seasonal -boring!- burnings

Sep 1, 2011
If you scroll down to post #16 on this page (web fire tracker) you will see that almost all fire activity stops at the Malaysian/Thai border. Obviously, the Malaysians take environmental protection a little more seriously than authorities in Thailand.

In the Northern Territory in Oz, seasonal burning was once a big problem. The government enacted strict laws regarding burn-offs and the problem virtually disappeared overnight. It is simply a matter of political will. The means may not be so easy here, and people will cite the problems of poor farmers endlessly. The cost of these fires to health, the environment and the economy is massive. A redistribution of the savings, when unauthorised fires are outlawed, to boost agribusiness efficiency would more than compensate for the immediate and unnecessary short term gains enabled by indiscriminate burning.

And, it would certainly be welcomed by the motorcycle community.

Feb 1, 2012
Not sure how long ago your talking about the NT Ozjourno but i lived and worked out in the center for nearly 15 years from 1986 though to 2000 building bush and the locals" would start fires when there car broke down hunting or anything for that mater some burned for months you could see the fire at night as it moved daily across the horizon.

Sep 1, 2011
Serious environmental concerns were raised over the years culminating in new government policy regarding the seasonal burn off in about 05. The skies around the Top End which had been a mess of smoke and ash for years started clearing by a sizeable annual margin each Dry. There is still a problem around Katherine and to a lesser extent in Tennant Creek, but Darwinites are breathing clean air all year around. Despite my 8 months now in Thailand, I remain a Territorian and confess to missing the Top End more than I could have imagined.

CBR250

Mar 3, 2011
My first time doing the MHS loop next weekend and I guess it's going to be a smokey one. :(

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
CBR250;278002 wrote: My first time doing the MHS loop next weekend and I guess it's going to be a smokey one. :(
You won't know until you get here.There are actually good days & bad days; but they may well be throwing water by next weekend & that could be be a new experience for you.

CBR250

Mar 3, 2011
Na, been here 6 years already, that's about 5 songkrans too many.

Songkran 2012 is the following weekend, not this weekend. :)

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Lotsa rain in Mae Hong Son last night.
A big hail storm in Mae Chaem this arvo.
So it could be about the time the weather;'s changing with the smoke & fires going.

Mae Hong Son this morning

R108 heading south from Mae Hong Son

note the blue sky please.:thumbup: