Siem Reap to Phnom Penh via the North East; road conditions?

Axel_F

Jun 13, 2009
Planning a trip in the dry season from Siem Reap to Phnomh Penh, via the North East.

Some of the posts and info on the web are likely to be outdated given the extensive roadworks in the past few years.

Does anybody know the current state (and estimated travel times)? Are the assumptions below for example correct?

Route 66 – Siem Reap to Preah Khan/Phnom Daik:

Mainly Packed Dirt. Rutted or sandy on some parts. Road also accessible to cars. Fairly easy in the dry season.
6 hours

Phnomh Daik to Stung Treng:
Until halfway: Small Dirt Road. Rutted. Medium hard. Last 60km: trails, fairly easy to get lost.
8 hours

Stung Treng to Banlung:
Easy option is to take Route 78. Is this paved? 4 hours.
Alternative routes available?

Banlung to Koh Nhek (Death Highway):
Trails, Jungle, River Crossings. Fairly hard in the dry season. Not possible/recommended during the wet.
6 hours

How about the alternative route further east (taking a turn to the east at Lumpat; basically travelling the Ho Chi Minh Trail)?

Koh Nhek to Sen Monorom:
Packed dirt, Rutted Roads. Not too many surprises.
3 hours

Sen Monorom to Snuol:
Is the main road all sealed these days? 3,5 hours?

Backroute, 308: I understand this was very difficult in the past, but conditions may have improved. 7 hours?

Snuol to Kampong Cham:
(via Kratie) Sealed road to Kratie, then the packed dirt road to Kampong Cham alongside the river; avoiding the highway. 2 hours to Kratie; Kratie to Kampong Cham another 3,5 hours.
Is there a backroute to Kampong Cham?

Axel_F

kanuck

Sep 12, 2009
I plan on doing the exact same route, but in reverse order and without the route 66 portion to SR in late January. So I second any current updates for these areas. The info would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

Dec 8, 2011
Hello everybody,

its a year later now :)
We want to take the same route and are wondering about the same as you a year ago: How are the road conditions?

Did you take the route in the end? If so it would be nice if you could tell us about the road conditions.

Thank you very much!

Sherrie & Patrick
Riding home the crazy way
Germany to Newfoundland - and the world in between
Unser neues Buch ist da:
Iceland - A Stormy Motorcycle Adventure
unleashyouradventure.com