Stranded in Saraburi

lmacka

Jun 14, 2009
Something shat itself in my engine yesterday. I managed to get the bike to Saraburi where Honda has to order in 19 different parts to fix it. 8000 baht damage to the wallet.
I believe it's due to an expensive and ineffective service I had done in Laos. The place was called "Fuark Motocross Service" in Vientiane, Laos. Among a few other things, he changed my oil to something other than what I regularly use. When we drained the engine about 150-200mls of oil came out. Nowhere near the expected 1L.

I'm not one to point fingers but I can't see any other reason for my piston to have jammed and be scratched to shit, control arm snapping and everything else going to hell.

Obviously I'm not pleased but there's not a lot I can do about it now. I've told the guy here (name is X and will post the dealership address later - he's VERY helpful) to order the parts from BKK and fix the bike. It'll take a few days.
In the mean time, I'm sitting in my hotel room trying to work out what to do. Does anyone live here? Know anyone who lives here? I can't find any farang places to hang out. Thinking of getting a bus to BKK or Pattaya for a week if all else. Thoughts?

lmacka

Jun 14, 2009
A couple of photos...

I broke down between Khorat and Saraburi right out the front of a concrete pole manufacturing plant. I was greeted by the biggest and blackest Thai I've ever seen...
Turns out the boss spoke English and recruited one of the lads to take me into town. He didn't speak English and my Thai is only basic, so it was a fairly quiet trip.

p7280084.jpg

After a couple of hours at Honda my engine was on the ground and a bunch of mechanics were admiring its internal damage. The boss here also spoke English (X). Before telling me anything about the engine, he told me that the guy working on my bike wasn't actually a guy. This got me laughing!

p7280087.jpg

Only two pics sorry - was too busy watching what he was doing.

Dougal

Dec 18, 2007
Sorry for your predicament Imacka. Happens to the best of us.

I've only used Saraburi as a stop over and there aint much there as you know.
If its going to be several days you're nearer BKK than anywhere else.

Good luck and hope you get it fixed up OK.

lmacka

Jun 14, 2009
I ended up leaving all my crap at the Honda place and jumping on a bus to Pattaya. I've heard stories about this place and had to see it for myself.

At first glance there doesn't seem to much more to do here than drink and fornicate with the locals. The latter is difficult with a broken rib; by far the best contraception I've come across to date!

Aug 3, 2004
Sorry to hear about your mishap Imacka. I've just seem your post and so you are probably all patched up and gone by now. I have a couple of Phantoms and would be interested to know how old, how many km's etc yours is. The motor looks very dirty and there is a fair bit of oil around, Was it dry prior to the failure ? If it's still apart make sure they put a new timing chain in because some of the earlier ones were sus.
Cheers,
Peter