or we’re going to bomb them back into the Stone Age. And we would shove them back into the Stone Age with Air power or Naval power—not with ground forces." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curtis_LeMay

(4) Bamboo Palace
Christopher Kremmer
Silkworm Books, 2003

(5) Ant Egg Soup
Natacha du Pont de Bie
Holder and stoughton, 2004

(6) One Foot in Laos
Dervla Murphy
Flamingo 2000

(7) Stalking the Elephant Kings
Christopher Kremmer
Alan & Unwin 1997

(8.) References to my other Laos trip reports. All suitable for road bikes and “solo” driving:

North-Central Laos:
https://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum/threads/33280-An-Easy-Road-to-Laos-1-Crosing-the-border
https://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum/threads/33379-An-Easy-Road-to-Laos-2-The-Road-to-Luang-Prabang
https://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum/threads/33573-An-Easy-Road-to-Laos-3-Plain-of-Jars
https://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum/threads/33925-An-Easy-Road-to-Laos-4.-Back-to-Nong-Khai

South Laos:
https://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum/threads/34187-South-Laos-1-Ferry-Tales?p=264916#poststop
https://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum/threads/35164-South-Laos-2-Around-the-Bolevan
https://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum/threads/35381-South-Laos-3-Central-Laos

North-West Laos:
https://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum/threads/35288-A-Short-Loop-to-Norwest-Laos

If you appreciate GT-Rider website, “like” the page on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/the.gtrider

Next Northeast Laos trip report: Part 3 - Epilogue

The complete trip report: Northeast Laos – Sam Nuea loop

Part 1 – Luang Prabang and mountain roads

11 From Nan to Oudomxai…
12 Royal Luang Prabang
13 Mountain roads to Sam Nuea

Part 2 – Sam Nuea and a winding drive back

21 Sam Nuea and Vieng Xai
22 Winding roads to Nong Kiew
23 Luang Namtha and back home

Rod Page

Subscribed
Jan 7, 2010
A briilaint report once again Jurgen you have an ability with camera & word that takes the reader there, to enthrawl & to irresistibly tempt us all to follow in your path.
Thanks for letting us dream.

Jurgen

Subscribed
Oct 23, 2009
www.chopard.org
Thank you Rod for your kind and encouraging words. I am also happy if more bikers take the roads to Xam Nuea, as this remote corner of Laos still seems to struggle for visitors. As you know, I am just back from another tour ... But this will once be another story :)

Mar 30, 2010
Lovely report and pictures Jurgen.. Really nice to see Sam Neua.
This was on our plan in December but we dropped it as running out of time and needed a bit of a rest day..

The pictures look great and will make the trip for sure in the next cool season..

Nice also to see other riders enjoy the same towns and even guest houses we stayed in.

Vieng Thong hot spring has change a bit over the years.. When I first went there 4 or so years ago.. Anyone could rock up and enjoy the hot water running out the pipes.. In December, they had a paid for section at the top and a free section half way down.. Class distinction in a communist country :)

All the people that paid to use the top had the best water pressure.. the rest had the trickle at the bottom. Certainly made it less crowded..
We soaked in the hot water until sunset... really lovely after days of riding..

388584_689951998599_9801811_34989866_1096316816_n.jpg

Cheers and keep the great reports coming.

Brian

Feb 12, 2012
Beautiful report. And finally there is the part about Nong Kiaow :)

When i read this report, my mind just narrows to one conclusion: I'll have to this myself ! This year ! Definitly !

“Lock in please when you sleep”, this warning had recently been handwritten on the door. Apparently, a “Falang” got a burglar’s visit in his bungalow whilst he was asleep. The other information, on the same panel, are also to be taken seriously … and I tried to respect the “regulation for acting austene”.
Rumor was that they stole 10k USD from this guy, plus his flashy camera and IPAD. I felt so good sleeping in this bungalow after hearing this story. And they did all of this while he was asleep. They sneaked in, searched his luggage, took all worthy stuff, left the passport and got out again. FREAKY.

Dougal

Dec 18, 2007
Inspiring and motivational!

I do so enjoy your reports Jurgen, beautifully written and awesome photos. Thanks.

Sep 16, 2009
Awesome pix, awesome report, awesome trip!! Makes me want to go back to Laos, and i just got home only a few days ago.

Thanks for sharing,

Mike

King of Jars

Subscribed
Feb 27, 2008
Nong Khai
Spectacular report, awesome pictures.

A pity though that you left out Suan Hin Tang. Weird arrangements of Menhirs and I think, that if anyone makes this long way upto Houaphan it might be - for completion sake - worthwile to drive these six kilometres (each way). The branch out from Route 6 (your picture NK7_1397.jpg) is at GPS 20.15889 103.89133 and you need a all-wheeler (if going by car like me) or reasonably dry road conditions to reach the Suan Sao Hin Tang at GPS 20.12334 103.89552.

The following picture, taken in June 2010, shows my initial excitement after having reached the Asian version of Stonehenge - before having read the fable and the historical findings of French historian Dr. Madelaine Colani then the whole thing starts to make sence. These details are shown in English on sign boards; but you feel like the only person on planet Mars and you most likely are exactly that. Should anyone be interested in the fable details, then let me know; I can post it anytime.

Attached files
276892=9007-100612%20NEU-XKH%20Suan%20Sao%20Hin%20Tang7a.jpg

Jurgen

Subscribed
Oct 23, 2009
www.chopard.org
Yes, Ticino, you are right, I finally left the visit of Hintang out in November (not that I had not tried to drive the muddy road up, but it was too risky, as I wrote in part 1). However, I went back in January, and this time I made it. As I am not a fast writer, this story, with the Hintang pictures, is still waiting in the box ... but it will come.

When I did my visit, there was absolutely no touristic activities around, and things wer quite dilapidated. A pitty when you think about the historic value of the site. But the stones were still there ... and I took a bunch of pictures :)

King of Jars

Subscribed
Feb 27, 2008
Nong Khai
Well, mon cher, it is indeed a pity. My purpose in June 2010 was to do a write-up for a German travel guide with pictures, fable and some historical facts (which I did). The historical part was the most difficult to come by as only Dr. Madeleine Colani, a French archeologist was there and in the plain of jars in 1935 during her assignment with the École française d'Extrême-Orient.
This link knows more and hence might be of interest: Udon E-San Bike Week 20-21 January 2012.
She passed away in 1943 in Hanoï - during WWII. The Indochina war raged and afterwards the Indochinese wars brought any further studies to a sceeching halt.
I sent you an email with the enlarged picture of the sign board which I found two years ago; meanwhile it might have disintegrated as literally nobody is there to look after anything. We cleared the site from some rubbish and plastic bottles and chip bags as - whatever the site was for - it must have been a special site for those people thousands of years ago which demand our today's respect.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Ticino;276919 wrote: Well, mon cher, it is indeed a pity. My purpose in June 2010 was to do a write-up for a German travel guide with pictures, fable and some historical facts (which I did). The historical part was the most difficult to come by as only Dr. Madeleine Colani, a French archeologist was there and in the plain of jars in 1935 during her assignment with the École française d'Extrême-Orient.
This link knows more and hence might be of interest: Udon E-San Bike Week 20-21 January 2012.
She passed away in 1943 in Hanoï - during WWII. The Indochina war raged and afterwards the Indochinese wars brought any further studies to a sceeching halt.
I sent you an email with the enlarged picture of the sign board which I found two years ago; meanwhile it might have disintegrated as literally nobody is there to look after anything. We cleared the site from some rubbish and plastic bottles and chip bags as - whatever the site was for - it must have been a special site for those people thousands of years ago which demand our today's respect.
Ticino
If you want to write up something about Suan Hin on GT RIder I'm sure it would be appreciated by many, as "we" don't really know much about the site.
Thanks in advance for anything you want to contribute.