(Thai) nuvi series prices go down ;)

mauris

May 15, 2009
Today ESRI made good move and reduced the prices for nuvi series.
It maybe because of dissatisfaction of some posts on GT forums (just kidding).
Anyway, new prices:
1. nuvi 200W - 8,900.- (3.000,- OFF)
2. nuvi 205 - 9.900.- (2.800,- OFF)
3. nuvi 205W - 10.900.- (2.000,- OFF)
4. nuvi 215W - 14.700.- (7.200,- OFF)
5. nuvi 200 - 6.900,- (Carrefoure - ESRI does not sale it for dealers any more)
6. nuvi 310 - 7.400,- (Carrefoure)

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
They are good for a cars but not for a bike, i can say from my behave, had 200 in my bike and it was fantastic for a while, but as it's not Scock proof,, died after few months, here is what Garmin page had to day abt there

These are quotes from Garmin web page, so they are not Motorcycle friendly

1. nuvi 200W -
Motorcycle-friendly: no
Waterproof: no

2. nuvi 205 -
Trucking-friendly: no
Marine-friendly: no

3. nuvi 205W -

4. nuvi 215W -

5. nuvi 200 -

6. nuvi 310 -

Oct 17, 2006
NUVI 205 is only £79 and Nuvi 205W is £99 in UK ,Singapore etc how come its double in Thailand?????

Auke

Nov 10, 2003
Well, we all complain about the high prices of bikes here in Thailand in comparison to home so I guess that in the case of a GPS the story is not that much different - taxes, import and other levies by Thailand probably will play an important role.

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
I Agree to Auke on that.
Any how What is cheap in EU or USA or even in HKG usually is way more expensive in here, but in the other hand, our daily lives here are cheaper that in EU or USA, rental,food,drinks,, little bit compensation for high prices for electronic's.
Thailand is thailand and it's never going to change, i just have learn to live with it.... :wink:

Dec 25, 2007
Marco wrote: They are good for a cars but not for a bike, i can say from my behave, had 200 in my bike and it was fantastic for a while, but as it's not Scock proof,, died after few months, here is what Garmin page had to day abt there

1. nuvi 200W -

2. nuvi 205 -

3. nuvi 205W -

4. nuvi 215W -

5. nuvi 200 -

6. nuvi 310 -
nuvi 550 -
Motorcycle-friendly: yes
Trucking-friendly: yes
Marine-friendly: yes
Waterproof: yes

Ride for more then a year now with the 550 on my KLX (off road and sometimes rain) , no problem until now :wink:

Bought mine in europe (aug 2008) but is available now in Thailand for about 16000 Baht (no ripoff price) at Eagle GPS in Chiang mai

Thought i paid 324 Euro last year if i remember good

Cheers

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
avantgarde wrote: [quote quote=Marco]They are good for a cars but not for a bike, i can say from my behave, had 200 in my bike and it was fantastic for a while, but as it's not Scock proof,, died after few months, here is what Garmin page had to day abt there

1. nuvi 200W -

2. nuvi 205 -

3. nuvi 205W -

4. nuvi 215W -

5. nuvi 200 -

6. nuvi 310 -
nuvi 550 -
Motorcycle-friendly: yes
Trucking-friendly: yes
Marine-friendly: yes
Waterproof: yes

Ride for more then a year now with the 550 on my KLX (off road and sometimes rain) , no problem until now :wink:

Bought mine in europe (aug 2008) but is available now in Thailand for about 16000 Baht (no ripoff price) at Eagle GPS in Chiang mai

Thought i paid 324 Euro last year if i remember good

Cheers
G'Day Avantgrande

Nuvi 550 is nice piece of GPS and very handy, only what i personally dont like it is lack of left hand buttons even there is touch screen, good for biking as it also has big wide screen..

I do noticed one thing what i find very odd, from https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=27442#nuvi550 web page mention that it's not Trucking friendly as you can see, What actually Garmin refers when they say NOt Trucking friendly?? not suitable for Trucks? but ok for cars and bikes?? :?

Im sure there is some one(Auke) who can explain this to my Scandinavian head...

May 25, 2006
HuaHin
Hi Marco, Hi Friends,

For me the 550 was the Zumo 550... http://www8.garmin.com/zumo/ Didn't know about Nuvi series.

Zumo, apart from town where I judge it useless due to the poor biker information it contains, this GPS seems good, I practice it with the BMW GS during 2 month but of course I am far from having explored all possibilities and functions of this accessory.

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
Azoulay wrote: Hi Marco, Hi Friends,

For me the 550 was the Zumo 550... http://www8.garmin.com/zumo/ Didn't know about Nuvi series.

Zumo, apart from town where I judge it useless due to the poor biker information it contains, this GPS seems good, I practice it with the BMW GS during 2 month but of course I am far from having explored all possibilities and functions of this accessory.
Azoulay

Im having Zumo 550 as well and love it, perfect for my use,,
Could you fill me in what you refer as poor biker information, is it in Zumo it self or mapping or something else?

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
So why do we then post & discuss about some Garmin stuff if that's not useable for bikers at all :? :wink: ? Or again someone wanting to make a living like some bloke in Pattaya who sold me the new old streetpilot III which was messed up and it took Auke some brainwork to get me at least a Rottweiler map installed after paying B12000 for an Esri map which couldn't be installed after all............ :evil:
For me GPS are still a NoNo as I have the routes in my brain before I go on a trip, find it much too dangerous in using it while riding. Still have the old one sitting unused between my FJR handlebars but hardly turn it on.
No offence, but looking at David's maps is the best routeprep anyone can get........ cheers, Franz

Auke

Nov 10, 2003
Marco wrote:
I do noticed one thing what i find very odd, from https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=27442#nuvi550 web page mention that it's not Trucking friendly as you can see, What actually Garmin refers when they say NOt Trucking friendly?? not suitable for Trucks? but ok for cars and bikes?? :?
Not sure if this is the right explanation: Zumo's and other GPS's are being and can be used in trucks without any problem.

However, a short time ago Garmin brought out the Nuvi 465T specifically for trucks. This is what Garmin says about the 465T:

------------------------------------
Nuvi 465 Truck-friendly navigation
Truck specific routing for lower 48 states, preloaded NTTS Breakdown Directory, preloaded street maps for North America, lane assist, FM lifetime traffic, Bluetooth® wireless, speaks street names, Where am I?, photo navigation

Ease your way down the highway with the nüvi 465T – our first nüvi designed specifically for the over-the-road trucking industry. Featuring specialized routing options throughout the lower 48 states and truck friendly points of interest, this full-featured navigator was made for life on the road.

The nüvi 465T is the first navigation device to provide locations in the National Truck and Trailer Services (NTTS) Breakdown Directory to its trucking-relevant points of interest. The NTTS Breakdown Directory is the most comprehensive guide to semi-truck repair facilities nationwide – including those offering 24-hour road service.

The nüvi 465T also lets you create custom vehicle profiles tailored to what you’re driving and what you’re hauling. It’s convenience created with over-the-road drivers in mind.

-------------------------------------------------

So basically this is so far the only GPS specifically designed for the US truck and specified as being "Truck friendly".

Not sure if this is in response to problems in the US - was reading this morning in the New York Times that New York wants to ban trucks from using a GPS. Apparently truckers, trying to find shortcuts, had hit flyovers over 200 times as the rigs were to high to pass under the flyover.

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
Thank you Trusted Auke...

Funny thou, as additional icons are awailable to any GPS, one can choose what ever icon to be shown as your ride from the net..I have Tank in my screen...LOL