Tha-li border crossing from Thailand to Laos.

Nov 21, 2010
I am planning a trip upto Laos, crossing the border via Tha-Li. Although I was there a few months ago, but crossing from Laos to Thailand.

I assume the border is open 7 days a week.

I did read (but did not check last time) that there is Visa On Arrival at the Lao side. Is this correct?

Any descent place to spend the night at the Lao side?

Chang Noi

Mar 30, 2010
Changnoi1;304876 wrote: I am planning a trip upto Laos, crossing the border via Tha-Li. Although I was there a few months ago, but crossing from Laos to Thailand.

I assume the border is open 7 days a week.

I did read (but did not check last time) that there is Visa On Arrival at the Lao side. Is this correct?

Any descent place to spend the night at the Lao side?

Chang Noi

The border has visa on arrival... It can be slow on the Lao side.

Plenty of places to stay in Pak Lay. The road was good all the way up last time.

Believe you are right on the 7 days open.. but only 98% sure.. Someone else to confirm 100% on that.

Cheers
Brian

Nov 21, 2010
Thanks Brian .... I was thinking of staying a night at the border area as I want to explore the nearby area. Then a second night at Pak Lay to explore the area there. No idea about the next night.

No problem with a slow Lao side, I have the time.

I will probably arrive there Sunday .... well if closed I just come back the next day.

Chang Noi

Mar 7, 2014
brian_bkk;304878 wrote: The border has visa on arrival... It can be slow on the Lao side.

Plenty of places to stay in Pak Lay. The road was good all the way up last time.

Believe you are right on the 7 days open.. but only 98% sure.. Someone else to confirm 100% on that.

Cheers
Brian
That border is open daily from 8am to 6pm. The only two border crossings between Thailand and Laos that may not be open everyday are the Beung Kan/Paksan and Sri Chiang Mai/Vientiane crossings. The first crossing is open Mon-Fri from 8.30am to 4.30pm and sometimes on Saturday mornings. It may however still be possible to cross on Sundays if you charter a ferry and are prepared to wait for Lao immigration/customs on the Lao side and pay the overtime fees. The same is true for Sri Chiangmai/Vientiane, which is only for passengers (not vehicles) and is reportedly only open twice a week, on Tuesdays and Saturdays. Most people don't bother and just go to Nong Khai.

Strange that they [Tha Li/Nam heuang] close at 6pm yet Phu Du closes at 8pm while Phu Du is a much quieter crossing and more isolated on the Thai side. The Lao side both at Nam Heuang and Phu Du can be quite slow, especially customs. Immigration was OK.