Stopping visa run abuse a good step

Mar 30, 2010
Bangkok Post

Not about biking but has caused a stir recently in the Expat community.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opinion/410356/stopping-visa-run-abuse-a-good-step

They did something like this about 5 years ago.. everyone panicked then with in months it all calmed down again.

The point I like best in this article. Crack down with no improvement in the process for those that want to or are legitimate.
By the time you finish signing the documents your signature looks nothing like the first page when you are at page 70 or 80 of the forms and counter signing.

Cheers
Brian

Attached files

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
And the quote from the chief of Immigration, according to the Bangok Post, is that the crackdown has occured because of visa abuse by Koreans, Russians & Vietnamese.

Power On. sent from Sony Xperia AcroS

Jan 4, 2014
I have to agree. None of us appreciate foreigners in our own countries abusing the system so we shouldn't too whilst here in Thailand. I know that as foreigners we get nothing in return for staying here in terms of health care or government benefits but we have made our choices. If we don't like it then we should choose to live elsewhere. Long-term residents are not tourists and shouldn't be using visas designated for those travellers to the Kingdom.

I remember the changes in the law 5 years ago well as I was working in Vieng Chan at the time. I was a Tesco Lotus tourist to Nong Khai but the long-term residents in Thailand had abused the system sufficiently that all suffered - shopping trips had to be planned with military precision!

We know Thailand's not perfect and tough times are ahead when the ASEAN employment laws come into affect next year, but life here is good for us, let's never forget that! :lol: