Smokin in Hang Dong!

Size15

Apr 5, 2005
I left Bangkok early Sunday morning to hit CNX and join David and the group for the boat trip to Laos. Traffic was light and I was making very good time - top speeds averaged 160-180. When I got to Thoen I decided to take the 106 because I was bored with taking the 11, even though it is faster. Somewhere south of Hang Dong I hit a big enough bump to cause the top case on my R1200GS to jump out of its locked in position.

The expandable top case for the GS is an excellent idea that was very poorly executed. They have a long history of flying off the back of the bike. For this reason, I always kept a strong bungee over the top of it. In fact, I was on my second top case because the first broke.

When I stopped for a red light in Hang Dong I was quickly overtaken by a cloud of acrid blue smoke coming from the back of my bike. I ran the light and pulled over at the first available spot. The top case was smoking like a chimney and I ran inside the photo shop to get some water to cool things off.

55356309-S.jpg

55356311-S.jpg

55356305-S.jpg

55356307-S.jpg

The top case had fallen of the back edge of the bike and was about caught 2 inches from the exhaust. In addition blowing a hole in the top case and one through the left side case, I also lost everything that was in the top case. It must have been quite a sight to see me blasting down the highway, fanning the flames as I went!

Needless to say, my first day in CNX was spent buying clothes and toiletries.

I have 1st class insurance so I will get new cases eventually but I'm not sure I'd recommend that anyone else try them! I do heartily recommend the "Rock Strap" bungee that held the case on the back of the bike.

Funny as hell now, but at the time I wasn't very happy at all.

Barry

If I wasn't doing this, I'd be doing something else...

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Barry
Great report & somewhat hilarious - glad it was you & your bike, not me & mine.
I've got a GT Rider nickname for you now = Barry BBQ!
Now in Laos I'll have to keep an eye out for the photo shops, just in case we need to make an emergency stop for you.

Davidfl
Keep The Power On

Size15

Apr 5, 2005
Thanks David, reserve that name for me and I'll put another top case on the barbie.

Barry

If I wasn't doing this, I'd be doing something else...