Poi Pet to Siem Reap (note: customs problems)

Aug 4, 2011
This morning i drove from bkk to poipet planning to make a short trip into Cambodia,

i had to renew my thai visa anyway so i thought it would be a good oppurtunity to go see angkor wat and pnomh penh.

But unfortunately they didn't let me enter with my kawa er6 , the bike is bought in thailand by me but i registred it in a friends name who lives in Thailand, although i brought all the original papers (green book, insurance etc.) they refused to let me in.

does anybody know if this was right or did i just have an officer with an off-day?

after doing some more research i found some things saying you can bring a rented bike into cambodia with papers from the rental company, but a bought bike has to be registred in your own name to cross the border?

regards
marco

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
dacuzzi;273543 wrote: This morning i drove from bkk to poipet planning to make a short trip into Cambodia,

i had to renew my thai visa anyway so i thought it would be a good oppurtunity to go see angkor wat and pnomh penh.

But unfortunately they didn't let me enter with my kawa er6 , the bike is bought in thailand by me but i registred it in a friends name who lives in Thailand, although i brought all the original papers (green book, insurance etc.) they refused to let me in.

does anybody know if this was right or did i just have an officer with an off-day?

after doing some more research i found some things saying you can bring a rented bike into cambodia with papers from the rental company, but a bought bike has to be registred in your own name to cross the border?

regards
marco
Marco
Sorry to hear you could not cross the border with your friend's bike.
If you take a look here
https://www.gt-rider.com/touring-information-overview/s-e-asian-border-crossings
you will see

Thailand Permission To Export: If the bike not registered in your name you need permission from the owner to export the bike temporarily. Otherwise as far as the officials are concerned you could be stealing the bike from the finance company whom you have not paid off yet, or your estranged wife / girlfriend / boyfriend / ex mate who no longer cares about you. Permission from the owner = a written consent Permission To Export form with both your & their & the bike details + signed copies of their valid (not expired) ID card & house registration.

You need permission from the legal owner of the bike to take it out of the country.

Aug 4, 2011
Davidfl;273548 wrote: Marco
Sorry to hear you could not cross the border with your friend's bike.
If you take a look here
https://www.gt-rider.com/touring-information-overview/s-e-asian-border-crossings
you will see

Thailand Permission To Export: If the bike not registered in your name you need permission from the owner to export the bike temporarily. Otherwise as far as the officials are concerned you could be stealing the bike from the finance company whom you have not paid off yet, or your estranged wife / girlfriend / boyfriend / ex mate who no longer cares about you. Permission from the owner = a written consent Permission To Export form with both your & their & the bike details + signed copies of their valid (not expired) ID card & house registration.

You need permission from the legal owner of the bike to take it out of the country.

thanks for your quick reply david, after reading it it sounds very reasonable ofcourse, and before i went i read a lot about visa and driving in Cambodja but I didn't see this article and somehow it never crossed my mind the registration in my friends name could become a problem, that is very unlike me and i am kind of angry on myself for not thinking about it and being stopped at the border for it.

But hey, if you don't succeed the first time try again right!

I will probably give it another go in a couple of weeks, this time with the necessary papers or together with the legal owner of the bike!

marco

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com