Stallions Ct400 - Sticky Throttle

Maha

Oct 7, 2009
Got myself a Stallions CT400 last Friday and basically very happy with it. Simple, easy to drive and power is just what you would expect from the engine. Seems like a great bike for what I got it for.

Only odd thing I noticed so far is a “sticky” throttle. When driving and changing gears, the engine keeps the rpm up while you turn of the gas to switch gears. It will last maybe a second or less, but it is noticeable when changing gears or when just turning off the gas to use engine brake. The first second or less the engine still pulls before the throttle is really turned off and you get normal engine brake. Mechanically the throttle is releasing normally both in the handle bar and in the EFI body, so I’m guessing it has something to do with the EFI controller that maybe still providing fuel to the engine. Also the check-the-engine red warning light in the dashboard is very slightly illuminated during normal use. Not bright as when you turn the ignition on and not yet start the engine, just a small glow that one can only see in dark. Didn’t have time to ask the dealer yet about this as I’m travelling now, but will ask.

Meanwhile, did anyone else experience the same sticky throttle issue and have any fix for it?

Sep 19, 2006
www.chiangmai-xcentre.com
Take it back to the Dealer and get them to Check it on the Computer? My Triumph did that after the Last Service! I took it straight back to the Shop and they got onto it and fixed it in 10 minutes what ever it was?

Maha

Oct 7, 2009
Thanks for the comment. Took it back to the dealer I bought it from. Unfortunately it seems the Stallions dealers are not really equiped with any sort of computer analysis tools for the bike. They check few (mechanical) things and blamed bad gasoline. But I'm pretty sure it's not the gasoline as it is always happening and latest I noticed that when the engine gets really hot, the problem disappears. Really hot means slow city traffic. Even at highway it's cool enough for the problem to happen. Maybe something to do with the EFI engine temperature setting or the engine temperature sensor?

It's an inconvinience, but will keep on driving and see how it is and someone will figure out solution.

Last edited:

Maha

Oct 7, 2009
Just to update the latest, I took the bike for an oil change in the same dealer I bought it. After changing the oil, they immediately started to work with the throttle body (without me asking them to do anything other than the oil change), took it out and opened it. After about 10min work (no idea what they did, mechanical work probably, possibly looking for an air leakage) they put it back and like magic, the sticky throttle problem was gone. Probably some instructions from the manufacturer or they learned by themselves??

So if anyone has the same issue, there seems to be a cure.

Last edited:

RZ4

Jan 9, 2018
I am sort of pleased to see a Stallions mentioned on this website and good to see the overall positive feedback in this article. I like the stallions bikes, cheap chinese made machines that give value for money as long as you look after them and keep ones expectations to the lower end of the scale. I have a 150cc stallions machine witha YBR clone engine. Has taken me and my worldly goods on a tour of northern thailand (commencing bang saray with the firt stop in koh chang - yes the wrong way,but it is a tour) with a brief interlude into Cambodia (Siem Reap), presently north of Chiang Rai and heading south. I just love the fact that my total investment is less than some might spend on a luggage system yet gives me a great view of my environment.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
I am sort of pleased to see a Stallions mentioned on this website and good to see the overall positive feedback in this article. I like the stallions bikes, cheap chinese made machines that give value for money as long as you look after them and keep ones expectations to the lower end of the scale. I have a 150cc stallions machine witha YBR clone engine. Has taken me and my worldly goods on a tour of northern thailand (commencing bang saray with the firt stop in koh chang - yes the wrong way,but it is a tour) with a brief interlude into Cambodia (Siem Reap), presently north of Chiang Rai and heading south. I just love the fact that my total investment is less than some might spend on a luggage system yet gives me a great view of my environment.

It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.
The biggest best fastest most modern often doesn't mean that you see anymore or even ride anymore than others.
The slower you go the more you see and the more you learn perhaps .
Keep going on what you got . You're riding and having a great time. Well done.
Power on with what you've got .

Lee

Sep 1, 2003
Glad you got it sorted...my first thought was air leak. the computer would be trying to match what the air sensor was reading thereby giving it more fuel even when you shut the throttle off. The clue was that it didn't happen when it got hot. Heat expansion prolly closed the leak somewhat.

Happy trails.

Maha

Oct 7, 2009
I also think it was probably a air leak that caused the sticky throttle problem. If it ever comes back will check for it.

And for the other discussion I fully agree it doesn’t really matter what you drive as long as you drive. I have two bikes, the CT400 and a KTM 690 Enduro. Two very different bikes, but I like to drive both of them!

Reactions: hs0zfe