motorcycle + s.e. asia = adventure

S.E Asia motorcycle touring forums – highlighting the ultimate antidote to a humdrum existence!

Rock and Roll Off -road

Discussion in 'Touring Northern Thailand - Trip Reports Forum' started by saxonator, May 7, 2010.

1. Another exciting ride lies behind us and we managed to find some more new tracks. As usual we didn't bring a gps – so we only can say it's between Samoeng and Doi Kahm. Pretty hot those days to go out riding out in the jungle – but some new tracks and you quickly forget about that.

One of our highlights was a rocky passage between the main road and the off-road track. First of all we wanted to turn around – but I couldn't resist walking up there and having a look. It was to beautiful to let this opportunity go and so I decide to give it a go. Still not knowing, where we would come out – I took all my stamina to get up there, it was tough with the XR's getting up there, but with a little help from both sides we managed to get the bikes up there.

I must admit at the peak I was running out of air and needed to cool down a little. After that I should explore the way, if it was really worth going there. After 10 minutes I became back to report the good news to George. Yes there's a main road about 5 km's from here.

On my way back I realized that my gear lever wasn't doing what it was supposed to and changing gears was impossible. We tried to find a solution, but the only way to get going was with a loose clutch and the 3 rd gear in – not the best way to do steep climbs, but at the end it worked and I really hope it didn't do any damage to my clutch.

After dropping the bike of at a road side workshop, we went for lunch for an hour. Then back to the shop, but the mechanic didn't come yet, so I decided to get back to Chiang Mai and fix it there.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry for the bad quality of the pictures, they are taken from the video footage and are not very great, but you get an idea...na.