Replacing standard H7 55w headlamp bulb with 80w

Jun 4, 2011
Wanted to replace the standard 55w headlamp dip bulb with an 80w bulb, not for increased night vision, I never venture out at night on the bike. Purely for the fact, it's something I came across when tidying the other day and if it makes me more visible to 1 in 10,000 pick-up drivers then it's worth the 2 minutes to fit it.
So, was after the advice of someone who has done this with no problems/problems or a "sparky" with more electrical knowledge than myself.
I do not want to modify the wiring.......fitting relays......but do not want to take the chance of "frying" the standard wiring and switch....
Bike is a 2014 Kawasaki Z800
Bulb is a Ring Rallysport H7 80w (it is marked "safe for use in plastic headlamps")

Plug and Play.......or a no, no?

Many thanks in advance for any comments.

Aug 29, 2011
I don't think a 80w bulb would make any significant improvement in daylight hours.

High intensity LED daytime running lights are designed to work in daytime light! A pair of lights on the forks or a short strip of lights discreetly mounted under the headlight fairing might work. They are low wattage & don't drain your power, also anti-glare which works well at dust/night.

The Thai headlight & sound system shops usually have a wide variety copy Audi/BMW style short strips to play with!

This website shows a few examples:
http://www.bikevis.com/motorcycle-led-ultimate-running-light-pods.html

Oct 17, 2006
PIAA or Osram nightbreakers ot phillips Extreme are normal wattage but 50% brighter they are the way to go with no risk to wiring or need of relays , i have them in my Ducatis ,

I have experimented with HID light kits too ,, but not that much different from the Phillips Extremes I have used and no need for ballasts

Jun 4, 2011
Thanks for the comments...

Best option, not risk the higher wattage (80w)....will go for those PIAA/Osram or similar...standard 55w but higher output ..

Jun 4, 2011
Many thanks guys for your comments and time...

Didn't want to risk 80w...or turn the bike into a Christmas tree...have gone for H7 55w OSRAM Night Breakers Unlimited...("Up to" : 110% more light, 40m longer beam and 20% whiter light).....

For Info. and anybody else looking to upgrade, ordered from www.powerbulbs.com ...in the UK.....huge selection....some good discounts off MRRP and free delivery to Thailand.
Cost 15.96 GBP for a twin pack (approx. 850฿).......