Pattaya Crackdown on Books Tax Insurance

Oct 17, 2006
Police have been having a big campaign for the last month all over pattaya and chonburi, they stop all bikes even if you have helmets on as they want to see Driving License , copy of nook or original , insurance and Tax are also checked ,the checkpoints are serious and i have seen many all over the city i have been checked 4 times , Bribes are no option if there is a problem this is not a local in initiative and they are dead serious idf the documents are not in orede r the bike will be impounded .I spoke with a police captain at hiway patrol and he said the plan came from Chonuri central government and that all info is being sent to Land transport Dept in Bangkok . applications for licences at localoffices has recently shot up as have registration and tax receipts .and the pound on pattaya Tai is overflowing with bikes and cars .

Oct 17, 2006
Just had a phone call from my Danish mate Stefan , he had his Kawasaki Er6 impounded this morning on Pattaya Nua as he did not have an up to date Insurance and his driving license was out of date ,He tried a 500 baht bribe but they would not take it . he will have to get new license first and insurance before he can pay the fines and get his bike back.

Feb 23, 2003
They are getting serious all right, about making money. On Thepprasit road they have a morning checkpoint with 50 policemen, and are stopping EVERYBODY. There were three tables for collecting money, and long lines at each one. One Swedish guy on holiday was stopped on a rental bike. He was fined for not having a Thai license.....He was yelling and screaming at the police, saying he was never coming back here again.
I have never seen this level of monetary aggression. I have a feeling there was a change of a head honcho, and he is trying to get back the millions of baht he paid to get his position.

Elkie

Nov 15, 2010
I was in Phayao recently in a one week old pick-up. I got nicked for having no tax disc. A bit difficult if the government office takes three weeks to supply it. I understand the fine should have been 200 baht, but as I am a falang it cost 500. Ho Hum!

Feb 23, 2003
Once you are pulled over, they need to figure out why you have to pay them money.
They go through the standard list ( insurance, rego, etc. ). If that does not create a payday, the final moneymaker request is to see your passport. By Thai law you are required to carry your passport at all times, which basically no one does because of the fear of losing it or getting it wet. The way around that is is to carry a small laminated copy of your passport.
After years of being here, I now treat checkpoints the same way I would treat robbers by the side of the road waving me to a stop so they can rob me. The standard three man teams on the open highway I do not even slow down for them. The massive ones with cones and blocked off lanes are a bit trickier. When I see them ahead, I cross over to the other side of the highway, ride against traffic a a bit, then cross back after the check point. Pattaya police have introduced a new wrinkle. They will operate as one man unit. What they do is wait by a traffic light, letting it do the work of stopping people. They then size up the bikes stopped in front for likely infractions, then step into the traffic and pull the bike over. So at lights wait back about 50 feet.......

Dec 27, 2007
rhiekel wrote: Once you are pulled over, they need to figure out why you have to pay them money.
They go through the standard list ( insurance, rego, etc. ). If that does not create a payday, the final moneymaker request is to see your passport. By Thai law you are required to carry your passport at all times, which basically no one does because of the fear of losing it or getting it wet. The way around that is is to carry a small laminated copy of your passport.
After years of being here, I now treat checkpoints the same way I would treat robbers by the side of the road waving me to a stop so they can rob me. The standard three man teams on the open highway I do not even slow down for them. The massive ones with cones and blocked off lanes are a bit trickier. When I see them ahead, I cross over to the other side of the highway, ride against traffic a a bit, then cross back after the check point. Pattaya police have introduced a new wrinkle. They will operate as one man unit. What they do is wait by a traffic light, letting it do the work of stopping people. They then size up the bikes stopped in front for likely infractions, then step into the traffic and pull the bike over. So at lights wait back about 50 feet.......

Ha ha! Cheers! Those are some BRILLIANT ideas! I carry the laminated copy of passport and never stop for the 1-2 man shake down teams by the side of the road but that bit about crossing to the other side of the highway is something I never thought of. Excellent idea! :clap:

As for the traffic light shake down, yeah, I've had 'em try and do me that way a couple of times in Bangkok but I'm usually up at the front of the pack and just chit chat with them until the light turns green, then take off. On the couple occasions where they've tried to reach for my key I give 'em a smack and yell KAMOY! (Theif!)

Final thought- why would anyone want to ride a big bike in Pattaya? I flippin' hate riding a big bike there. The few times I've ridden my bigger bikes in Patters I had to ditch the greedy coppers every time! Much better IMO to leave the bike at your home/hotel and zip around on a little scooter, take a baht bus / songtaew, or enjoy the fantastic traffic from the comfort of your air conditioned car...

Ride On!

Tony

Jul 11, 2010
Good information on here. I usually carry most of the stuff required and I am also careful to have the tax and registration in order. If the police can see that you have the tax sticker in place then I cannot understand why they would need a copy of the registration book. I have Thai driving licences, one for cars and the other for motorcycles, so I don't need a passport, as I also have a work permit here. However, I now realize I should copy those documents too. Thanks for the warning.

Nov 11, 2006
What would be the story if you had a bike on a trailer heading for Bira, especially if it had been registered etc but now converted into a track bike?

rmbike

Jun 28, 2010
rhiekel wrote: Once you are pulled over, they need to figure out why you have to pay them money.
this is exactly what i do
only been chased once by a single cop on a bike in nongbualamphu.

BTW, if stopped and its tea money not a written ticket never pay more than 200, just be patient, smile, play dumb, explain all sorts of shit they never understand, hide other money before hand, wait them out, they get bored or realize others are going by and take the 200.

Dec 27, 2007
JohhnyE wrote: What would be the story if you had a bike on a trailer heading for Bira, especially if it had been registered etc but now converted into a track bike?
If you have a track bike or dirt bike that's not meant for road use it is not required to be registered or insured so as long as it's on a trailer or properly secured int the back of a pickup and not being ridden on public roads the BiB have no reason to hassle you. Not saying they won't try, but legally you are in the clear. :happy5:

rmbike

Jun 28, 2010
TonyBKK wrote: [quote quote=JohhnyE]What would be the story if you had a bike on a trailer heading for Bira, especially if it had been registered etc but now converted into a track bike?
If you have a track bike or dirt bike that's not meant for road use it is not required to be registered or insured so as long as it's on a trailer or properly secured int the back of a pickup and not being ridden on public roads the BiB have no reason to hassle you. Not saying they won't try, but legally you are in the clear. :happy5:
and yet if your with local thais of note you can ride thru main road blocks on mx bikes while the local bib salute you :take-that:

cdrw

Oct 6, 2006
Maybe I've just been lucky...the cops have nicked me only twice in the last 7-years:

Years ago, I was once ticketed for knowingly going the wrong way, on a one-way street, upon leaving the old Pattaya Immigration shop on Soi-8
and turning onto Beach Rd. I was guilty and paid the fine at the police station.
And, a few years ago the Highway Police stopped me for allegedly speeding [of course I was!] on Hwy-24, in Issan. The cop was insistent
I pay a fine and I agreed if only he would _first_ give me a receipt for the fine. Of course he just wanted a bribe, saying I was to pay before he
wrote a receipt. Ah, sure, I'm not that gullible! Finally, I boldly said 'do you need some beer money?', and he said yes, so I gave him 100-Bt
and was on my way!

While I've been stopped a number of times in Pattaya as well as while touring around Thailand, I've yet to pay another bribe/fine.
Part of the reason may be that if you chat with the cop long and politely enough, he realizes that he's losing time and since time is money,
there are others that have been stopped that will more readily meet his demands just to be on their way.

My bikes are properly insured; I always wear a helmet and carry my current Thai license, copy of my passport and keep a copy
of the green book with each bike. Yep, I've been lucky....so far.

Nov 11, 2006
TonyBKK wrote: [quote quote=JohhnyE]What would be the story if you had a bike on a trailer heading for Bira, especially if it had been registered etc but now converted into a track bike?

OK thanks a lot Tony. Going to Bira on 26th December and didn't want to lose my bike. Also going to Thailand Circuit for a bit of a warm up next week.

Dec 27, 2007
JohhnyE wrote: [quote quote=TonyBKK][quote quote=JohhnyE]What would be the story if you had a bike on a trailer heading for Bira, especially if it had been registered etc but now converted into a track bike?

OK thanks a lot Tony. Going to Bira on 26th December and didn't want to lose my bike. Also going to Thailand Circuit for a bit of a warm up next week.
Cheers! Like I said, the bike is not required to be registered, taxed or insured if it's not being used on the road, but that's no guarantee the coppers won't try to shake you down all the same. Personally I've been lucky and not had a problem (knock on wood!).

What day you going to Thailand Circuit next week? I'd love to join you if I'm free.

Ride On!

Tony
ThailandCircuitER6nRRSept2010dSSR.jpg

Oct 17, 2006
When they have the big checkpoints in pattaya with tables its proper police paperwork, fines , impounding and no bribes unless you negotiate before the tables , but they are having a serious attempt to get more people licensed and legal as Its being directed from on high in Bangkok . sure it brings in more money but behind it are serious desires to sort something out ,top police officers jobs are on the line if they dont perform .

Sep 22, 2008
I'm not 100% sure but i think that for offroad bikes to be 100% legal. the 3% tax has to be paid. Otherwise IF its a customs road block they can take the bike!
Maybe worth checking...

Dec 27, 2007
2wheels wrote: Got it!
Stay 100% legal, ride on the wrong side of the road past the blocks and never stop at red lights!
:crazy:
From watching the locals I get the impression that there is not such thing as "wrong side of the road" in this country and that stopping for red lights is entirely optional... :lol-sign:

Dec 27, 2007
JohhnyE wrote: Tony - I'm driving down on Friday 3rd and at the track on Saturday 4th.
Aw, I was planning to take my son camping over the weekend and was hoping to hit the track on a weekday... Ah well, catch you next time! T