Offroad in Chiang Mai

Jun 9, 2011
Hi,

I've seen that some people ride bikes that are not street legal (motocross bikes).
I'd like to get one to ride offroad but I have no way of getting the bike outside of the city without riding it.
Do you all have a pickup truck to get your bike outside of the city ?
Will the police impound the bike if I get arrested or will I just have a fine to pay ?

Thanks

Oct 12, 2005
Greetings,

I've been riding my motocross bikes from Chiang Mai into the mountains on the pavement for years. I've had no problems yet but it is technically illegal and consistent enforcement of laws in our fair city is anything but commonplace. Basically you are rolling the dice that you will have no problems. Or just get a pickup and sleep soundly at night.

Sep 4, 2007
I have heard of people being stopped and asked for papers, because they are carrying a bike on a pickup. Maybe the BIB trying to ensure you are not stealing it??. Anyone had this problem, and if so what was the outcome?

Johpa

Aug 22, 2005
I doubt anyone cares about "street legal" but they do care about the bike having proper registration, at least in the towns. Once up in the hills even the registration is not needed. Many of my neighbors in the hills never register their older bikes as they never take the bikes, or themselves for that matter, into town.