Old School Racing

Aug 3, 2004
What a great clip. Plenty of room to pass and everything quite informal. Not so many spectators in the stands, it looked like they were all down on the track.
The best I could squeeze out of my Army Indian was about 75mph, which was quite fast enough with the rigid rear end.
Cheers,
Peter

mikerust

Subscribed
Nov 5, 2003
Rhodie,

I was told in my youth that one of my grandmother's relatives raced a belt drive Raleigh at the TT. Also my would-have-been uncle was killed riding a Brough Superior. I was only told these things once and it was never mentioned again. I couldn't have a bike when I was 16 so had to settle for a Lambretta.

Rhodie

Mar 5, 2006
Amazing Men & different times...

When the IoM TT started, riders had to open & close farm gates on their way through farmers' fields that was then the "course".

Wonderful stuff!

I had a Raleigh chopper [bicycle] when I was a nipper :oops:
-- so riding a Lambretta does that make you an erstwhile Mod? 8)
Dead envious!

As for your would-have-been Uncle, his name wasn't Lawrence perchance??

mikerust

Subscribed
Nov 5, 2003
Rhodie wrote:
-- so riding a Lambretta does that make you an erstwhile Mod? 8)
Dead envious!

As for your would-have-been Uncle, his name wasn't Lawrence perchance??
As CS will know I grew up in the sticks so while yes I did have a fur-lined hood on my parka and did dabble with rear crash bars, by necessity :oops: I never went the lights, luggage racks, seat back, and aerial route. With 10 miles to work everyday I was more into "pipe-of-the-month" ( i think I had 4 or maybe it was only 3); big bore kit, big carburetor and gearing.

I still don’t know my uncles first name but no family name not Lawrence. No mystery car involved either, he ran into the back of and unlit stationary truck.

One sidebar from this family tragedy is that I know why old bikes like Vellocette, Brough, etc. had fish tail exhausts. If you would like to hazard a guess.