DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Peter
Good on ya mate for clearing the air.
I for one sincerely hope things work out ok for you & that you can eventually get back into the motorbike business doing what you love, and providing us with the same old reliable service that the GT Riders had come used to = you have our support.

Davidfl
Keep The Power On

Rhodie

Mar 5, 2006
Having gone down the official dealer biking route and found that a frustrating & infuriating experience, trying to spend good money for poor service.
You kindly put me straight on trying to import a new Triumph, many months ago.
I fully empathise with your trying to provide western standards of service in the land where customer care is summed up by three letters: NFI.
A hat-tip for all your efforts and I hope it is not too long before you're up and running again.
Though staff appear to be a perenial problem whatever biz you are in.
Good luck from a fellow colonial.
Rhodie

Jul 28, 2004
Currently in the Philippines Peter but very sad to hear about the current state of affairs. Really hope that things turn around and that those responsible get their come-uppance. Best of luck for the future, Peter. Barry Neves

BNeves

tomm

Sep 28, 2006
never trust anyone in bussiness, keep your eyes in the right place and it's the way it is .

mussen

Nov 14, 2005
Peter's story is a sad one. It is shocking to see the way 'unconnected' people are treated in Thailand, and it is a hard lesson in business for Peter, or any one in the same situation.

As seen here, being 'Officers of the Law' is only a title for a lot of cops here.

So far we have heard a sad story about how Peter was ripped off, and then threatened. Also how his family were threatened. We have heard about the dishonest employees, and their continuing scams. We have heard about the corrupt cops and the 'main man' in the scam. But you're missing one thing Peter, the main ingredient for any successful business, the customer. Peter, do you have any words for those of us who have paid for something we have not received? I paid for a bike complete with a green book. Sure my bike was not a 500K Baht sportsbike nor tourer, so maybe it was looked on as less important, nonetheless I did pay for something that I have not received. Any word on if and how you plan to reimburse those of us who have been left in this situation? If your encounters have put you so far in the s**t, that all you can think about now is how you and your family are going to get back on track, then fine, let us know and we can look for other options on how to get books for our bikes. If this is the case at least have the decency to tell us, and then we know where we stand. I’m sure I am not the only one who has had to postpone or cancel cross border trips due to not having the book for our bike.

So to sum it all up Peter, an apology is nice, but doesn’t help get our books, so in the end, really I don’t give a s**t for an apology. What I am looking for, short of a registered bike, is your plans, if you have any, or any other options we can take. I’m a pretty fair guy, and could have easily taken a nastier approach to this. But I’m hoping that with communication, and some effort, Peter, myself and others in the same situation as me can work toward getting their bikes on the road legally and contributing to the reports on this great forum.

Tirak

Aug 25, 2004
Peter,

I sincerely sympathize with your story and am very sorry to hear of your troubles. I too am a small business owner.

However, I recently purchased my ticket to Thailand and wanted to square things away with you. I have paid a very large deposit on a XR 650R and you registered it in Jan/Feb under Meriya Phaengphon.

I have planned this 2 month trip for 1 year, around having this motorcycle which i have purchased and licensed. Please update me. I have sent several emails without a reply. I will be there late November.

Sincerely,

~Eric

mussen

Nov 14, 2005
quote:

Originally posted by Tirak

Peter,

I sincerely sympathize with your story and am very sorry to hear of your troubles. I too am a small business owner.

However, I recently purchased my ticket to Thailand and wanted to square things away with you. I have paid a very large deposit on a XR 650R and you registered it in Jan/Feb under Meriya Phaengphon.

I have planned this 2 month trip for 1 year, around having this motorcycle which i have purchased and licensed. Please update me. I have sent several emails without a reply. I will be there late November.

Sincerely,

~Eric

Hi Eric, according to Peter that bikes gone, one of the bikes stolen by the bad boys in brown. I saw it in the shop there and asked Peter if it was still for sale and he said no, it had a deposit paid on it. The next week it was gone, and he said it had been reposessed.

Cheers.

samson

Jun 9, 2005
Anybody now what happend with my bike. I left it with Peter when i went back home it was a red suzuki djebel.
Notting bad about Peter,was always nice to do business with .
jum is the ****er

Mar 11, 2004
[. I’m a pretty fair guy, and could have easily taken a nastier approach to this. But I’m hoping that with communication, and some effort, Peter, myself and others in the same situation as me can work toward getting their bikes on the road legally and contributing to the reports on this great forum.

Brett, Nastier approach! Please, give me the details I might be able to use them on Jum?

Re Eric's XR 650, have spoken to you by phone and hopeful we will get satisfactory conclusion.

The situation is that currently I am drained financially, primarily because I spent my reserves on making reparations. At present I have 3 bikes left to sell when I get them in running state. Also have 2 other bikes I "MAY" be able to recover. These were bikes that were just STOLEN, after the initial onslaught by the police. I kept the shop open but they came back and helped them selves (while I was away) a couple more times. I am in the process of taking legal action to try to recover these bikes but success is not a given. If I can sell the bikesI have, and if I can recover the other 2 I can pretty much produce an almost satisfactory result for everyone. Therefore my plans for the immediate future are still a little uncertain, as it depends on the result.
In this respect, I was dealt a real blow when the bikes (05 Hornet, 05 GSXR 1000 and 03 R1) I thought I have safely stored away at my friends place where knocked off.

I received a phone call on Tuesday from a Thai who had paid a deposit of 100K to Jum, only 3 weeks ago, well after he had been exposed on The Thai site Motocy.com, asking if I would return his deposit. So somehow he is still managing to suck in the occasional person even though he has gone into hiding and the whole Thai biking community knows about this debacle and the damage he has caused.

So Brett, while I fully empathise with yr comments (apologies not enough etc) If you have anything constructive to add, maybe you are aware of a course of action that I am not, believe me, I am all ears.
I am as keen as anybody to resolve to everyone’s satisfaction. The means to do so is not immediately obvious to me.

Lastly, I really do appreciate the many calls and PM's of support from the good guys at GT riders.

mussen

Nov 14, 2005
Ok Peter, if any of us who are missing books or bikes can help my laying charges in the event that things will get done, please let us know.

As I said before, looks like this will have to be a group effort, and hopefully if we can all pitch in then it may take some of the load off you, and make things happen quicker.

Please do keep us informed via this forum or by phone.

Jul 17, 2006
"I am as keen as anybody to resolve to everyone’s satisfaction."

Dear Peter,
reading many opinions and talking to some insiders in Bangkok I don't know what to think of you and the way you did your business.

You know that I fully paid my D-Tracker on january 28 this year and that I still have no papers (even no copy!), no registration and no name of the previous owner (you mentioned to be there) who I could contact for at least some information on my (?) bike.
I still don't know if the bike is legally in Thailand, if it was registered here before and if I can believe in any of the excuses you told me over more than 8 months.

I really hope that you and your family are ok and I wish to believe in the good words of people who seem to know you for a long time.
Still you have to prove your honesty to me and provide me with everything I paid for. Leaving your obligations behind like this makes me expect the worst. So where are my papers? Do they really exist? A little truth is the least I and every other customer can expect from you! So please contact me ...

The others in this forum may blame me for my naivity to believe in Peter's "explanations" for such a long time. I'll take that blame but Peter should be redfaced about it, I won't!

Update:
I just found out that the bike came from Mr. T-Bike and has been registered under the name of the manager before. So it's not stolen and possibly legal. But where are the papers?
Tomorrow I will go to the Department of Land Transport and see if anyone knows something about them.
I'll keep you posted on the result, but would very much appreciate some help from Peter ...
Peter: Please

mussen

Nov 14, 2005
Peter, is the department of land transport an option? If we go there and explain the situation, what would the response/ process be?

Rhodie

Mar 5, 2006
Winston
Here are Mr T-Bike's details as listed on BKK Riders website:

Big bikes, Arai Helmets, jackets, boots, accessories, etc.
Sunday Closed 213/13-14 Rama 3
Tel 02-294-0261 (-0262), 02-683-4202
Fax 02-683-04201
GPS: N13.67417/E100.54280

They are a well established business here in BKK, owned by a Chinese Thai family. The shop has a preponderance of old BMWs which I believe are the old man's - including a strange combination side-car outfit. They are also the main importer of touratech & wunderlich parts at high prices.
A mate of mine bought a super tenere from them recently, and found them pretty uninterested in bargaining on what was a steepish price.
They were also very slow in producing the green book and needed constant prodding. But this was due to a disinterest in customer service, rather than dishonesty.
Don't however expect them to do you any favours, especially if they can see an opportunity coming their way.
I have had dealings with them buying TT parts- not cheap. But mainly through their authorised BMW bike dealership, BKK Motorcycles. Customer service again does not feature in the way that they conduct biz and I won't be using them again.
I cancelled an order yesterday for a new bike as a consequence of a moveable price, changing specs and slipping delivery dates. Even after paying them the money in full!
Finally, the standard of english at Mr T-Bikes is so very low, as to make any trip without taking a Thai speaker along with you, a pointless journey.
Forewarned is forearmed!
Good-luck.
Rhodie

Jul 17, 2006
Hi Merkamouse and Rhodie (& Peter),
today I went to the Department of Land Transport but they did not know anything about my papers. The bike is in their computer because it was registered before but no new application for a registration ever got to them. I went to the Sukhumvit branch which is close to Siamsuperbike (used to be) but the papers could be at another branch. It would be nice if Peter can let us know where he handed in the papers, or not?
Some Thai colleagues at my company helped me very much and I went with a Thai colleague who knows some higher officials at the Department.
The lady in charge of motorcycle registration was very helpfull and it seems possible that I can register my bike myself.
I need some paperwork to be signed by the previous owner at Mr. T-Bike who is willing to help me as well.
I also have to go to the company which imported the bike and even they are willing to help.
So all of you in this forum: think twice before you blame thai people for any reason. So far everybody on their side is trying to help and it's a farang who promised much!
And let's be honest: up to now I still wait for Peter to declare that all the bikes (and registrations he promised!) he personally sold are o.k. and that he himself never tricked his customers.
I don't expect any help from him any more and try to do it myself. Maybe I can break the ice at the Department which will hopefully help others to get their registration.
I'll keep you posted and still declare Peter responsible for most of the mess...

mussen

Nov 14, 2005
quote:

Originally posted by winston

Hi Merkamouse and Rhodie (& Peter),
today I went to the Department of Land Transport but they did not know anything about my papers. The bike is in their computer because it was registered before but no new application for a registration ever got to them. I went to the Sukhumvit branch which is close to Siamsuperbike (used to be) but the papers could be at another branch. It would be nice if Peter can let us know where he handed in the papers, or not?
Some Thai colleagues at my company helped me very much and I went with a Thai colleague who knows some higher officials at the Department.
The lady in charge of motorcycle registration was very helpfull and it seems possible that I can register my bike myself.
I need some paperwork to be signed by the previous owner at Mr. T-Bike who is willing to help me as well.
I also have to go to the company which imported the bike and even they are willing to help.
So all of you in this forum: think twice before you blame thai people for any reason. So far everybody on their side is trying to help and it's a farang who promised much!
And let's be honest: up to now I still wait for Peter to declare that all the bikes (and registrations he promised!) he personally sold are o.k. and that he himself never tricked his customers.
I don't expect any help from him any more and try to do it myself. Maybe I can break the ice at the Department which will hopefully help others to get their registration.
I'll keep you posted and still declare Peter responsible for most of the mess...

Hi Winston, good to hear you're making some forward progress. Please keep us informed of any future details when you have time, sounds like the department of land transport can be an option, however I'm not sure about finding the previous owner for mine.

Peter, do you know who the previous owner of my bike was (contact details for them?)

Cheers.

Sep 19, 2006
www.chiangmai-xcentre.com
Hello Peter,
I don't know much apart from what i have read but have you ever though of shifting up here to Chiang Mai and Start again? I am sure alot of people would help you out and support you, I certainly would and i don't even Know you!!! People are the same everywhere but a little less here i think. Worth a look.
Cheers Ian.

IFR

Jul 17, 2006
Hi Peter,
thank you for calling me back.

I just tried to find information on the frame and motor numbers of my D-Tracker. The engine number goes back to a D-Tracker engine of a 2003 model and this engine was brought to Thailand legally as spare part.
But the frame does not belong to a D-Tacker. It seems to be from a 1988 Kawasaki Eliminator. This fits with the information of Khun Boonchai from Mr. T-Bike, who sold this frame/no D-Tracker! some time ago.
His bike/frame was registered in 2542 for the last time.

So what you suspected (that my bike has not been registered before) seems to be true. Someone used the old frame number, hammered it into a D-Tracker frame and put in a legal engine.

I don't expect that there are any legal papers yet and what I bought is surely an illegal bike (= illegal frame/motor combination).

Let's wait what can be done about it. I can't do anything myself and I totally depend on your ability to solve the Problem. Hopefully you can manage to find a way, otherwise I would have wasted 150.000,- Baht for the bike + about 20.000,- Baht on new tyres, a rack and a racing exhaust.

I really hope that you can put yourself into a position where we can talk about a satisfying solution.
Please keep me posted ...
Holger

Kyle

Jan 1, 2004
wow and wow! amazingly hard story to swallow mate. As one hoping to return and live forever in the Kingdom, these are sobering lessons. I recommended many to Siam and because of articles I wrote I get requests for where to buy good bikes in Thailand. I will continue to send them ur way. let us know when u have ur new shop up and running.

mikerust

Subscribed
Nov 5, 2003
Just thinking or am I a bit slow here?

We should all keep out eyes open for any of the bikes Peter had stolen to see if they turn up in any other shops or on any other websites.

If the thieves don't ride them eventually they will surface maybe repainted with Akropovic pipes on or whatever. More likely as rentals in Pattaya but....

Rigger

Oct 26, 2006
^ Then what are you going to do. About the only thing you could do is try and steal them back which I dont think would be a good idea. Unless he still has all the paper work but this would still lead to more trouble for him and his family.

Oct 29, 2006
Peter,that is one big horror story. I too have no aspirations on setting up a business here. Any one down here in Bangkok looking for a motorcycle, I thought I would include a little report. I bought my honda AX1 250 for around 47,000 baht from Terra Motorcycles in Bkk near MBK. I have gone back quite a bit and those guys have been nice to me and been able to get parts. They specialize in second hand bikes from Japan and they have a lot of very nice big bikes in there, honda 929 RR.s, gsxr 750,s, although those bike are personally way to big for me to ride in Thailand, although would be great in the open highway. The guy I deal with at terra motorcyle shop is Alex and his cell number is 018053010 and the shop is located near the National Stadium BTS and somewhat close to MBK Shopping plaza. Peace out! Tim

Rigger

Oct 26, 2006
quote:

Originally posted by enduro250

Peter,that is one big horror story. I too have no aspirations on setting up a business here. Any one down here in Bangkok looking for a motorcycle, I thought I would include a little report. I bought my honda AX1 250 for around 47,000 baht from Terra Motorcycles in Bkk near MBK. I have gone back quite a bit and those guys have been nice to me and been able to get parts. They specialize in second hand bikes from Japan and they have a lot of very nice big bikes in there, honda 929 RR.s, gsxr 750,s, although those bike are personally way to big for me to ride in Thailand, although would be great in the open highway. The guy I deal with at terra motorcyle shop is Alex and his cell number is 018053010 and the shop is located near the National Stadium BTS and somewhat close to MBK Shopping plaza. Peace out! Tim

Just dont get your bike serviced there as they serviced my TLR when I bought it from them and it burst the oil filter at hi speed and could of killed me as I had been riding hard. I stoped at my mates place a few minutes later and he notice a small leak on the left hand side of the bike when I looked at the left hand side it was covered in oil and so was the back wheel. On closer inspection the filter had been tighten with some sort of multi graps and had been crushed [:(!]. After this the only Thai I would let near any of my bikes would be Subanan in Khon kaen

mussen

Nov 14, 2005
quote:

Originally posted by Rigger

...the only Thai I would let near any of my bikes would be Subanan in Khon kaen

Hi Rigger, where in Khon Khen are they located?

Rigger

Oct 26, 2006
He is near fairy plazer. Go past the water lake side of fairy plazer and take your first or second right not sure and follow the road down and just before you get to the Y juction on the right is his new shop. He does good work and sells nice low klm bikes. I think he he only works on his bikes he has sold but I maybe wrong about that. His number is 097105850