Safety Modifications for Honda 500X

May 30, 2015
Hi All
I ride a Honda 500X , in the Hua Hin area
Like all of you out here in Thailand I sometimes cringe at the Lack of safety on Thai roads
so I always try to ride as safe as possible
but my question to you all is

WHAT SAFETY MODIFICATIONS WOULD YOU MAKE TO MY BIKE TO MAKE RIDING AS SAFE AS POSSIBLE

I like to tour around thailand and want to enjoy safe riding,
also can anyone recommend a good motorbike garage for modifications and repairs in Hua Hin ? Pranburi area

thanks to you all

Billy

Aug 13, 2007
Thailand
I like extra day time running lights for extra visibility, a modulator for the rear brake light that makes it flash the first few seconds when you brake and a load horn.

jimboy

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Sep 28, 2010
South-East Asia
www.asserogear.com
Hua Hin;305764 wrote: I like extra day time running lights for extra visibility, a modulator for the rear brake light that makes it flash the first few seconds when you brake and a load horn.
+1 for all of the above. If you fit daylight running lights (DRL), there's some quite thought provoking material on, ""Inattentional Blindness" & Conspicuity." The key concept lies in the first paragraph, "Inattentional blindness is not a mental aberration; it is the norm. Conscious perception is the abnormality." There's a lot of research that indicates DRL's do decrease the motorcycle accident rate but not by as much as one would hope (c.10%, research summaries here and here, both .pdf's).

Furthermore, motorcycles tend not to "loom" in the eye/brain of other road users; "The human eye picks up and perceives X-motion much easier than it does Z-motion. Looming is the rate of expansion of an object that is exhibiting Z-motion. An object will double in size with each halving of the distance from the viewing point. Due to the small front profile of a motorcycle when it is coming towards you from a distance its perceptual size does not increase as rapidly as a larger vehicle and so the human eye has trouble perceiving that the object is approaching." See also, "DeLucia, P. R. (2013) Effects of size on collision perception and implications for perceptual theory and transportation safety. Current Directions in Psychological Science, 22, 199-204."

There is a technique of "weaving" on the approach to a T junction which draws attention to a bike. Similarly, road positioning can help a great deal. Riding on the outside third of a lane around a left hand corner can increase both the rider's field of view and his visibility to traffic that may be pulling out from a junction on his left.

For the 500X you might consider fitting high quality soft compound tyres. A large percentage of motorcycle accidents are single vehicle accidents, the result of "unforced driver error" such as going too fast into a corner. Modern motorcycle tyres provide superb grip which in the rain is something you might be grateful for. Thai roads don't have the specially engineered surfaces of European or American roads.

Ride safe!

Jonf

Jun 10, 2015
I have a CB500X to and i'm considering an exhaust change just to give me a little more volume/presence whilst going through traffic ....

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
For the 500X you might consider fitting high quality soft compound tyres. A large percentage of motorcycle accidents are single vehicle accidents, the result of "unforced driver error" such as going too fast into a corner. Modern motorcycle tyres provide superb grip which in the rain is something you might be grateful for. Thai roads don't have the specially engineered surfaces of European or American roads.
The 500X comes equipped with Pirelli Scorpion Trails. Arguably, one of the best and most popular tires for this type of motorcycle. Don't change them unless you have a very good reason.

May 30, 2015
Yes its something i have been thinking about, any recommendations on a BETTER exhaust ?
thanks for your advice….
safe riding to you

May 30, 2015
Good advice… sometimes we change things for no real reason, all things considered, i am a steady rider … when would you suggest i change my tyres ?
I have done 16,000 km on the same new set of tyres, on average when is good to change
thanks for you help

May 30, 2015
thought provoking, many thanks , i take on board all you have said, anything and everything to enjoy safe riding
Running lights are now a priority for me along with additional headlights Horn brakes and exhaust
I have adopted a little weaving as i approach T Junctions ? X roads and yes it seems to register on other car drivers
Once again many thanks
safe and enjoyable riding to you

May 30, 2015
Hua Hin;305764 wrote: I like extra day time running lights for extra visibility, a modulator for the rear brake light that makes it flash the first few seconds when you brake and a load horn.
Good advice thanks
I live in Pranburi area
Can you recommend a good garage to buy and competently fit theses parts ?

Thanks for your help

Jonf

Jun 10, 2015
coolchang;305937 wrote: Yes its something i have been thinking about, any recommendations on a BETTER exhaust ?
thanks for your advice….
safe riding to you
I haven't really looked into it in much detail yet, but if you come across anything good before me please let me know!