Oops. GTR goes down

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
One of the most dangerous corners / intersections I know is just 500 metres from my house.

There is an accident there almost every month.

I use it several times a day, going in & out.

And sure enough my number came up 2 nights ago.

289135=15340-dsc_0101.jpg

hit by / collided with a young gal on a Scooby, whom I never saw until the impact!

We were all lucky -myself, son Jason on the Versys with me, plus the female Scooby rider - nothing broken.
I was the only one required to spend a night in hospital, I was asked to spend another couple of days, but one night - day was enough. I'm mobile, but quite sore - ribs, arm , shoulder on the right side where I went down.
Jason did not go to the hospital - he's tougher than me?
The girl was checked out at Nakorn Ping hospital & sent home - road rash on her knees & back of the hand.

Everyone was wearing a helmet.

In the next few days, the real damage assessment & insurance negotiations will be decided.
Both the Scooby & Versys took quite a hit - I was accelerating out across the intersection, but did not quite get it right; & there's a few bent bits & pieces on both bikes.

Take care out there, as Songkran is coming &that's the most dangerous time of the year to be out on the road; but you won't see me out there.

A big thank you to all the well wishers on my facebook site.

Sep 19, 2006
www.chiangmai-xcentre.com
I must say I am Surprised at the Damage to Both Bikes which I saw today! I would like to know how the Africa twin would have stood up to a Similar Hit? The Versys is definitely looking a bit "Second Hand" so to speak!!!

Nov 21, 2010
Good to hear all people involved are more or less OK, it could have much worse.

The Versys is a lot of cheap plastic, so the damage may look huge but an all set of new plastic costs about 14k I think.

Chang Noi

Apr 23, 2006
I wouldn't say Jason is tougher than you - just younger - you don't bounce the same at our age! Hope you are fit soon & all sorted out quickly.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Everything is sorted out with the police, injured party & insurance company,

Sad to say but it looks like the Scooby beat up the Versys.

The brutal Scooby winner

289178=15383-img_5858.jpg

The Versys loser

289178=15384-img_5860.jpg

289178=15385-img_5861.jpg

Apparent damage
Fairing
Windscreen
Headlight
Mudguard
Brake lever (not even the collapse-able lever saved it)
Handle bars
Forks
++---?

All up = ouch!.

The insurance Company Thai Siri paid for Miss Scooby's hospital bills, bike repairs plus time unable to work @ 300 baht a day (not that she was working - unemployed) while she can produce a medical certificate.
Me - a 400 baht traffic offence fine, plus a 10,000 baht (better than the 30,000 baht requested) "Nam Jai" donation to the sore Ms Scooby (her first motorcycle accident)
Ms Scooby was extremely lucky - no helmet, no head contact with the ground. Only road rash on her knees & the back of the left hand.
The insurance company did all the negotiations with the police & Ms Scooby's family.
I negotiated the 10,000 baht, once they accepted the insurance pay out.
The police officer involved was extremely polite & patient.
I was impressed as it all went relatively smoothly.

The Versys is now off to the shop to see exactly what new parts are needed.
Hopefully an order will go in before Songkran & I will be back on the road in 2 weeks, ribs & shoulder depending.

The insurance cover I had was voluntary 3rd party with bail bond
https://www.gt-rider.com/motorcycles-in-thailand/motorcycle-insurance-cover

Use the above link to get yourself some voluntary 3rd party insurance.

You all take it easy over Songkran now.

Aug 25, 2012
If even someone like you could make a mistake, all of us must take extra special care out there, and not only during Songkran! Thankfully no one was badly hurt.

The only spares I have are the OEM windscreen, mirrors and bottom fairing (I installed a skid plate on my V), if they would be of any use to you.

Rod Page

Subscribed
Jan 7, 2010
Just in from the islands to read this......trust all's well mate; pleased there are no broken bones.
Makes one reflect on what we all love to do; shows that even the best of us are vulnerable.
Safe riding to all.

feejer

Feb 16, 2007
Whew! Happy to hear everyone escaped serious harm and hope the sore bits feel normal again soon. Healing up a bit myself at the moment after a mountain bike crash broke my foot a few weeks back. New DR650 and can't even ride it, ugggghhh!

Jul 11, 2007
Hello David,

I'm glad too to read you had no broken bones because when aging it takes much longer time to heal (remember your
shoulder,)
It's 3 months tomorrow I broke my leg and still I cannot put weight on my right foot despite the big rod I have in my leg.
This is the 1st time in my life I wish time would go faster!
Cheers, Lung.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Captain_Slash;289266 wrote: Hopefully you are back on the road soon David, doesnt the 3rd party insurance pay the 10,000 Baht awarded to the girl?
Slash, no this was an extra "Nam Jai" payment from me personally to close the case, so that everyone was happy.

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
Hope you have/are healed/-ing up well David, is the Versys again good to go or do you have to wait for the plastics ? You won't miss anything while not on the bike this and next week 5555555, I made my last 'bunker-purchase' yesterday so not to being forced to move out of my place onto any roads for the next 7 days. Rgds, FR

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Franz;289279 wrote: Hope you have/are healed/-ing up well David, is the Versys again good to go or do you have to wait for the plastics ? You won't miss anything while not on the bike this and next week 5555555, I made my last 'bunker-purchase' yesterday so not to being forced to move out of my place onto any roads for the next 7 days. Rgds, FR
Hi there Franz, thanks for the good wishes. Im mobile on a Honda Wave out my way, but the ribs & shoulder do hurt. The bike has been stripped down at Piston Shop & I believe a parts order went into Kawasaki before they closed for the holiday. I would hope to be back on the road in 2 weeks with luck.

Oct 30, 2010
Glad that nobody suffered serious injuries and heal up soon. I am aware that 3 malaysians met with separate accidents during the Phuket bike week. 2 were fatal and another was injured. A pillion was also seriously hurt.

Ride safe. Cheers.

Jul 6, 2004
Gee Dave, you really get yourself in some wars.
I hope all goes well for you and son.
Ben and I are in Phuket at the moment looking at Stand Up Paddle boards, when you fall off the water is much softer!
May see you in the future up north.

Cheers
Tom

Dec 27, 2007
Bloody hell I can't believe a wee little Scoopy beat up your Versys that bad! :crazy:

Hope you've got 1st class insurance as those forks are quite expensive! (Around ~60,000 baht!) :wtf:

Hope you can get the Versys back on the road soon! :thumbup:

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
TonyBKK;290207 wrote: Bloody hell I can't believe a wee little Scoopy beat up your Versys that bad! :crazy:

Hope you've got 1st class insurance as those forks are quite expensive! (Around ~60,000 baht!) :wtf:

Hope you can get the Versys back on the road soon! :thumbup:
Yeah I can see the bill slowly but surely starting to sky rocket & lost time flashing by.

Dec 27, 2007
Davidfl;290202 wrote: Still going...but slowly getting it back together.

and lower triple clamp

290202=15824-img_5890.jpg

290202=15825-img_5891.jpg
Dear David,

If the only thing damaged on the lower triple is the steering stop I'd look into fixing it instead of replacing.

Did the same thing on my K5 and in talking to guys at the track they say this happens all the time and due to the cost of the part it's much preferable to fix than replace.
K6SteeringStem3SmSSR.jpg

So I took the damaged triple to a recommended welding shop and they sorted it out for very little money-
RepairedSteeringStemZmSSR.jpg

Knock on wood, I haven't had any problems with it since.

Seeing as how the lower triple for the Versys costs 6100 baht (and it's out of stock until June...) you might want to think about repairing instead of replacing this part.

Ride on!

Tony

:happy1:

feejer

Feb 16, 2007
Davidfl;291034 wrote: Still waiting for front forks & the lower triple clamp.
Time is flying by now. Ho hum. Who said I can't get grumpy.
Jeez, 2 months! With all the moto mishaps in Thailand one would think there is a thriving salvage parts industry. There is no website or parts finder from wrecking yards over there? I guess I am lucky to have Bent Bike just a 30 minute ride away. Usually have had anything I need for pennies compared to new.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
feejer;291087 wrote: Jeez, 2 months! With all the moto mishaps in Thailand one would think there is a thriving salvage parts industry. There is no website or parts finder from wrecking yards over there? I guess I am lucky to have Bent Bike just a 30 minute ride away. Usually have had anything I need for pennies compared to new.
In the last couple of day's one fork & the lower triple clamp are on their way.
One more fork still has to come from Japan.
Not all the delay is from Kawasaki, some of it is from the repair shop = TIT.

feejer

Feb 16, 2007
Good news. 2 months without a bike and I would need medication. Hopefully you wont have need or huge delays again, but if so a call or email to these guys may be worth the time. Even if they don't have it on site, they can usually scour the region for what you need. Don't see any reason why they couldn't ship to CM.

http://www.bentbikemotorcycles.com/bbnews/?page_id=5

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Finally he's back

291568=16288-GTR-Versys1.jpg

291568=16289-GTR-Versys2.jpg

on the road again.
Everything seems to be ok, but needless to say there will be a few things to be adjusted & tweaked; plus some new stickers to give it some bling once more.:wink: