? re: nature of riding in Laos.

Dec 18, 2003
I've 6 weeks before I leave for my 3-month trip, and I'm starting to whittle down my ideas. As I've researched riding, particularly in Laos, I've come to understand that the vast majority of the riding there is on paved roads, which is a bit of a disappointment to me. Is this pretty well true? Does the scenery make up for the 1st(maybe 2nd)-world road conditions, or should I just visit Laos sans bike and plan further rides in Cambodia instead?

Any of those of you who have done riding in both Cambodia and Laos, I'd love to hear your opinions. Thanks in advance.

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
Having just returned from Laos (See Laos Expedition 2004) I can tell you, you will not be dissapointed. Yes there are many paved roads but if you want dirt it is also there in abundance. The paved roads are nice if you want to make time between one area to the next, but the villages one passes through are still not only 3rd world, but probably the same as they were 50 years ago.

When traveling the paved roads you still must always be aware and able to dodge the multitude of goats, chickens, cows, buffalo and people in the roadway. Take your time and stop and/or stay in the villages along the way. The people are the greatest when it comes to being friendly and making you feel like a celebrity. Read some of the other reports and I think you will not be disappointed.

I have no experience in Cambodia so I cannot say which would be the best, but with 6 weeks you could probably have enough time to do both.

Dave Early

Ever notice that "What the Heck!" is usually the right answer?